Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hey Peeeps
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hey Peeeps

We just started running our new VPS servers today! I was just wondering what a good starting price point is? We use OpenVZ on a 16 core quad xeon system, 128 GB RAM, with raid 10 SSDs and Raid 10 Enterprise HD's for the bulk.

Our network is multi-honed in Las Vegas with the fastest connections available out here.

Thanks!

Comments

• Free.

Thanked by 4BG32 cassa Rob92 thagoat
  • That questions is too broad. Specify the resources first per VM first.

• vpsGODvpsGOD Member, Host Rep

@dwhs make the business plans yourself.

• $7 and below for this website :)

• dwhsdwhs Member
    edited August 2015

I would love to have a business plan if I knew more about VPS, I have read a lot and talked to the techs but it's all new to us. We have been hosting since 2001 just never did VPS. The specs can be anything.

Right now we start at $18.99 for a gig of ram, 10gb space, 10MPS bandwidth, 1 core of 4 quad CPUs.

Thanks Tar, I was thinking of a really cheap plan like that.

• @dwhs said:
    I would love to have a business plan if I knew more about VPS, I have read a lot and talked to the techs but it's all new to us. We have been hosting since 2001 just never did VPS. The specs can be anything.

Right now we start at $18.99 for a gig of ram, 10gb space, 10MPS bandwidth, 1 core of 4 quad CPUs.

You're in the wrong forum.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • dwhsdwhs Member

Sorry, what forum should I be in?

@Jonchun said:

• @dwhs said:
    Sorry, what forum should I be in?

Try WebHostingTalk or VPSBoards. No one is interested in anything close to your pricing here unfortunately.

Thanked by 1alexvolk
  • TheOnlyDKTheOnlyDK Member
    edited August 2015

I'll take one @ $18.99/year for 1GB of ram and 10Mbps of unmetered BW. And no, $18.99 a month isn't for LOW END talk.

Thanked by 1lostinwoods
  • dwhsdwhs Member

I see price wise for here, yeah I was thinking more in general. We might make a special plan here later if we can afford it.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@dwhs said:

'Hi, I've just started offering something with absolutely no knowledge of the market and no plan on how to make it sustainable and I'm coming to well-known forum of cheapskates to help define my pricing strategy. Would you like to buy from me?'

Fuck off, you melon. Piss off back to the hole you crawled out of and come back when you've made some actual effort beyond a couple of forum posts.

• dwhsdwhs Member
    edited August 2015

lol Someone is a real sweetheart ;) The hole I crawled out of is Silicon Valley, you should visit when your not all angry. How about you try to be helpful now and talk about price points.

@Nekki said:

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@dwhs said:
    lol Someone is a real sweetheart ;) The hole I crawled out of is Silicon Valley, you should visit when your not all angry.

I'm always angry.

Fuck off back to Silicon Valley then, I don't care where you came from, you're clearly still a twat.

Thanked by 1alexvolk
  • Can you justify why your 1GB VPS costs $19/month and why it's called a "cloud" VPS?

Thanked by 1ehab
  • Let's say same specs (even better) I can buy 3 vps with your price. Why should we choose you?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@dwhs said:
    I would love to have a business plan if I knew more about VPS, I have read a lot and talked to the techs but it's all new to us.

And so you figured the best way would be to learn on live Customers? Excellent.

• wychwych Member

@Nekki go and get some coffee bud!

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • The Lord is back!! Love you @Nekki. You missed some drama on mpkossen not allowing ColoCrossing offers :P

• mrsdoylemrsdoyle Member
    edited August 2015

hey

this sounds like an amazing opportunity, I get to pay you 18.99 a month while you 'learn' how to provide vps

much better than paying 10 a month to digital ocean who know what they are doing

where do I sign up

• NekkiNekki Veteran

TinyTunnel_Tom said: You missed some drama on mpkossen not allowing ColoCrossing offers :P

Peeps who can will tunnel. Peeps who can't will have to fuck off. No big drama there I reckon. I'm for anything that weeds out the chaff, like this clown.

