Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question for providers regarding SLA claims
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Question for providers regarding SLA claims

NickMNickM Member
edited September 2012 in General

I've seen hosts that offer partial refunds for not meeting their SLA, but then they mention "Pingdom's reports are not valid for SLA claims". Why? What exactly is it about Pingdom that providers don't like when it come to SLA claims? What would Pingdom or another monitoring service have to do to make their monitoring sufficient for SLA claims?

Comments

• The problem with Pingdom is they provide a lot of false positives and cannot account for planned/scheduled maintenance.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I don't think there is anything they could do. A provider should know about an outage without a client submitted monitoring report. If you see an outage and one exists, I should already know about it.

• I've found Pingdom to be horribly inaccurate in a lost of cases, maybe the host acknowledges this and accepts some other more reliable monitor service.

• @jshinkle said: The problem with Pingdom is they provide a lot of false positives and cannot account for planned/scheduled maintenance.

Define "false positive" though. What if the provider franned the routing and cuts it off from part of the internet? The provider could be checking from home, but not notice anything is wrong, while someone in say, Australia, could be completely cut off. Obviously if the outage corresponds to a noted, previously announced planned downtime, it wouldn't count.

@jarland said: I don't think there is anything they could do. A provider should know about an outage without a client submitted monitoring report. If you see an outage and one exists, I should already know about it.

"Should" is the key word there...

@Nick said: I've found Pingdom to be horribly inaccurate in a lost of cases, maybe the host acknowledges this and accepts some other more reliable monitor service.

Well, that's kind of what I'm getting at here... I want to know what I can do as a (future) hosted monitoring provider to ensure that my customers can use my service when/if they need to claim an SLA credit.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

We had a client provide Pingdom results showing his VPS was offline yet at the same time the client and I were logged into the VPS via SSH.

• cosmicgatecosmicgate Member
    edited September 2012

I still rely on pingdom and when pingdom reports it as being down, it is really down. There was one time my vps was down so I keep on trying to vnc into it and got connected eventually.The vps host eventually got connected to it as well. My host has been using that excuse " here, this is a screenshot of you logging in the vps crap and it is not down. Bullshit.

I've been trying to understand all these pingdom so called "false" reports, 100% of it is real from what I've found out , at least it was for my case. I got up 4 am in the morning just to check it. I even got up on 2 am in the morning sometimes to confirm it.

Sure when I ask " do you have some sort of network report of yourself to compare against my pingdom report?"the answe is " we do not take pingdom reports seriously"

This is disgusting. The thing is, the downtime seems to be 5-10m interval. This is what most DDos tools do, ddos 5-10 mins then lay "dormant" and strike again. Because it's only 5-10 mins, Aliya of hosts don't take it seriously.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2012

We use 3 different monitors for network connectivity. I have never used Pingdom myself but every Pingdom report provided to us has never matched up with any of the 3 monitors we use except for the times we posted an announcement of the downtime (in which case a monitor report is not required to claim and SLA).

I have nothing against Pingdom personally, but when I have clients complaining about downtime when there is none I get kind of angry at the situation.

For one client, I was paying for a 1 minute monitor at BinaryCanary just to monitor his VPS and prove his Pingdom wrong (his Pingdom report showed us with 60% uptime for one month which is 288 hours (12 days) of downtime, we wouldn't be in business if we had more than a week of downtime).