Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Russian Data Sovereignty Law - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Russian Data Sovereignty Law

2»

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2015

Ole_Juul said: How do you see this effecting the server business?

this kind of isolationist, bunker under attack from all directions, including inside 5th column of gays and nazis mentality will eventually lead to isolation and cold war, if not thermonuclear directly (because Russia cannot keep up with the conventional weapons, except against small and deeply corrupt countries). The obvious next step is blocking "foreign propaganda" sites (such as facebook ) under various pretexts, not to mention news sites, as well as datacenters which can be used for streaming, CDNs and VPNs.
    The servers will be usable only by russians and perhaps other subjects of the empire, some kind of isolated "internet" as china aims to achieve as well as others, because the permits will not be issued easily and the simple fact you ask for one will raise suspicion.

• @Maounique said:
    Hum, does your supervisor know the western propaganda you are spewing?
    Russia always protected the minorities, even now, a lot of volunteers are spilling their blood in support of the russian minority in the eastern ukraine. More are preparing to support those that will rise in Eesti or Lietuva. A russian army protects those in transnistria too, how can you believe that western shit? You must be paid, a traitor, because nobody in their right mind can believe it.

Hide your butthurt a bit :D

• @Maounique said:

Alright, BBC is the source. No more questions.
    But, I watch CBC every day. I always thought IT-oriented people could filter information by default).

• @Maounique not always paid. Most of them from both sides have a lot of trolls, who do not care what will be happened with them:) They think, this is funny to troll about this tragedy :) Interesting, are will they be funny & happy, when they recieve weapon and will be trowed to the war, where at the any monent they can die.

• @kendid said:
    Those posting pro russian comments

Just saying that "Data Sovereignty Law" is a global reality ...

ps. Hello from a former Siberian). You got it, right? No more propaganda needed. Crimea is Ours.

• Both BBC and CBC follow Washington's lead although they used to be more independent and they're still among the best. However, they've all gone bad in recent years. There are always bad news stories, but the choice of what is reported and what is not, is crucial. (Disclaimer, I worked for CBC Television for many years. )

In any case, regarding Russian internet and communications, I think it is better to follow Russian writers. Anton Nossik might be a good choice for a negative response to this law.

• @mikei said:
    ps. Hello from a former Siberian). You got it, right? No more propaganda needed. Crimea is Ours.

Hello from a former Crimean, hope you werent forced out of your home at gunpoint.

Unfortunately you are correct in saying Crimea is Russia's at this point... Illegally, yes... And Putin won't give it up without a fight... I don't think it will be carpet bombing this time from Russia.... It will however be difficult for Ukraine to force the illegal occupants off its sovereign territory.

kendid said: I don't think it will be carpet bombing this time from Russia....

No need, they concentrate on nuclear weapons, because cant keep both a regular army in necessary numbers to occupy and control a country like Ukraine for any serious length of time, but can threaten to use nuclear weapons if people try to defend themselves. They threaten romania and poland with nuclear strikes because they try to install DEFENSES against those.

Ole_Juul said: Both BBC and CBC follow Washington's lead although they used to be more independent and they're still among the best. However, they've all gone bad in recent years. There are always bad news stories, but the choice of what is reported and what is not, is crucial. (Disclaimer, I worked for CBC Television for many years. )

In any case, regarding Russian internet and communications, I think it is better to follow Russian writers. Anton Nossik might be a good choice for a negative response to this law.

You are Russian, right? It would be inexcusable for someone with half a brain to believe that otherwise.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2015

kendid said: I have friends in Yalta from when we lived in Crimea, who hold government worker positions. Russia is now telling them if they want to keep employed they must exchange jobs with workers in Siberia! Most of them don't want to work in Siberia so are quitting...

Ahahahahaha. What. Mwahahaha.

Deranged b/s like this, is something you find in Ukrainian batshit crazy media, are you sure you don't post from a Kiev IP address? :D

kendid said: pointed an automatic weapon at my daughter who was 12 years at the time...

Yep and certainly no propaganda is complete without a "THINK OF THE CHILDREN" piece.

Thanked by 1alexvolk

are you sure you are not posting from a russian address?

