Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap Wildcard SSL Certificate - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap Wildcard SSL Certificate

Comments

• @TheOnlyDK said:

It's a SH cert, but it looks that almost everyone who is selling wildcards at <$15 just resells them. So no reason to go through potentially several intermediaries if you know the source and don't want all of them to know your CRT data (yes, it's available to them - and it's a security risk).

• I spent the $59 to become Level 2 certified at StartSSL. Now I can generate as many regular and wildcard SSL certificates for free as I need over the next two years, for domains that I own.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

@Traffic said:
    Nowadays I can get both normal and wildcards for free. And yes, it's trusted (at least mine - not sure if the one you mentioned is the same type) - the site in my signature uses one of them.

How?

• tommytommy Member
    edited August 2015

.. removed

• @Traffic said:
    It's a SH cert, but it looks that almost everyone who is selling wildcards at <$15 just resells them. So no reason to go through potentially several intermediaries if you know the source and don't want all of them to know your CRT data (yes, it's available to them - and it's a security risk).

Can you PM me the source of free SSLs .
    Thank You.

• @Radi said:
    How?

Mridul said: Can you PM me the source of free SSLs . Thank You.

You can't just get them. Gotta be a member of the Lyon's Choir Crypt Society. Are you a member of the LCCS? If so you should have received the info in your welcome letter.

• @Traffic said:
    [...] and don't want all of them to know your CRT data (yes, it's available to them - and it's a security risk).

A certificate without the private key is useless, or do you mean they have that as well?

• qrwteyrutiyoup said: A certificate without the private key is useless, or do you mean they have that as well?

Damn you're right. Of course not, only the CRT..

• @DougWare said: I spent the $59 to become Level 2 certified at StartSSL. Now I can generate as many regular and wildcard SSL certificates for free as I need over the next two years, for domains that I own.

Seriously?

• NeoXiDNeoXiD Member
    edited August 2015

@aglodek said:
    Seriously?

True (only for 360 days or so though, but 2 years certificate validity), but:

• They require a uncensored scan of your passport
    • They require a recent, uncensored utility bill
    • They require your address & phonenumber
    • They keep all that data for 7 years
    • They're allowed to ask for even more, which they'll do if you're unlucky

They're located in Israel. Nice and friendly guys, for sure, but I had concerns about identity theft, as giving out all that data is... kinda insane.

And for everyone wondering why he/she is paying that much more for his certificates: You've just discovered the certificate mafia. The only thing which some more expensive certificates offer is a higher insurance value.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@asf said:
    ~5$ alphassl from Mahfuz_SS_EHL

Thanks for the Mention.

• @NeoXiD said:
    And for everyone wondering why he/she is paying that much more for his certificates: You've just discovered the certificate mafia. The only thing which some more expensive certificates offer is a higher insurance value.

I sent them a photo of the front of my driver's license and an edited utility bill that only showed my address and the "letterhead".

They will need a phone number to call and verify it's you.

It was worth it to me. I ended up getting two wildcard certs, but one of them has a lot of domains on it.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I don't trust people reselling SingleHop certs outside of their terms. I'm pretty happy with GoGetSSL's own branded wildcard, which is just Comodo marked down a little. It's $42 for a reseller, which anyone can be you just have to sign up for.

• elgselgs Member

@rm_ said:
    Because a cert is just a couple of kilobytes and a few seconds of crypto computation time on a server. It's basically free to make, and you can make as much as you want at no extra cost.

Just got one. Saved me hundreds of $.

• elgs said: Just got one. Saved me hundreds of $.

where?

• Traffic said: don't want all of them to know your CRT data (yes, it's available to them - and it's a security risk).

Security risk? Don't you send the crt to every browser that connects?

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Just spoke directly with strategic manager of AlphaSSL, he told quite interesting information regarding super cheap AlphaSSL Wildcards. They have few large hosting providers that have bundle contracts, but they are not allowed to re-sell them outside own servers.

AlphaSSL will find out the SSL is being misused and will revoke them. If the company is not obtaining the certificates this way.

So please, be careful, as your certs can be revoked, and probably no refund will be....

• @gogetssl said:
    So please, be careful, as your certs can be revoked, and probably no refund will be....

This has been discussed before, yes it is possible for GlobalSign to revoke those certs, but why would they do that? It would cost them more to revoke than to issue more certs. Can I understand that you posted here just because this "pricing" has affected your sales?

• @TheOnlyDK #rekt :D

I can't wait for "let's encrypt" to start in September. See how the prices will plummet. :)

• Thanks to @Silvenga as well. The cheapest SSL I ever got so far and @HostMyBytes support was very quick for me as well. Now my "special" url shortener linked in my sig has a SSL as well :)

Thanked by 3HostMyBytes 4n0nx elgs
  • Wosing.com is offering free wilcard domain-validated domains:
    https://buy.wosign.com/free/

Thanked by 1nexusrain
  • @pr0be The question isn't only the price, everyone can do his / her own SSLs, the question is how many browsers accept it.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Let's encrypt won't be issuing wildcards sadly.

• TheOnlyDKTheOnlyDK Member
    edited August 2015

@pr0be said:
    Wosing.com is offering free wilcard domain-validated domains:
    https://buy.wosign.com/free/

I don't see wildcard available, am I missing something? I think you are talking about multi-domain certs, which are different than wildcard certs.

• @gogetssl said:

Fair enough. Everyone should avoid losing $3 by purchasing yours at $58 instead. /s

Thanked by 2Gunter rm_
  • @4n0nx said:
    I can't wait for "let's encrypt" to start in September. See how the prices will plummet. :)

You will have to wait longer now, it got once again pushed back to the week of Nov 16. Keep waiting, it will eventually be ready, hopefully before Christmas.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • Radi said: Let's encrypt won't be issuing wildcards sadly.

-_- ffs. What about subdomains?

TheOnlyDK said: I don't see wildcard available, am I missing something? I think you are talking about multi-domain certs, which are different than wildcard certs.

I think it lets you add up to 100 valid domains/subdomains to one cert, so yes. :D Unfortunately I never received my certificate after giving them the csr. :(

• TheOnlyDK said: You will have to wait longer now, it got once again pushed back to the week of Nov 16. Keep waiting, it will eventually be ready, hopefully before Christmas.

.... ok hostmybytes here I come. I'd say $5 are an acceptable amount to spend for a wildcard certificate.

Thanked by 1HostMyBytes
  • AeneAene Member

@nexusrain said:
    Thanks to Silvenga as well. The cheapest SSL I ever got so far and HostMyBytes support was very quick for me as well.

Have to say the same although I might have confused the support team so now I'm waiting. Let's see how it goes.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2015

You can also get a @VMbox VPS, and they give you a 1 year wildcard cert for free. They used to have VPS a plan for $3/mo, but now the lowest is $5/mo. Also $20/year is still available.
    http://www.lowendtalk.com/profile/discussions/1470/VMbox

This discussion has been closed.