Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

China Tianjin blasts
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

China Tianjin blasts

CloudconeCloudcone Member, Patron Provider

Hope fellow let members are safe! :(

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-33945293

Comments

• Very tragic. All the best to the people of Tianjin... Let us hope the death toll stays at 85... The pictures don't look like it though...

• I can't imagine how "only" 85 people died after seeing the blast in the middle of a huge city. The injured must be seriously injured... :(

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2015

Yes, the dashboard video says the most, apart from those from homes.
    The coverup started, many people had their licenses removed for writing things without getting aproval first.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-33923472
    It took a lot of time, I think they had no plan for this kind of situation, I am sure censors will learn and the crackdown will get better.

• Isn't the worst part about this that the plants that exploded manufactured/stored large amounts of hazardous chemicals such as cyanide? Part of the concerns for these people should also be going forward, I can't imagine the effect that these chemicals will have on the people in Tiajin over the coming months and how many will die from breathing the poisons during the clean-up process.

It is quite depressing to say the least.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2015

I dont think so, the media black-out is the worst, same as in the case of chernobyl and other disasters, media must be your ally, not the enemy,help you spread the word, organize evacuation, not tell people to stay calm, there is nothing to worry about. I mean, what was the famous Ziklon B gas? Hydrogen cyanide which the 700 tones of sodium cyanide will release if in contact with the water, but it is deadly in powder form also.
    Did the firefighters know about the carbide and sodium cyanide? Secrecy kills.

• lifehomelifehome Member
    edited August 2015

#Fallout4 #Preview

• @TheKiller said:
    Very tragic. All the best to the people of Tianjin... Let us hope the death toll stays at 85... The pictures don't look like it though...

Because the first and second explosion occurred in the middle of the night and in the port warehouse, not many people were there. The burns, fractures and concussions caused by blast are the major diseases. After firefighters entered the fire, the explosion took place several times,which made heavy casualties. Bless them.

• Begs the question. Are we this stupid as human beings?

• XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2015

This is so unfortunate. RIP. The latest figures are over 110 Dead.

The crator looks like an asteroid hit.

• sinsin Member

Terrible :(

• XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2015

An ( uncomfirmed) uncomfortable fact may be, that the second explosion was a result of checmical reaction from water that was poured ( by the fire fighters ) after the first explosion.

• XiNiX said: An ( uncomfirmed) uncomfortable fact may be, that the second explosion was a result of checmical reaction from water that was poured ( by the fire fighters ) after the first explosion.

I doubt they reacted within 30 seconds, more likely that the first one was caused by it already.

• Wow did not even know about this until i came to LET, I feel so bad for the people affected by this.

• @Derek said:

Holy shit

• CloudconeCloudcone Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2015

So hard to believe l:\

Warning: contains slang words.

• @Quadcone said:
    So hard to believe l:\

Warning: contains slang words.

Wow that's fucking inane, I didn't know it was that big

• fkjfkj Member

@4n0nx said:
    I can't imagine how "only" 85 people died after seeing the blast in the middle of a huge city. The injured must be seriously injured... :(

It’s actually a port/place to store imports/exports, not the city center. Anyway this was really tragic.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member
    edited August 2015

People's reaction in these videos makes me want to punch them.

"did you get that " "woohohoho" "whoooohohooooooo" "are we dangerous here" "are you filming" "I think we are dangerous"

• pcanpcan Member

@hostnoob said: I didn't know it was that big

It doesn't take much to get a big fire in a industrial environement.
    Ten years ago I worked in a office next to a polystyrene factory on the other side of the road. One afternoon a colleague said: do you see smoke coming out from the factory? 3 minutes later, the flames coming out from the factory roof were at least 10 stories high, they were higher than the distance between the buildings. I newer saw a faster emptying of the building. I just had the time to grab the latest backup tapes before hurriyng out. No one was hurt: the plant was close for maintenance at the moment and the sprinkler system was out of service; we were lucky because there was no wind that day. The black mushroom cloud was visible from 50 Km and was reported in the news. We were allowed to return on site 3 days later. The fire was put off in 48 hours - basically they sprayed water on nearby buildings until everyting was totally burned out.

I learned in a pretty convincing way that is best to have a out-of-site backup plus a fresh offline core backup to carry out in a pinch, and that any physical offline backup must be stored in a fireproof box.