• @rm_ said:
    Deranged b/s like this, is something you find in Ukrainian batshit crazy media, are you sure you don't post from a Kiev IP address? :D

To be honest, i havent seen thatvstuff in the news at all... Russian, ukrainian or english... 1st hand information... I lived in Crimea, and a city called Kramatorsk for a time (not far from Donetska)... Never in kyiv...

• @Ole_Juul said:
    Both BBC and CBC follow Washington's lead although they used to be more independent and they're still among the best. However, they've all gone bad in recent years. There are always bad news stories, but the choice of what is reported and what is not, is crucial. (Disclaimer, I worked for CBC Television for many years. )

BTW, agree, these two sometimes still try to tell the truth. There's even campaign "Free the CBC" going on.

• Ole_JuulOle_Juul Member
    edited August 2015

Maounique said: You are Russian, right? It would be inexcusable for someone with half a brain to believe that otherwise.

"That" doesn't really tell me much. To what belief are you referring?

• @kendid said:
    Hello from a former Crimean, hope you werent forced out of your home at gunpoint.

Were you a government worker? I know we are both virtuals.

edited August 2015

Maounique said: are you sure you are not posting from a russian address?

Technically yes, as I'm using a proxy on a VPS in France. :)
    But I certainly never tried to conceal the fact that I'm from Russia.

Thanked by 1alexvolk
  • @Maounique said:
    You are Russian, right? It would be inexcusable for someone with half a brain to believe that otherwise.

Very nice belief).

edited August 2015

@mikei said:

@Ole_Juul said:

So, are you russians or not?

"that" is Russian propaganda in general. You do not seem to believe Russia is heading towards isolationism and autarchy, although it cannot afford it, even IF China would have been a real friend, in spite of the size of the empire and population (albeit decreasing in spite of rusification of minorities).
    A return to the soviet era when listening to foreign radio was a serious issue is half done, whether you like it or not.

• kendidkendid Veteran
    edited August 2015

@mikei said: Were you a government worker?

Nope, i work for a private IT company...

• mikeimikei Member
    edited August 2015

@kendid said:
    Nope, i work for a private IT company...

So you are fine. Not even a job loss. Lots of people in Ukraine were at gunpoint, thousands were killed, nobody was killed in Crimea. That's the main point of "Crimea is Ours".

• There was no issue in Crimea until the day Russia took over the autonmous government of Crimea parliament building then airports by force...

• Maounique said: So, are you russians or not?

When I refer to Canada as being "here" in thread after thread, what do you think? I am familiar with Danish culture and can read/write/speak Danish. Other than that, I'm Canadian and have been for over half a century. I am indeed flattered that you would think that I was Russian, but my only claim to knowing anything about Russia is that I've been on the internet since it began and that I also spend a lot of time learning about what goes on around the world. I consider that my responsibility as a participant in the www.

"that" is Russian propaganda in general.

Thanks for clarifying. :) Being able to see how Washington is acting in and on the world is not a matter of "Russian propaganda" to my way of thinking. I actually don't know what it's like to live in any of the areas that might be considered Russia.

You do not seem to believe Russia is heading towards isolationism and autarchy, although it cannot afford it, even IF China would have been a real friend, in spite of the size of the empire and population (albeit decreasing in spite of rusification of minorities).

Huh? I have only a minuscule idea of where Russia is headed, or indeed what is good for it and its people. The whole world is fast heading into a phase with heavy government control of the population. Of course the run-of-the-mill television watching statist isn't seeing this in countries where they can still drive to work and feed their kids.

A return to the soviet era when listening to foreign radio was a serious issue is half done, whether you like it or not.

That is the de facto life in America. I say that because I live here and have watched carefully what is happening. And no, I don't mean watched it on TV. :)

I note that Kerry (US Secretary of State) has recently asked for almost a billion dollars to keep up and bolster the US anti Russian propaganda. Yes, he uses the word propaganda, and he is so paranoid that he considers RT.com to be having a devastating effect on American minds. That's paranoid, because very few people even have the mental skill to change the channel from sports and entertainment, let alone find Russian news of any kind.

