Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best/Cheapest email host ? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best/Cheapest email host ?

Comments

• we offer zimbra based email service for individuals and business, check it up
    at www.centerrack.com

• Use Yandex, because better KGB backbone than NSA :D

I think the offer from Inbox.LV might be interesting as well. Plus, not on US soil.

• @kerouac
    Although I don't endorse the NSA spying on people, I don't think its necessary for me to go offshore. Although I do believe strongly that if what has been said about the NSA is completely true then it's wrong.

Thanked by 1NeoXiD
  • In my opinion sometimes we daily waste money for stupid stuff and , at the same time, we try to save 10$ per year for critical stuff that serve communication like the email hosting service. After a really bad experience with a couple of my customer lets me give a couple of tips : first, split the web hosting service from the email hosting system and next let's spend a dozen of dollars to sleep quiet.
    There are several solutions almost free for VPS for instance there are https://www.rootnerds.com/ or http://www.comfortvps.com while for email hosting service there are http://servermx.com/ (they start from 0.5 $ month and are caldav certified ) or ,https://runbox.com/ ..anyway you can find other provider not free, but almost free.

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited August 2015

@ben78 said:
    Jar: where is the data hosted?

I think it's NYC, but like most sites hosted in the US it takes advantage of the premium NSA CDN so you get good latency all over US

(Joking of course, but I think it is NYC)

Thanked by 1ben78
  • @serverMx Just purchased two mail boxes but i missed that. :(

• I don't trust US based/hosted providers but MXRoute or BuyVMs BuyShared are solid choices.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @William said:
    I don't trust US based/hosted providers but MXRoute or BuyVMs BuyShared are solid choices.

Oh boy.

• Best/Cheapest email host ?

Your own. The freedom and independence is very liberating.

• nexusrainnexusrain Member
    edited August 2015

As @4n0nx said - why don't you host it yourself? I've got the 7$/y special from vpsdime as my mail server, its uptime is just great and specs are enough.

Thanks for my 70th thanking, @4n0nx :)

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • I'm skeptical about the reliability of the low cost providers, I recall seeing a post a few months back about MXRoute not having a backup mx server and the same goes with BuyShared (I think Francisco even mentioned that it's not even backed up so in case of hardware failure we need to restore from our backups).

I ran for a few years my own mail server but I won't have the time to manage it (it does take a lot of time if you care about security). Since Google was not an option (the main reason why I ran my own server is to run as far as possible from them), Zoho is reasonably a low cost home-made solution (spamassassin and z-push among the features, come on - and their support forums are a joke) I gave it a try (they have a 30 day trial) to Office 365. I'm reasonably anti-microsoft as a general rule but Office 365 is amazingly good. They state clearly they will not use your data for advertising and you can add up to 900 domains or so.
    For $5/month/user is by far the cheapest option (cheaper than the free google options, yes), they offer a 99.9something SLA and their support is enterprise grade (well, sort of but depends on your issue).

I know this is lowendtalk and people are looking mostly for cheap options but personally I wouldn't trust my email with a low-cost provider.
    Yes, Microsoft will hadover my data to any Govt that asks for it but if you're targeted by a govt, any provider will bend, no matter what they say.
    I'm more worried about advertisers than govts.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2015

tcpdump said: MXRoute not having a backup mx server

This is up and running now :)

Truth is, I've had downtime with Gmail. No matter how much infrastructure you have, things can go wrong. That's why I made MXroute, because the principles on LowEndBox have taught us over the years that the honest reality is that the more massive the infrastructure, the more variables. The more massive the company, the less personal support will often be. With LEB we learned that less can be just as powerful, we can save a ton of money, and at the end of the year the graphs really don't look different enough to justify spending the money we saved.

LEB taught us a lot about the reality of the hosting industry, the actual probabilities of problems and the potential to address common ones without high cost. MXroute was born from what we've learned here.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • To date, @Jar's MXRoute has been going strong for me. I've been a little late on the migrating, but that's mostly because of my own laziness. It's definitely the best "cheap" service out there.

Thanked by 1jar
  • simonindiasimonindia Member
    edited August 2015

@tcpdump said:
    I'm skeptical about the reliability of the low cost providers, I recall seeing a post a few months back about MXRoute not having a backup mx server and the same goes with BuyShared (I think Francisco even mentioned that it's not even backed up so in case of hardware failure we need to restore from our backups).

