Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap Wildcard SSL Certificate - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap Wildcard SSL Certificate

Comments

• @TheOnlyDK said:
    I don't see wildcard available, am I missing something? I think you are talking about multi-domain certs, which are different than wildcard certs.

You are right, of course. Sorry for the misinformation.

• @nexusrain said:
    pr0be The question isn't only the price, everyone can do his / her own SSLs, the question is how many browsers accept it.

They are using Startcom root so it's accepted by many browsers.
    You can register one for free and test it. ;-)

Thanked by 1nexusrain
  • nexusrainnexusrain Member
    edited August 2015

@pr0be said:

Oh, alright then. Giving them a try now for 7 domains. Already verified them, let's see :)

Edit: "Certificate request is submitted successfully."

Edit 2: Wow, awesome!! Really working and they were much faster with issuing than estimated (which had been next monday)! I think I'll grab one more for some more subdomains. Very recommended and thanks a lot, @pr0be!

Edit 3: Just looks kinda meh if it says "WoSign CA Free SSL Certificate G2" but how many people check what's the CA of the ssl of a website and hey, it's free :)

• @4n0nx said:
    I think it lets you add up to 100 valid domains/subdomains to one cert, so yes. :D

It's not 100% the same since there are much more work to do than create a CSR for *.domain.com. Good thing is that it will support a.domain.com, b.help.com and c.billing.com in one cert.

Anyone know if it's possible in the future to add more domains/subdomains to the same cert?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2015

TheOnlyDK said: Anyone know if it's possible in the future to add more domains/subdomains to the same cert?

Certs, once issued, are obviously non-editable. You just request a new one from them with a different (expanded) set of domains. As a bonus that way you also shift the expiration date some months into the future.

Thanked by 1TheOnlyDK
  • @rm_ said:
    Certs, once issued, are obviously non-editable.

Ya, that's what I thought. But if I get a new cert, can it be part of a tld that's been issued? Like I have a.domain.com in the first cert then 2 months later I need b.domain.com, would that work with their system?

edited August 2015

TheOnlyDK said: Like I have a.domain.com in the first cert then 2 months later I need b.domain.com, would that work with their system?

Sure, they don't check if they already issued you certs with some of the domains you add to a new one.

Thanked by 1TheOnlyDK
    edited August 2015

Another way of doing this, is e.g. if you added 50 domains, now want to have 51, but also want to avoid re-verifying them all, is to just get a cert for that 1 extra domain, and then use SNI on your server to figure out whether to send the 50-domain cert or the 1-domain new one depending on which domain is requested. And keep getting new certs as you go, each for a small number of domains. Might get hard to keep track of all the expiration dates, though.

(inb4 yes SNI is well supported in all browsers and OSes that matter, there is no reason to avoid it).

• elgselgs Member

@Gunter said:

HostMyBytes

• @rm_ said:
    Another way of doing this, is e.g. if you added 50 domains, now want to have 51, but also want to avoid re-verifying them all, is to just get a cert for that 1 extra domain, and then use SNI on your server to figure out whether to send the 50-domain cert or the 1-domain new one depending on which domain is requested. And keep getting new certs as you go, each for a small number of domains. Might get hard to keep track of all the expiration dates, though.

That, my friend, is too much work for a couple of dollars a year. I would rather sleep 2 more hours than to save a couple of dollars and get cans of monster or red bull to keep me awake through the day.

Thanked by 1lostinwoods
    edited August 2015

TheOnlyDK said: That, my friend, is too much work for a couple of dollars a year.

Yeah, but up until recently the "couple of dollars" wildcard certs weren't as widely available.

And if you were going to do the recreate cert thing to add domains with WoSign, what I described is just a simpler way to achieve the same, at least if you had a considerable number of domains on it in the first place.

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited August 2015

rm_ said: (inb4 yes SNI is well supported in all browsers and OSes that matter, there is no reason to avoid it).

Do not spread misinformation. You're making people lose money.

I guess your target market does not include WinXP or Android (older devices) then? You can't just say "they should upgrade if they want to see my site" if I'm losing money for each visitor that can't see my site.

Everyone, there is still a big traffic share whose clients do NOT support SNI and thus SNI shall not yet be relied upon for production/money sites.

Unless you like losing money, of course.

Thanked by 1Alt
    edited August 2015

Traffic said: I guess your target market does not include WinXP then?

The only problematic combination that is even remotely relevant today, is not just WinXP, it's Internet Explorer on WinXP. Yes, people can use SNI just fine on WinXP if they install Chrome/Firefox/etc.

As for IE, I just checked https://top.mail.ru/ global stats, Windows XP is 7.6% overall, IE is 5.8% overall (combined for all versions, including those which afaik will not install on WinXP). So how much is the SNI-problematic group, a simple estimate tells us 0.076*0.058 = 0.0044, less than a half percent at most.

Not to mention that if a person still uses old IE on old WinXP, something tells me they are not in the most profitable group around, no matter what you sell.

Thanked by 1boernd
  • rm_ said: Not to mention that if a person still uses old IE on old WinXP, something tells me they are not in the most profitable group around, no matter what you sell.

Wrong. However I'm not here to discuss demographics of business owners.

rm_ said: less than a half percent at most.