If I have been sounding reluctant to take your bait (up until now) and get into a discussion about Russian politics, it is because that is not what this thread is about. Why, just because I mention a Russian law do we have to talk about Putin and Crimea and polls and Soviet Era etc.? If I had made a topic about some new USA internet related law, would you have started to talk about Guantanamo Bay, ethnic cleansing in Georgia, and voting irregularities in Florida? Yes, I've read how Putin has been internet friendly for many years, and now made what seems like a sudden draconian change. Canada is going through the same changes with our ultra conservative creationist Prime Minister. It's a world movement. It's politics and sociology well worth discussing.

You, @Maounique, and I probably share a lot of ideas about politics relevant to Russia, and I could probably learn a lot from you as well. What we don't share, is an ability to stick to the subject. I would really like to hear how you, or somebody you know, has made changes to how they configure their servers.

Thanked by 2alexvolk mikei
    edited August 2015

Ole_Juul said: I would really like to hear how you, or somebody you know, has made changes to how they configure their servers.

we are not in Russia, nor intend to go there, maybe Russia will come here, only thing important is that you will need a presence in russia if you sell to russians, since most of the internet will be blocked.
    That is a thing for the next year or maybe 18 months.

kendid said: by force...

By what force? There was no resistance to be seen, no casualities whatsoever, on the contrary the local people clearly did not want the fascist putsch they saw in Kiev to repeat in Crimea, and decided to go with Russia long before the referendum has even began.

Nobody was harmed even when the remaining few UA military bases with military personnel still inside were being taken. If this is how "by force" goes, then you clearly don't know what that term means.

Also after cases like these http://www.rt.com/news/310737-crimea-peaceful-french-mp/ the UA propaganda of "military occupation" of "oppressed Crimeans" already starts crumbling apart, and this will happen only more and more, as the rest of the world opens their eyes and chooses to see and think by themselves, not blindly believing everything Poroshenko says.

• @mikei said:
    @Maounique said:

Where do you get all that .... stuff? Source please?

http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/pomo/

Thanked by 2deadbeef mikei
  • @Maounique said:
    this kind of isolationist, bunker under attack from all directions, including inside 5th column of gays and nazis mentality will eventually lead to isolation and cold war, if not thermonuclear directly (because Russia cannot keep up with the conventional weapons, except against small and deeply corrupt countries). The obvious next step is blocking "foreign propaganda" sites (such as facebook ) under various pretexts, not to mention news sites, as well as datacenters which can be used for streaming, CDNs and VPNs.

The servers will be usable only by russians and perhaps other subjects of the empire, some kind of isolated "internet" as china aims to achieve as well as others, because the permits will not be issued easily and the simple fact you ask for one will raise suspicion.

Should they use KVM or Xen?

• I read that Google is putting a lot of servers in Russia. Ebay too is unphased by either this new law, or the US imposed sanctions. They intend to aggressively pursue the Russian market where they're already doing well. Apparently too, they were the first to put servers there in response to the new law. I wonder how much this means for the server business there.

I do expect those big companies to simply go for whatever business they can get anywhere. They are also well scrutinized by government. However, is it possible that the small players will be flying under the radar? I mean someone selling small VPS may not feel any impact. No?

edited August 2015

Ole_Juul said: I do expect those big companies to simply go for whatever business they can get anywhere.

That is true, they tried to reason with the chinese, but giving in to censorship and becoming accomplices to dissidents imprisonment and torture meant their image in countries where that is not official policy suffered too much and they had to withdraw.
    I am not sure that giving away users which are gay or try to circumvent censorship or speak free will be more palatable in Russia than in China, it is possible, but I doubt that.
    In the end, it depends on how much they can gain by a presence in Russia compared with what they will lose in other markets. Most "libruls" are already steering away of big surveillance companies, so, it might become ok to rejoin China and continue to stay in Russia and cooperate in the crackdown because will make more money than they will lose.

I agree that the answer to propaganda is not counter-propaganda, I listened to the excesses of VoA and Radio Free Europe which rarely had connections with quality journalism, but compared with the official propaganda seemed almost free. Yes, it was wrong, it is wrong, the answer to propaganda is education and history, show people what propaganda and indoctrination did in the past, hate, wars, destruction, ruin, ultimately affecting the most the people which used it the most. Because, if it is that efficient, even the propagandists start to believe their lies, and, as it is said, when gods wish to lead someone to ruin, first take their reason.