Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About Oracle VM Virtual Box
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

About Oracle VM Virtual Box

I want some opinions about Oracle's Virtual Box.
Is it stable enough for creating a couple (maybe 1-2 more) vm's for personal use, in a server environment? Does it hang alot or is mature? Is it a recourse hole or can it handle good enough the vm's on it?
Those vm's will be used for activities like streaming video, hosting a couple of sites, ftping etc. VirtualBox will be setup in a 4 cores server with 8GB mem.
I have not been ever used it in a server, just in my home pc for testing some os. I just installed it today to play a little with and I am impressed with the easines of creating vm's, setting up the specs of the virtual machine, configuring the NAT port forwarders etc.

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

i have never had an issue with virtual box

Thanked by 2jvnadr doghouch
  • virtualbox is mature enough, i dont see any reason you cant use it on a server

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • @Awmusic12635 @namhuy Thanks, guys!
    That's what I thought, in the last couple of days playing with it in the server. It seem mutch more mature and easy to handle that other virt systems out there and i was wonder why it don't have enough praise for a personal server in the LET comminity.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2015

I use it since many years, i was looking for an OS alternative to VMWare.
    The only thing I didnt like is the lack of an easy way to run VMs headless, something like VMWare server, with a web console, I went back to vmware when they launched server 2.0 which was free.
    It is not as stable as vmware, during the years it happened a few times to have "aborted" VMs without a known cause, but few and far between.

• Yes it is enough for you to create personal VM for testing stuffs on it but i will not suggest to use this on any production server. To use on your own desktop would be great

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited August 2015

@Awmusic12635 said:
    i have never had an issue with virtual box

It's great for going to survey/virus-filled websites. If/when the machine gets infected, I simply reload my ISO and load my custom image (Win7 with Google Chrome). In the end, I can safely say "it's all good" knowing that any harmful programs wouldn't reach my actual files.