You have never run a business, right? 0,5% is relevant figure, moreover when most of those users are your target market.

• So much for COMODO PositiveSSL certificates :/

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Traffic said:
    You have never run a business, right? 0,5% is relevant figure, moreover when most of those users are your target market.

Perhaps it's you who targets the wrong market?
    Not a dig, genuine question.

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited August 2015

@mikho said:
    Not a dig, genuine question.

Not willing to upgrade your computer does not mean not having money to do so. And 0.5% is not a value low enough to simply discard. That is what I meant - not that they're my target market.

That might be the traffic you want - how would you know if they can't even access your site?

edited August 2015

Traffic said: You have never run a business, right? 0,5% is relevant figure

If your "business" is so huge that losing even 0.5% of customers means a boat-load of money, then what the fuck are you doing in a thread about cheapest SSL certificates?

Thanked by 2yomero TheCTS
  • 4n0nx4n0nx Member
    edited August 2015

I locked out almost all Mac OS users by using a 8192 bit rsa key. Turns out Apple broke compatibility with a patch in 2006(!) and still has not fixed it. I don't know if Chrome relies on the same libraries, but it works with Firefox (brings its own I think).

I don't understand why they won't fix it? Is this some NSA plot to weaken cryptography or wat :D [/conspiracy]

edit: talking about safari

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited August 2015

rm_ said: If your "business" is so huge that losing even 0.5% of customers means a boat-load of money, then what the fuck are you doing in a thread about cheapest SSL certificates?

Yet again you've proven you know nothing about business.

Every extra client matters, moreover when each one can make you in upwards of $1k.

EDIT: If you're such a traffic management expert, who can predict and analyze trends and data properly, what are you doing here instead of making a killing on CPAs? This is getting ridiculous...

• @rm_ said:

>

Windows XP is 7.6% overall

>

IE is 5.8% overall

>

a simple estimate tells us 0.076*0.058 = 0.0044

I'd guess that people who're willing to stay with XP are also more likely to stay with the vanilla IE as well. So an estimate would be, like, 25% of XP users are using vanilla IE, make it 1.9% overall.

According to Baidu Statistics1, IE 6.0 is 4.69% overall.

edited August 2015

Traffic said: Yet again you've proven you know nothing about business.

You seem to be more eager to prove that I don't know something, than that you know anything.

Just an impression your posts give off.

• rm_ said: You seem to be more eager to prove that I don't know something, than that you know anything.

I'm afraid your psychological projection makes it the other way around. Kindly re-read the whole monologue I just had (your replies weren't actual criticism of mine) and try to stop being so incredibly... squarehead.

Traffic said: Kindly re-read the whole monologue

Sorry I'm busy at the moment, studying your Wikipedia links.

Thanked by 2shafire Jonchun
  • @Traffic said:
    Bla bla bla

Your website (vrtz.net) is JavaScript only and hiding behind a whois protection company. I did not google that much – here something from 2013: https://gds.blog.gov.uk/2013/10/21/how-many-people-are-missing-out-on-javascript-enhancement/

So, fix it, unless ...

@Traffic said:
    Unless you like losing money, of course.

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited August 2015

shafire said: Your website (vrtz.net) is JavaScript only

Correct. My target audience is tech-savvy and, being a hobby site, I have no reason to make sure the perfect 100% of the global population can access it.

shafire said: and hiding behind a whois protection company

Correct as well. Is there any SEO problem with that? A performance benefit of disabling it? Or any other thing I should be aware of other than you trying to find lots of reasons to discredit my words? https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/ad-hominem

shafire said: So, fix it, unless ...

Why? I can be perfectly correct in what I say, while choosing NOT to use my own advice in EVERY project I start.

Everything has a place and a time - you do not kill a fly with a cannon.

• shafireshafire Member
    edited August 2015

EDIT: I don't really fancy doing that.

• @nexusrain said:
    Edit 3: Just looks kinda meh if it says "WoSign CA Free SSL Certificate G2" but how many people check what's the CA of the ssl of a website and hey, it's free :)

I probably wouldn't use it for an E-commerce site or say WHMCS (Or whatever equivalent people run) but it's great for things like owncloud and various webapps.

• Normal people don't check these certificates, especially not who it was issued by. It's probably mostly checked by people who are more technically aware and knowledgeable, not by your typical facebook and buzzfeed fiend who make up the bulk of internet visitors.

dragon2611 said: I probably wouldn't use it for an E-commerce site or say WHMCS (Or whatever equivalent people run) but it's great for things like owncloud and various webapps.

edited August 2015

nexusrain said: Edit 3: Just looks kinda meh if it says "WoSign CA Free SSL Certificate G2" but how many people check what's the CA of the ssl of a website and hey, it's free :)

You could have chosen to receive the Chinese version of the certificate, then it would say "CA 沃通免费SSL证书 G2" :) Still says "free", but now in Chinese, so not plainly obvious. I chose this option, to me this way it looks unusual, more interesting and perhaps even carries a certain charm (in the past I learned a kanji or two, albeit for Japanese). However I don't use this to secure an eCommerce website, just my hobby one.

This discussion has been closed.