Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sending E-Mail without source IP thru VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Sending E-Mail without source IP thru VPS

nandikanandika Member
edited August 2015 in Help

Hi!
I have a high traffic website.
Due to DDoS protection measures I'm hiding the original server IP in every possible way.

For e-mail sending I'm using a HTTP passthru to a VPS: posting all mail data via curl to a VPS with open IP, and that was sending the mail, so the original server address is not seen).

This now prevents me to send a mass-mailing to all of my customer base, which is becoming bigger and bigger.

When I've tried to send a mass mailing, the VPS's apache halted with an 500 Error, waiting to be rebooted.

My question would be if there is any tutorial here to setup an SMTP server which does not show my server's original IP? I was trying out authmailer.com service, but that forwards the originating IP in a header field, which allowed my original server to be attacked via the IP

Thanks for the help in advance!

Comments

• Yes. Use SMTP and add this to postfix to remove the IP address of the "hidden" server from the headers:

##remove IP header##
    # requires postfix-pcre (apt-get install postfix-pcre)
    #header_checks has the following content:
    #/^\s*(Received: from)[^\n]*(.*)/ REPLACE $1 [127.0.0.1] (localhost [127.0.0.1])$2
    #
    #smtp_header_checks = pcre:/etc/postfix/header_checks

Taken from:

https://tech.tiq.cc/2014/02/how-to-set-up-an-email-server-with-postfix-and-dovecot-without-mysql-on-debian-7/

Thanked by 2nandika aglodek
  • Also check for Originating IP

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

And why not just use a 3rd party smtp provider? Sendgrid for example. It's cheap enough

• @AlexBarakov said:
    And why not just use a 3rd party smtp provider? Sendgrid for example. It's cheap enough

only tried authmailer, but they've forwarded my server ip to everyone.

• BruceBruce Member
    edited August 2015

@AlexBarakov said:

:

Open your free SendGrid account
    Send up to 12,000 emails a month, no credit card needed, no expiration.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Use Mandrilll perhaps for transactional and Mailchimp for mailing?

• TomTom Member

SendGrid forwards your server IP too, just a warning.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@Clouvider said:
    Use Mandrilll perhaps for transactional and Mailchimp for mailing?

Mandrill will not hide your origin.

• I'm looking at setup of a different VPS, just for private mail relay. same reason, to avoid disclosure of server IP that is "protected" by cloudflare. current plan is to VPN / gre tunnel to the VPS, so origin IP will then be 192.168.x.x rather than external IP of the server.

if there's a better plan, I'm listening. surely can't be first to need this solution

• Uhm..what about a nice DDoS protection?

• Bruce said: if there's a better plan, I'm listening. surely can't be first to need this solution

There is one just a few posts above you:

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1212142/#Comment_1212142

• @4n0nx said:
    There is one just a few posts above you:

which I am going to test. thanks for the info. seems too good to be true, that's all. easy to test, so will find out soon enough

• Bruce said: which I am going to test. thanks for the info. seems too good to be true, that's all. easy to test, so will find out soon enough

I use it on several mail servers, just because I can (there is no reason for the headers to stay), and it works flawlessly. :D

Thanked by 1Bruce
  • MrXMrX Member

Mailjet does not disclose origin IP. It's free up to 6,000 emails per month or 200 per day. Non-free tiers aren't too bad either.

https://www.mailjet.com/pricing_v3

Thanked by 2Bruce mht7011