Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Russian Data Sovereignty Law
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Russian Data Sovereignty Law

Ole_JuulOle_Juul Member
edited July 2015 in General

Any Russian providers expecting changes in their business practice in the coming month? I just read that the OPD (On Personal Data) law goes live September one. That means that personal data on Russians will have to be stored in Russia. I'm not clear on how they'll be able to tell what is "personal" data, or even who's a Russian. Sellers of VPS services to Russians will have to keep the customer contact data over there. I'm guessing it's mostly going to effect Facebook, Google, Microsoft, and such, though I suppose people selling airline tickets will have to deal with this too. But since I'm not in the business, nor living over there, I'd like to hear what others think. Here's one of many articles about it:
Firms Rethink Russian Data Center Strategy, as Data Sovereignty Law Nears Activation

Comments

• tgk76tgk76 Member

this is complex question, trust me. its not enough just store data in Russia. You have to implement certified deployment here which will use certified equipment and software, you have to create Russian legal entity and register as PD operator. All communication should be in Russian, most of certified IDS/DP/.. hardware has Russian interfaces. We just created landing page for it - http://www.hostkey.com/solutions/russia/#
    Punishment - if someone will report you for non-compliance, local authority could ban your site on every Russian internet upstream in 3 days, procedure are well implemented now.
    if you have any specific question, please ask me.

Thanked by 3Ole_Juul geekalot Rob92
  • GM2015GM2015 Member

That could signal the end of most of Russian referrer spam.

tgk76 said: Punishment - if someone will report you for non-compliance, local authority could ban your site on every Russian internet upstream in 3 days, procedure are well implemented now.

• China has banned Facebook, Google and they are thriving. If need be, I think they will survive being banned in Russia, too. Ditto most other companies. Not much else the Russian authorities can do to enforce this.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

it's impossible to rent a server in every country so... not sure what Russia expects

Thanked by 1BeardyUnixGuy
  • 4n0nx said: it's impossible to rent a server in every country so... not sure what Russia expects

That's something I was wondering too. My guess is that if a company is not also operating in Russia, it won't effect them. It's companies like Google who will have to cope - and I'm sure they will. The article I quoted says:

To comply with the law, many have already moved servers inside the country’s borders. eBay, Google, and others are in the process or have already moved user data in-country.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • tgk76tgk76 Member

all those companies has big offices here in Moscow, 145M people in Russia are big stake

• fitvpnfitvpn Member
    edited July 2015

Ole_Juul said: That means that personal data on Russians will have to be stored in Russia.

These laws already exist, nothing new, for security purposes Russian companies must store personal data only inside Russia, web portals, social networks etc already moved to Russian DC

• @Ole_Juul I'm sorry, why nobody says that some countries have already same law in place?

When Russia applies new law everybody says "Hey, see what they do here! We did it a long time ago but nobody noticed".

• alexvolk said: @Ole_Juul I'm sorry, why nobody says that some countries have already same law in place?

Many people say that. The IT and privacy law news is full of it.

alexvolk said: When Russia applies new law everybody says "Hey, see what they do here! We did it a long time ago but nobody noticed".

I didn't intend to make a political statement with my question. :) I'm interested in the internet, and I'm interested in Russia.

Yes, other countries have related laws. Canada has Bill S-4 (Digital Privacy Act) and there is likely to be some amendments along the line of The Russian bill. Microsoft is addressing it by planning to store all the information for Office365 (for instance) in Toronto and Quebec by 2016. Germany is in negotiations with the US, and that may end up being troublesome for cloud providers.

How these things impact the server business is the topic of this thread. I'd be interested in what you know about that, and also in the other countries to which you allude. The new Russian law seems likely to have more of an impact than what we've seen in other places and @tgk76 certainly indicated that his company is responding.

• UrDNUrDN Member
    edited July 2015

The laws which have been made in the recent years in Russia against the Internet and democracy in general are unconstitutional. Their primary objective is to suppress freedom of speech and allow government bodies and powerful entities to easily discover opponents. This type of shit is destroying the incredible freedom and development of the I.T sector in Russia but if you have enough money to pay for lawyers it is not difficult to bypass them.

As for this specific law, nobody will care until the government or a powerful organization is looking for someone on your network.

• mikeimikei Member
    edited July 2015

@UrDN said:
    The laws which have been made in the recent years in Russia against the Internet and democracy in general are unconstitutional. Their primary objective is to suppress freedom of speech and allow government bodies and powerful entities to easily discover opponents. This type of shit is destroying the incredible freedom ....

Your opinion is incredibly biased. You just heard from others, most countries have similar legislation. Russia will keep up with others after the liberation chaos.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2015

mikei said: Your opinion is incredibly biased.

Not really, this is not the only law and there are many in areas which do not concern internet or online presence.
    Russia is no longer a democracy for a long time now, opposition leaders are not only silenced and jailed, but outright killed, stuffing ballot boxes does not happen only in conquered areas to justify it under the gun referendum, but in regular elections too, people documenting it are clobbered by "unknown" people. Well, unknown for now, but they will eventually become a "legit" organization working against the "enemies of the people", "traitors of mother russia" and "foreign homosexuals".
    Paradoxically, that will mean Putin's power is secured and he will no longer need to conquer anything to win elections, so, a period of some 10-20 years of peace is not so unlikely anymore because he knows there will be stiff resistance and victories like in Crimea are a one-off type of thing, his neighbors will be prepared after it.

