Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shared/reseller offers no longer allowed without permission
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Shared/reseller offers no longer allowed without permission

From this point on we no longer allow shared/reseller offers without explicit permission from an Administrator or Moderator.

The whole reason we allowed these offers in the first place was to enable out "resident hosts" to share some offers that were sometimes requested anyway. Unfortunately, the reality has been different with people exploiting a system I set up with the best intentions. The idea was to do this for the community rather than for the hosts, but it turned out to be the other way around.

The experiment has "failed" and is now over. We'll only allow shared/reseller offers on a case-by-case basis from now on.

Comments

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2015

Is a non-negligible portion of the community interested in shared hosting? I thought most people here preferred do-it-yourself on a LEB.

• FrecyboyFrecyboy Member
    edited August 2015

Nothing lost. Most offers were by people who aren't able to read the rules anyway.

Thanked by 1bersy
  • gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

Do you have any criteria to allow a host to post Shared Hosting?

• davidgestiondbi said: Do you have any criteria to allow a host to post Shared Hosting?

mpkossen said: From this point on we no longer allow shared/reseller offers without explicit permission from an Administrator or Moderator.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

@AuroraZ he was obviously asking what criteria would be used to determine if permission should be provided.

Thanked by 2gestiondbi ImzTinoz
  • I don't see why anyone wouldn't go with BuyShared anyway tbh

• @hostnoob said:
    I don't see why anyone wouldn't go with BuyShared anyway tbhtbh

A lot of people have had bad experiences with their support. They're also a pretty big ddos target.

Thanked by 1WHT
  • hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited August 2015

@Jonchun said:

Been great for me (LU location). Support was really helpful even though I was being a noob.

If you don't like the support fair enough but for me you just can't beat $5/yr with Litespeed AND dedicated IP (this alone makes it better than most others)

• @hostnoob said:
    If you don't like the support fair enough but for me you just can't beat $5/yr with Litespeed AND dedicated IP (this alone makes it better than most others)

There is no provider that could fit everyone's needs. Even if a provider is very good, as you grow you will learn to manage risk better, start looking for different baskets for your eggs, add DDoS protection, find HA solutions, etc.

• mpkossen said: We'll only allow shared/reseller offers on a case-by-case basis from now on.

This doesn't sound fair and will inevitably lead to accusations of corruption and bias. Either ban all or allow all. And have some clearly written rules and criteria for what is allowed and what is not allowed.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

Yeah, this is not going to end well. Don't have one rule for one and one rule for another set of people.

Thanked by 1IThinkUFailed
  • SpiritSpirit Member
    edited August 2015

rds100 said: This doesn't sound fair and will inevitably lead to accusations of corruption and bias. Either ban all or allow all. And have some clearly written rules and criteria for what is allowed and what is not allowed.
    @hawc said:
    Yeah, this is not going to end well. Don't have one rule for one and one rule for another set of people.

It's nothing new here. How do you think all other non VPS related offers went through in all those years? And did you noticed any problem here?

For me is pretty clear. If you request permission for posting VPN offer, or some other hosting related service, server parts, etc.. there won't be any objection most likely - because you're active participating member. However if someone come here just to push some sales I will kindly explain him what's expected in order to be able to post non VPS offer and this is it.
    It's some extra work mostly for us (which isn't really ideal and we may continue to discuss about this internally), but otherwise not much of a change for daily LET routine. I believe that moderators/admins know this community well enough to know who's who.

Thanked by 2mpkossen cassa
  • @rds100 said:
    This doesn't sound fair and will inevitably lead to accusations of corruption and bias. Either ban all or allow all. And have some clearly written rules and criteria for what is allowed and what is not allowed.

Would you say the same about VPN offers, certain auctions, job offers, etc.? Because we allow some of those, but definitely not all of them.

• WHTWHT Member

If there are allowed to sell domains, why not also hosting?
    There are also people who posts only vps offers and do not help the community.

For me was a great place to find good hosting offers. I dont really trust wht.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited August 2015

mpkossen said: Would you say the same about VPN offers, certain auctions, job offers, etc.? Because we allow some of those, but definitely not all of them.

Only potentially problematic thing I see here is standalone forum "Shared/reseller offers" section which will make wrong impression among some people (host representatives) too lazy to read before post.
    Maybe we should reconsider some different implementation as example let people with permission to post offers into standard "Offers" section, keep it there for members to comment it and then after some time manually moved by us into still public, but locked "Shared/reseller offers" section or something like that.
    (it's not suggestion, just example - someone may have better idea)

• @Spirit said:

Who's in charge of allowing somebody? I was going to post my shared/reseller ad along with my VPS ad later tonight.