Thanked by 1TinyTunnel_Tom
  • @dwhs said:

Why would you go into this business with no knowlege. You should of had the business plan before investing in the server.

• @JLPHOST said:
    Why would you go into this business with no knowlege. You should of had the business plan before investing in the server.

this guy probably 'invested' 6 euro in a kimsufi

Thanked by 1JLPHOST
  • If you're serious about vps don't do let pricing. These folks expect rock bottom prices and platinum support.

Linode Digital Ocean Vultr are the lowest you should consider matching. With that said openvz hosts are a dime a dozen. You'll really have to have something special in that market.

• openvz shouldn't be allowed to be advertised as vps

it's a container at best

Thanked by 2vimalware ucxo
  • wych said: @Nekki go and get some coffee bud!

Agree, but at least he was funny, and the OP did take it rather graciously.

That said, I do think the thread question is a bit oddly put. Is he asking for others to do his research? That doesn't sound productive in this case where he probably knows his own strengths better than we do. Also, I'm sure the OP (and/or company) does have skills, but saying outright that "if I knew more about [it]" I'd have a business plan, on a forum like this does seem ill-advised.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Ole_Juul said: Agree, but at least he was funny, and the OP did take it rather graciously.

I think most people have learned that it's unwise to attempt to out-profanity me by now, so they take the high road. I like to think I'm making the world a little bit better in my own, sweary way.

• dwhsdwhs Member

@mrsdoyle said:

lol digital ocean is 3 years old, we are 15 years old in the hosting industry. let's not go into their amazing historical experience.

@Clouvider said:

Getting feedback from customers, that's exactly how big companies do it and the movie industry and just about any major company.

In LA movie studios pay a ton to bring in regular people to watch a show before it came out to get honest feedback and direction. Seriously though from a business perspective, it's important to understand this. Dominoes does the same, sometimes with products they are just starting with.

That why websites have feedback forms and send out requests for surveys ect...

It would really be amazing if a business that was successful without getting feedback from customers.

With that said, I'm not here for customers. I'm just here to talk about a VPS starting price point. Nothing more, nothing less.

@gsrdgrdghd said: Can you justify why your 1GB VPS costs $19/month and why it's called a "cloud" VPS?

Good question, I came to the $16.99 price because a professional dedicated servers run around $130 normally for an 8 gig Xeon with 30MBPS

So I was thinking 10MBPS with 1gig of ram and 10gigs of space on a virtual system is about equal to the difference in price. This is also about the price for most quality VPS services I could find.

The cloud term is because we are clustering the VPS between our DC in LA and Vegas. Just the core and backups, not the VPS. In all honesty I don't like the term, it's gets throw around to much. Before cloud was a process it was thrown around a lot as a description for anything uploaded to. People do relate to it though but I might request to to get rid of it.

@JLPHOST said:

I have been in business since 2001 hosting, as I already said and it has been accomplished and much more.

@lazyt said:

Thanks, yeah I'm Just trying to find what a good starting price for selling VPS is for now. Nothing special about it. It's hosting, people choose you for who you are as a company, your product, and if the price fits. I'm sure VPS will be the same. To be honest I never liked it, we just get a lot of requests by people that need root but don't need the power of a full server.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited August 2015

@dwhs, LET folks are a bit sceptical but it seems like you've an honest question.

There's a nice market for people wanting to host websites but need just a small amount of resources, e.g. 128MB RAM / 5GB disk / 1 IPv4 and minimal bandwidth. $20/year. I like going after those small sized containers.

Good luck in finding a sweet spot that's worthwhile.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

10mbps port is low, especially for almost $20 per month. Maybe you can look up on blue ocean strategy to open up new market.

• All of us which are helping you to set your prices should get a VPS for free for lifetime. You can sell them somewhere else at the prices we told you. Deal? :p