Email or Webserver or any data always have backup first rule of electronic data (my rule)

When u talk about reliability of low cost providers that makes u Mo**on in LET
    And type of IT infra will have downtime If you need a Enterprise grade Email solution
    then i think you should rise your budget high and get service from IT giants like Gmail,yahoo,Outlook

Next time read the thread topic then comment

I ran for a few years my own mail server but I won't have the time to manage it (it does take a lot of time if you care about security). Since Google was not an option (the main reason why I ran my own server is to run as far as possible from them), Zoho is reasonably a low cost home-made solution (spamassassin and z-push among the features, come on - and their support forums are a joke) I gave it a try (they have a 30 day trial) to Office 365. I'm reasonably anti-microsoft as a general rule but Office 365 is amazingly good. They state clearly they will not use your data for advertising and you can add up to 900 domains or so.

Man Your are in wrong place comparing Office 365 with Google and zoho &Mxroute

For $5/month/user is by far the cheapest option (cheaper than the free google options, yes), they offer a 99.9something SLA and their support is enterprise grade (well, sort of but depends on your issue).

I know this is lowendtalk and people are looking mostly for cheap options but personally I wouldn't trust my email with a low-cost provider.

Again man Your are in wrong place

Yes, Microsoft will hadover my data to any Govt that asks for it but if you're targeted by a govt, any provider will bend, no matter what they say.
    I'm more worried about advertisers than govts.

I have a Mxroute account you will amazed by its spam control it works for me

Even in my corporate gmail account i have spam that passes googles spam filter and lands on my inbox

Spam control is very sensitive and hard to achieve

simonindia said: Spam control is very sensitive and hard to achieve

You're telling me. I have nightmares of spam filled inboxes. I wake up in a sweat, and force update the clamav spam sigs ;)

• @Jar said:
    You're telling me. I have nightmares of spam filled inboxes. I wake up in a sweat, and force update the clamav spam sigs ;)

I Know @jar it your expertise and doing your best

Great service @jar Keep it up

Thanked by 1jar
  • +1 for MXroute, solid service. Great value for the price.

Thanked by 1jar
  • Another vote for MXRoute, dealing with mail is such a pain and this is definitely worth the money.

Thanked by 1jar
  • Cheaper comes with cheaper quality.

• ehabehab Member

ask our email guru jar from MXRoute he will fix you nicely.
    @jar everyone loves you :D

Thanked by 2jar paily
  • SadySady Member

You can't go wrong with mxroute :)

@ehab said:
    ask our email guru jar from MXRoute he will fix you nicely.
    jar everyone loves you :D

+

@Sady said:
    You can't go wrong with mxroute :)

<3

• stabstab Member

The free tier at Zoho is good for small/personal use. I had a Google apps account but I don't like using Google's mail services for personal reasons.

Can anyone recommend a KVM VPS provider for setting up a mail server? Or maybe things like this just aren't worth the hassle of managing.

• stab said: Can anyone recommend a KVM VPS provider for setting up a mail server? Or maybe things like this just aren't worth the hassle of managing.

http://tech.tiq.cc/2014/02/how-to-set-up-an-email-server-with-postfix-and-dovecot-without-mysql-on-debian-7/

Just copy/paste and it works but there is a lot of room for improvement configuration wise. For your personal email it should be enough. Pretty much any VPS that exists has enough resources for it, but I would use a dedicated server for privacy reasons. (the cheapest I can think of being kimsufi and online.net (or oneprovider paris location reseller of online.net, more expensive but no setup fee)

Thanked by 2stab aglodek
  • 4n0nx said: Pretty much any VPS that exists has enough resources for it, but I would use a dedicated server for privacy reasons.

I'd prefer a VM with central storage, some HA, and some additional, detached, growable SAN storage for the mail itself. And located in Canada :)

Both Luna Node and Servarica almost do what I want. Almost.... still experimenting.

• budi1413 said:
    serverMx Just purchased two mail boxes but i missed that. :(

@budi1413 If you like we could propose a free upgrade to 2GB (the offer name that you'll see will remain the same but we'll change your storage setup in our system) email or ,alternatively, we could give you 1 extra email account for free.
    Please let me know which one do you prefer via email support : [email protected]

Mel

• Try Zoho