Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When to use static site generators?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

When to use static site generators?

VadVad Member
edited August 2011 in General

I recently came across static file generators in a post here, after checking some of them out I can see how they would be good to use for a blog or other similar site which has only one author. Most of these require coding in a non standard scripting language, so they may not be suitable for common users. Since I found so many of them and from the number of downloads they all seem to be reasonably popular, I was wondering what scenarios people use them in other then for single author blogs.

Comments

• Vad said: Most of these require coding in a non standard scripting language

You mean Python or Ruby? Those are very common, aren't they? :)

Saw this blog post yesterday:

http://www.allthingsdistributed.com/2011/08/Jekyll-amazon-s3.html

from the CTO of Amazon. Basically it describes how you can use those scripts (Jekyll or Cactus) to generate static HTML pages, and then upload them onto Amazon S3 (or a low end box running Nginx).

• From the different blogs I have read, some of them using jekyll others hyde their users decided on them for any of the following reasons:

• Wordpress or their CMS was too complex, they dont need so many features.
    • Wordpress or their CMS was too resource intesive even with a cache plugin.
    • Wordpress or their CMS was too slow.
    • The user wanted something simple, where they could write in a simple text editor and later update their site.
    • The user wanted to use something different for version control (git, mercurial....)

As for when its really up to you, depending on the budget you have for your vps and the current load you also have.