Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Why Linode Sucks" - A Personal Rant - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

"Why Linode Sucks" - A Personal Rant

Comments

• @vpsnodebox said: @Chief Have you ever considered that maybe they didn't (and still don't) want to deal with the problem?

I also thought that but imho their price is/should be a guarantee that they deal with their clients problems. What else would justify such a high price?

• Yep, I'm pretty aware of that even though I don't use CloudFlare at all. Their business model is to help regular site with DDOS as well as caching, DNS is just part of their services and there are users who benefit from it definitely, such as LET is using their DNS right now.

As mentioned, the plus point is their anycast DNS, minus point is that they are targets of regular DDOS probably due to other users. Maybe for LET/LEB the pro outweighs the cons, but for regular website hosting that aren't DDOS targets, running your own DNS cluster on some of the 15-20/year servers would probably be more efficient than relying on a shared service. At least you're in control of the servers.

• LV_MattLV_Matt Member
    edited September 2012

@Chief @gsrdgrdghd @William @liam

In regards to the cypriot police being lazy I think not, from what I understood he claimed to live in Nicosia, which is both the capital of the Cyprus and Northern Cyprus (or as the turkish call it: The Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus) which is a self declared state after the turkish invasion in 1974.

If he does live or live near Nicosia its almost possible that it was reported to the wrong authorities, sadly due to the poor network infrastructure within Cyprus (especially within Nicosia) it can be difficult to tell which part of Nicosia he is from (or even Cyprus) for that matter.

Although relations are still improving between the two sides there still remains a deep lingering bitterness between the two side, resulting in information which will most likely not get passed on.

In Cyprus (as a whole) there are still abandoned towns after the turkish invasion along with UN Buffer Zones, British army bases etc. Although the war is over there is still strong feelings against either side and the turkish have also been known to accept Asylum seekers from the Cypriot side on occasions.

So in reality its fair to say that he who shall not be named will most likely never be found.

Abandoned Nicosia Airpot

• serverbearserverbear Member
    edited September 2012

We're storing all CPU data and plan on showing which providers are most proactive with upgrades (and which aren't).

I've contacted hosts 4 times in the last week after seeing poor quality results & 100% of the time the user is on an old neglected node and new customers are put on newer hardware.

• @gsrdgrdghd said: I also thought that but imho their price is/should be a guarantee that they deal with their clients problems. What else would justify such a high price?

Private airplanes, luxury vacations in the Bahamas, private yachts, the Country Club & Golf Club memberships, you don't think that they just slave away all day now, do you? That's where the money is going. Their entire site site is made with free open source software, zero customization, I mean they are so f*cking cheap that they won't even pay for Akismet or Molom to monitor the comments. Zero customization. Yeah, they have that control panel, big woop.

• @serverbear Old customers always get the newest nodes with the newest hardware offered to them. It's a simple common sense policy, as they helped me and my 3 guys here get of the ground. They don't always want the upgrades because they don't want to be moved. But I admit, it sucks being neglected.

• So what do you guys suggest the providers should be doing with old (1-2 years old), but fully functional and reliable nodes - throw them in the thrash? Doesn't sound right.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2012

@rds100 said: So what do you guys suggest the providers should be doing with old (1-2 years old), but fully functional and reliable nodes - throw them in the thrash? Doesn't sound right.

Sell it on? But I do see where you're coming from.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2012

I would like to point out that we were never hit with a DDOS attack during the fiasco mentioned above. We opened a ticket with our DC so they wouldn't be caught off guard if an attack came in so they could act quickly, they monitored the Twitter and after seeing our name posted multiple times they called me up and told me I had 30 minutes to move our website off of their IPs or they would null all of our client IPs. I didn't have any plans of moving the website so I took our webserver offline until I could find a replacement which Aldryic and Francisco were willing to help us with.

This was one of the main reasons why we moved to our new DC and have our own nullrouting system in place which automatically nullroutes an IP for 15 minutes when under attack.

As for the "old hardware" discussion, we don't plan on paying $1.5k per node anytime soon and our clients don't complain. :)

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • @Infinity said: Sell it on? But I do see where you're coming from.

This is not even realistic. Linode is using actual old hardware. At least that is what I keep seeing claimed. I know I am adding nodes every month, so I assume they would too? Or are they shrinking?

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • @vpsnodebox said: for their mediocre VPS servers and sub-par customer service

Is this based on your personal experience or on what other people have said? Frankly, I think it's grade A rubbish.

And as someone wrote in another thread,

don't talk down on other providers because you never know when you will need them.

• @miTgiB said: This is not even realistic. Linode is using actual old hardware. At least that is what I keep seeing claimed. I know I am adding nodes every month, so I assume they would too? Or are they shrinking?

As far as I've seen (and I had a linode on and of for the past 2 and 1/2 years) they are using the same hardware. Their provider is SoftLayer Technologies, and SoftLayer is always upgrading. All of this "we have 40,000+ customers and we are getting more every day..." smells to me like a bunch of bullshit. I think that this year the shit hit the fan and that Linode is on the decline. Never mind that I'm pretty sure that their investors (and they must have a few) aren't to happy about it.

