Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Peering from US to UK bad
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Peering from US to UK bad

I have bad peering from my us server to the uk. Are there any ways to help fix this?

Comments

• Unless you tunnel the traffic through another host with better peering, no.

• Check your router for dust.

• Get a server with decent European connectivity or a US provider with LINX peering.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Change the provider to the one with better routes ?

• My home ISP uses better peering in the day time and terrible peering at night. I get 75ms ping to US east daytime, and 110ms at night (from Vancouver to NY). Ask your ISP to fix it.

• Oddly though, the upload is fine, but download speeds are bad. Running the speedtest mini script. Then testing the speed from a test file

• Who would be a good host to with? If I wanted good peering to the US and UK?

• I'm looking at dacentec, delimiter, ovh, and wholesaleinternet.

• OVH has a lot of EU peering.

• @camjac251 said:
    Oddly though, the upload is fine, but download speeds are bad. Running the speedtest mini script. Then testing the speed from a test file

Use a download manager that supports multiple connections

• @hostnoob said:
    Use a download manager that supports multiple connections

Can't. I want to use Plex and have connectivity be the best. Plex is single threaded

• @camjac251 said:
    Can't. I want to use Plex and have connectivity be the best. Plex is single threaded

Fair enough. Is EU hosting not an option?

• @hostnoob said:
    Fair enough. Is EU hosting not an option?

Not if my speeds to the US aren't good.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Ask the provider for a test file before committing.

• Is Softlayer any good with peering in general? Considering a host with them currently.

• BG32BG32 Member

Dacentec network bad as hell

• BG32 said: Dacentec network bad as hell

to the uk? lol it's really good, but i admit not as good as delimiter was during my tests.

• @camjac251 said:

Not if my speeds to the US aren't good.

What a reasoning.....

• camjac251 said: I'm looking at dacentec, delimiter, ovh, and wholesaleinternet.

For EU connectivity, stick to an EU server with OVH. Their network in EU is definitely one of the best.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

OVH is fantastic for the UK. I recently moved all my stuff over to OVH from Online as most of my users are in the UK and the network is so much better. With a direct presence in the UK it means no bad other carriers needed. Also found OVH fantastic all around the world (Sub 350ms TPGI Brisbane -> RBX6). WholeSale Internet/Datashack - avoid at all costs!

• TarZZ92 said: i admit not as good as delimiter was during my tests.

Delimiter -> most UK networks should be seriously fast. When we add Linx next month and start building up the peers it will increase further

@MarkTurner - make sure AS5089 and AS5400/A2856 are top of your peering list in the UK. Big networks with lots of potential customers.

• @hawc - we are already connected to BT (AS5400) so that should be fine, Virgin Media (AS5089) we are already discussing with them but we were previously peered with Telewest and NTL so it shouldn't be too much work.

• @MarkTurner - What's your experience of peering with VirginMedia? Are they easy to work with?

@MarkTurner - going back old skool then :P Another suggestion - ja.net (UK large education network)

• MarkTurner said: we are already connected to BT

and AS5413 :)

• TarZZ92 said: and AS5413 :)

IPs Originated (v4): 803,840

Sorry, but they're relatively small.

I'm confident that Mark et al will be attempting to gain as many peers as possible, so your individual requests are tedious.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited August 2015

kcaj said: IPs Originated (v4): 803,840

looking at overall IP's are not much of a indication. they have quite a Few CGNAT's too.

and they have IPV6 unlike some :) (NTL)

• kcaj said: @MarkTurner - What's your experience of peering with VirginMedia? Are they easy to work with?

Paid? Sure, quick as well.

Free? As you'd expect from a huge telco, sucks - Though not as bad as UPC, but needs traffic levels. No public peering.

Peering with one of the EU GEANT ISPs is always good as some also carry traffic for other members over usually dedicated circuits (like peering with GEANT2 in Paris gives you also prefixes from universities in Germany (routed via a peering port with the German DFN)