Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Layer.ae Free IPv6 VPS for developers :-)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Layer.ae Free IPv6 VPS for developers :-)

rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

Many of you are familiar with MyRSK, and the great service that we provide since 2009. Many providers come and go, but we are here to stay :-)

Layer is devoting its resources and employees to help many developers world wide, who have the capability of building great applications, websites, and scripts.

Therefore, we have built a platform named "Layer Dev", with a single purpose of helping out developers by providing them free virtual servers where they can work on their projects and scripts for absolutely no charge.

These VPSs come with 2x CPU cores, 256MB of ram, 10GB of RAID HDD, 500GB of Bandwidth on gigabit speeds, and a /64 of IPv6. If the developers think it is not enough, they can donate an amount of their choice (even if it is $1) to double their resources for the lifetime of their account.

The free tier plans come with some limitations to avoid abuse, such as no mailing, tor, torrenting, etc.

Visit our site to subscribe for an early access to the BETA : http://dev.layer.ae

As always, we welcome new ideas to better deploy the Dev platform :-)

Comments

• Will chuck ya a dollar

• gianggiang Veteran

Subscribed, hope my ISP would deploy IPv6 next year ;)

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

ugh mailchimp doesn't like https finder so no clue if I signed up or not

• Signed up can't wait :)

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

This stuff is really cool!

• I'll drop a dollar too :)

• NomadNomad Member

What's the virtualization platform, may I ask?

• I'm not sure about the virtualization, but it's probably OpenVZ.

• utamautama Member

i will donate :)

• cassacassa Member

Signed up!

• Can we please use a word other than "donate" when referring to a for-profit business? Pretty please?

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@4n0nx said:
    ugh mailchimp doesn't like https finder so no clue if I signed up or not

Pm me the email. I will check it out for you :)

@Nomad said:
    What's the virtualization platform, may I ask?

Currently openvz, with an option in the future to deploy kvm :)

@Rallias said:
    Can we please use a word other than "donate" when referring to a for-profit business? Pretty please?

The dev part of Layer is not for profit. The donations will help add more nodes, additional features, etc.

• Registered and can't wait more =)

• rsk said: The dev part of Layer is not for profit. The donations will help add more nodes, additional features, etc.

So the dev part is completely separated, with a 501(c) or similar foreign designation?

@Rallias said:
    So the dev part is completely separated, with a 501(c) or similar foreign designation?

There is no "foreign designation". It is completely separated from our paying platform. Even if the developer wants to move to our paying platform then the whole vps is migrated out of Layer Dev and all things will be handled by Layer. Not dev.

• rsk said: There is no "foreign designation". It is completely separated from our paying platform. Even if the developer wants to move to our paying platform then the whole vps is migrated out of Layer Dev and all things will be handled by Layer. Not dev.

So, no.

Thanked by 1sekjun9878
  • Signed up, when should I expect the service to go "Public"?

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

rsk said: Pm me the email. I will check it out for you :)

thx I did it in chrome

• NomadNomad Member

@rsk said:
    Currently openvz, with an option in the future to deploy kvm :)

KVM or XEN or any virtualization would be good indeed.
    Well, we're all looking forward to get in ^^

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

Nomad said: we're all looking forward to get in

That's what they said ö_ö

• NomadNomad Member

@4n0nx said:
    That's what they said ö_ö

Poor you :P

Thanked by 14n0nx

TheOnlyDK said: Signed up, when should I expect the service to go "Public"?

Just to update you guys, it is most likely that you get your welcome emails by today. Once you receive the email, you can use the order link to get your free VPS.

Unfortunately, it is a first come first serve approach, that is due to the sheer amount of signups we received. Rest assured, most of you will get your free VPSs though, if not in the first batch, definitely in the coming ones.

Thanks!

Thanked by 1TheOnlyDK
  • Did anyone get his VPS yesterday? I didn't.
    I'd expect to see at least a few 'thank you'/feedback posts if VPSs had really been delivered (as announceded by OP)... It's a bit odd to see zero replies by now .

• gianggiang Veteran

@farsighter said:
    Did anyone get his VPS yesterday? I didn't.
    I'd expect to see at least a few 'thank you'/feedback posts if VPSs had really been delivered (as announceded by OP)... It's a bit odd to see zero replies by now .

Same here, I got no email.

• @Rallias From dōnāre to give.

• Do these have IPv4 ports like LES or are they purely IPv6?

• Nope.

• still waiting