Some benchmarks and specs of a 512MB Linode:

DD

[root@intvps ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=sb-io-test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 10.676 s, 101 MB/s

free -m

[root@intvps ~]# free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           496        447         49          0         10        359
    -/+ buffers/cache:         77        419
    Swap:          511          8        503

cpuinfo (0 trough 3, only posted #3)

processor       : 3
    vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
    cpu family      : 6
    model           : 26
    model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           L5520  @ 2.27GHz
    stepping        : 5
    microcode       : 0x16
    cpu MHz         : 2266.746
    cache size      : 8192 KB
    physical id     : 0
    siblings        : 4
    core id         : 0
    cpu cores       : 1
    apicid          : 0
    initial apicid  : 19
    fdiv_bug        : no
    hlt_bug         : no
    f00f_bug        : no
    coma_bug        : no
    fpu             : yes
    fpu_exception   : yes
    cpuid level     : 11
    wp              : yes
    flags           : fpu de tsc msr pae cx8 cmov pat clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht nx constant_tsc nonstop_tsc pni ssse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt hypervisor
    bogomips        : 4533.49
    clflush size    : 64
    cache_alignment : 64
    address sizes   : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
    power management:

• @sleddog said: And as someone wrote in another thread,

don't talk down on other providers because you never know when you will need them.

I was the one who said that. And those are 2 cores that you get access to, not 4. It's 2 cores with HT enabled. $20 is to much for that.

The HDDs are okay, 8 x ~500GB 15K rpm in RAID 10. That's about what you need to get 100MB + I/O speeds.

I am not talking down on anyone, but the attitude they've shown towards @Chief was pretty crappy. The fact that they keep using the same hardware can mean only two things:
    1) SoftLayer is leasing it dirt cheap because it's old.

2) They're on the decline.

Take your pick.

• @KuJoe said: they called me up and told me I had 30 minutes to move our website off of their IPs or they would null all of our client IPs.

Who is they?

• PhoenixVPSPhoenixVPS Member
    edited September 2012

@ErawanArifNugroho said: Who is they?

Two Linux penguins ;)

Thanked by 1eastonch
  • lol

Thanked by 1eastonch
  • miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited September 2012

@ErawanArifNugroho said: Who is they?

My guess is GoRack where SD was previously

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

miTgiB is correct. I tried not to discuss the situation in public but people are still giving us crap for moving out of Jacksonville (tickets, e-mails, PMs, etc...) and I think it's only fair I start telling people why.

Thanked by 1eastonch
  • @vpsnodebox said: model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU L5520 @ 2.27GHz

This is a CPU from '2009. Although it is not the best one out there it is still good for many things.

Thanked by 1jar
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@rds100 said: This is a CPU from '2009. Although it is not the best one out there it is still good for many things.

I agree completly. A node with l-series CPU, not over-loaded with users will good enough. I do not see the point in throwing away hardware that can be used, without causing problems.

Thanked by 1jar
  • serverbearserverbear Member
    edited September 2012

@miTgiB said: This is not even realistic. Linode is using actual old hardware. At least that is what I keep seeing claimed. I know I am adding nodes every month, so I assume they would too? Or are they shrinking?

They use the same CPU's in every node across the world, I just checked 28 benchmarks & they're all:

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU L5520 @ 2.27GHz

Guess they have a consistent build that they use & don't experiment with new stuff.

• @rds100 I know, but Linode claims in their advertising that customers get 4 Xen instances, how ever that is a hyperthreaded CPU, so you basically are getting 2 instances, 4 threads. Does it matter? Hell yeah! I will post a @ServerBear benchmark on that VPS before I cancel it later on tonight. I got it on their giveaway this for testing.

• @vpsnodebox said: I am not talking down on anyone

You referred to Linode's servers as "mediocre" and their customer service as "sub-par". That is certainly "talking down" in my book.

And you avoided my question.

• < offtopic > @Alex_LiquidHost it's 4:22 am, go to sleep :) < / offtopic >

• So what everyone is bashing linode right now is only because they use "old" hardware? But if something is not broken, why fix it? Seriously. I have yet to see some one posting "Linode down and I lost all my data".

Just saying...

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2012

@Alex_LiquidHost I guess it would be relative to their profit margin. At Linode prices, I actually would expect hardware to be decommissioned at a certain point that I would never, under any circumstances, expect from a provider listed on LEB. Requiring hardware 2 years old or newer from an LEB provider would be begging for future bankruptcy from some providers, and that's not a bad thing. The requirement to run a web server, VPN, or most other common vps functions, hasn't increased at anything vaguely close to the speed that CPU efficiency has. That job is reserved for gaming, and perhaps game servers.

Heck, I'm proud of my L5420 from today's launch. It may not be fresh off the shelf but it's a beast for what they're running lately, and that allows me to sell for less and put less people on a node. A better CPU would just mean more people, most clients would never witness the difference. That's not an attempted sale btw, just me talking shop ;)

• @sleddog said: You referred to Linode's servers as "mediocre" and their customer service as "sub-par". That is certainly "talking down" in my book.

And you avoided my question.

I thought that I answered it by posting a benchmark and information. Look, if you like them - use them. End of story. (i still think that they're crap).

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2012

Well they're not crap, but if you get a DDOS then they apparently suddenly become crap. Would I let me grandmother host a page listing her ebay sales with them? Sure, if she wanted. You'd have to be doing something that you were darn sure wouldn't be DDOS attacked, and there are a few things that are safe. Own a flower shop? You don't have enemies. Also still decent for personal development testing, etc. especially with with the easy kernel choices and load balancing if you wanted to do some stress testing in such an environment. But for a business that doesn't operate very low key, not a good choice. Less expensive choices elsewhere of course, but you know how some people love brand names.

I like to see the silver lining sometimes...

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited September 2012

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: So what everyone is bashing linode right now is only because they use "old" hardware?

I think the thread was effectively sidetracked. I was expecting to see older hardware than L5520's, hell I have an L5520 still in service, BuyVM has many still in service, and many others we all know and love use 5420's.

I see @Cheif talking about poor customer service, and based on his account, I agree with him. Now should Linode null route or not is not the question in my mind, it is why they did not join in the discussion with others that were already willing and actively working together to dismantle the botnets. Seeing how Linode is again handling a similar situation with PointHQ can only be it is there policy to do nothing and that has to only come from above.