Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

xen or kvm - providers point of view? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

xen or kvm - providers point of view?

2»

Comments

• @vpsnodebox said: You can allocate up to 10 threads per physical core.

This was never a limitation of KVM, it was simply a warning in the RHEL 5 documentation and has been removed from the same section of EL 6 docs.

@vpsnodebox said: I haven't tried this yet, but bcache might work to provide SSD caching for KVM.

flashcache works just fine.

• PhoenixVPSPhoenixVPS Member
    edited September 2012

@miTgiB said: This was never a limitation of KVM, it was simply a warning in the RHEL 5 documentation and has been removed from the same section of EL 6 docs.

Didn't know that. Thank you for this information.

@miTgiB said: flashcache works just fine.

Thank you very much for letting me know, I might set up a KVM server next week and give it a try. The memory wasted by Xen might not seem like much, but over two dozen servers it adds up, sadly.

• @vpsnodebox said: I might set up a KVM server next week and give it a try. The memory wasted by Xen might not seem like much, but over two dozen servers it adds up, sadly.

AFAIK the overhead is the same for Xen and KVM, just KVM allows over subscribing ram much easier than Xen, and ksmd frees more ram as well in KVM, but at a ~5% CPU penalty.

• This is thread has a lot of useful info that, not will only help me but a lot of other people.
    Thanks a lot guys!

• @Taz_NinjaHawk You're more than welcome. Also @miTgiB had a good tip about using flashcache. If you can get that into your servers it would be awesome.

While I don't recommend by any means ever overselling KVM because I/O limitations will show up really fast, you can always set up an SSD drive for SWAP and allocate all the available RAM to customers. I believe it's okay. Of course @miTgiB has way more experience with KVM than me, so I hope that he can shed some light on what I've said here.