• @OnraHost said:
    Who's in charge of allowing somebody? I was going to post my shared/reseller ad along with my VPS ad later tonight.

Care to read?

• @alexvolk said:

Definitely read it...have you? It clearly states "Administrator or Moderator.". Well I would like to know who or which admin/mod is going to be making the decision. No point in messaging Spirit, if he's just going to forward it to Anthony.

P.S. Stop trying to be "cool" over the internet. You don't get kudo points for acting like a **** with your sarcastic remarks. It was a legitimate question to a statement that doesn't necessarily have a clear answer.

• this is good because this site is for vps and not shared host

if people want shared host then they should go to wht

• @OnraHost said:
    P.S. Stop trying to be "cool" over the internet. You don't get kudo points for acting like a **** with your sarcastic remarks. It was a legitimate question to a statement that doesn't necessarily have a clear answer.

Seriously?

You might be surprised that I don't get any points and I've just wrote my opinion.

Anyways, reread the first post where you'll see its says clearly ADMINS OR MODERATORS. It didn't say any specific person.

And then this type of providers asks why we don't have new signup's.

STOP BEING KID YOU REPRESENT COMPANY HERE!

Haha!

• OnraHostOnraHost Member
    edited August 2015

@alexvolk said:

You must of missed the first paragraph of my response... It asking for clarification of that exact statement. Are you ok or is their something wrong with you?

"STOP BEING KID YOU REPRESENT COMPANY HERE!" Huh?? I'm not going to waste my time with you.

EDIT: Before you post back with a more idiotic statement.. Lets review two points here:

1. There is nothing wrong asking for a more detailed answer to a generic statement made.

2. "No point in messaging Spirit, if he's just going to forward it to Anthony."... Why would I waste one mod/admins time and my own, when it can go to the right person (if need be) the first time.

Stop nit-picking and go back to your daily life. /END

• @OnraHost said:
    alexvolk said:

You must of missed the first paragraph of my response... It asking for clarification of that exact statement. Are you ok or is their something wrong with you?

"STOP BEING KID YOU REPRESENT COMPANY HERE!" Huh?? I'm not going to waste my time with you.

Don't waste your time asking permission from any 2 moderators or 2 admins. I could understand if only there were thousands people from moderation team.

• @alexvolk said:
    Don't waste your time asking permission from any 2 moderators or 2 admins. I could understand if only there were thousands people from moderation team.

He can PM the admins asking for permission to post his shared offer and I'm sure they'll respond in a timely manner, quit being butthurt.

• Currently, the LET staff, which does most day-to-day tasks, is made up of the following people:

@mpkossen: Administrator
    @Spirit: Administrator
    @jcaleb: Moderator
    @mikho: Moderator
    @AnthonySmith: Moderator

For daily tasks is almost always properly to contact some moderator first and if there's no answer in a timely manner or you believe that matter isn't dealed properly there are also admins available to you. Basically anyone will answer you.
    Please do not contact more people at once.

• @mpkossen said:
    We'll only allow shared/reseller offers on a case-by-case basis from now on.

what's the procedure? post and wait for approval. or PM someone and ask? I can't tell if that section is locked or not.

• Why not make it so that when people post in the shared/reseller forum, the posts have to get reviewed by a mod before they show up?

and then make it so they get 1 warning, then another is a perm ban

• @hostnoob said:
    Why not make it so that when people post in the shared/reseller forum, the posts have to get reviewed by a mod before they show up?

or just let people with 1000+ posts have access ;)

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@hostnoob said:
    Why not make it so that when people post in the shared/reseller forum, the posts have to get reviewed by a mod before they show up?

and then make it so they get 1 warning, then another is a perm ban

Because Vanilla can't do it like that. Would be cool if it could.....
    The only way it could be done in Vanilla is to post a new thread in a category where users can post but not read. Making it almost impossible to edit for the poster. Then a mod/admin would move it to another category where users can post and read.

If I remember correct however there is no setting on a category to only be able to post replies. Either you can post in that caregory or you cant.

• @Bruce said:

new hosts spamming the forum with just 5 stupid posts so they can post an offer is bad enough, imagine 1,000 posts worth of spam!

LET should just make hosts pay $10,000/yr for a "corporate member" title so we know which ones are trustworthy ;)

P.S. I'm joking before CC consider it!

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@hostnoob said:
    LET should just make hosts pay $10,000/yr for a "corporate member" title so we know which ones are trustworthy ;)

I'll give you my paypal ID. ;)

This discussion has been closed.