• kendidkendid Veteran

@mikei said:
    Your opinion is incredibly biased. You just heard from others, most countries have similar legislation. Russia will keep up with others after the liberation chaos.

Just curious what other countries have similar legislation? Russia is the only one I am aware of...

• kendid said: Just curious what other countries have similar legislation? Russia is the only one I am aware of...

Most countries have at least partially relevant legislation already - some of which goes back may years (1983 in Canada). The current issue is more pressing and direct because of the global nature of the internet, and especially because of cloud computing. But to answer your question directly, countries that have a data residency or data sovereignty requirement include Germany, Switzerland, China, Canada, and Australia.

I already made reference to the EU, but their General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is developing fast now. That will effect all the member states. A lot of this is driven by the US arrogance regarding other people's data and so we're seeing Mexico, Chile, Brazil, and Argentina discussing this seriously as well. I expect they'll be passing legislation soon. Russia is not unusual.

• mikeimikei Member
    edited August 2015

@Maounique said:

Where do you get all that .... stuff? Source please?

• @kendid said:
    Just curious what other countries have similar legislation? Russia is the only one I am aware of...

Canada at least, and I'm 100% sure most Western Europe. Similar, but much tougher.

• @tgk76 said:
    this is complex question, ..... - http://www.hostkey.com/solutions/russia/

Great positive, business, competitive response to the legislation change! I believe a lot of hard work behind it.

• mikei said: Great positive, business, competitive response to the legislation change! I believe a lot of hard work behind it.

Yes, it looks like Peter has both business and internet smarts. :)

• @Maounique said:

Someone is drowning in propaganda CoolAid :D

edited August 2015

@mikei said:

deadbeef said: Someone is drowning in propaganda CoolAid :D

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-32621330

Ask what else you need sources for, because I am not sure what a russian can consider as being unproved, many still believe the "green men" which occupied all institutions in crimea, organized and "supervised" the so called referendum were local fighters with seized gear from the ukrainian army before even storming the barracks, which the russians did later, officially, as the russian army.
    If Putin denies it, it must be untrue. If Putin accepts it, it is still untrue, because he was misunderstood.

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited August 2015

@Maounique said:

a) The video on that page shows a very old woman with some ballots and some officers examining the scene. That's how Putin rigs elections? By sending his army old ladies to steal ballots? Amazing tactic, that's elite KGB staff beyond my comprehension I guess :D

b) Even the page you cited verbatim says that Putin enjoys wide peoples support. Now I wonder, if you enjoy wide support, why would you go and do massive* scale election rigging?

_* because not massive scale makes no sense.

edited August 2015

a) Not steal, but give ballots. The Putin Youth people are busy supervising the supervisors and the old ladies working at it, do you think it is so easy? There are too many stations, Putin does not have so many young and fit supporters, but for an old lady, the bared chested bear is still attractive.
    b) It depends, Ceausescu enjoyed much higher support than Putin, 99.97% were behind him with the others unable to vote due to deaths or comas, yet he was still overthrown. I bet Kims in NK have similar support, but there is still some work to be done in Russia, the Crimean referendum only had 96.77 support for the occupation, there are still people to be "convinced", a small minority of nazis allied with the tartars paid by foreign agent NGOs and homosexuals.

• Those posting pro russian comments, i can almost guarantee you were not there during the Russian invasion in Crimea, and most likely have not been there... you are only posting 3rd party info from Russian news or something you heard from a friend's relative's girlfriend's uncle.

Sevastopol is definitely pro Russia, always has been. The 120% support during the alleged vote is still hard to believe... Yalta is 50/50, the rest of the peninsula is still very pro Ukraine...

I have friends in Yalta from when we lived in Crimea, who hold government worker positions. Russia is now telling them if they want to keep employed they must exchange jobs with workers in Siberia! Most of them don't want to work in Siberia so are quitting... Many used to be pro Russian but are seeing the true colors as Russia moves in their own people, forcing out the locals to complete the annexation.

Crimean Tatars at the end of Ramadan were not even allowed to celebrate their most holy holiday this year due to a crackdown from Russian authorities...

We just sold our house to a Russian couple and they couldn't believe how bad and bureacratic is right now. They said it is nothing like mainland Russia...much worse...

edited August 2015

@kendid With you gone, the percentage supporting the occupation just grew, even without the new "workers" coming from Siberia! So, it is working, all those sanctions and stupidities the nazis and homosexuals are throwing at the orthodox russian people and support for Putin only grows!
    I am sorry for this too:
    https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2015/03/crimean-tatar-media-will-shut-down-as-arbitrary-registration-deadline-expires/
    This shows once more the care and support the new owners of Crimea have for minorities in sharp contrast to the nazis in Kiev. After all, this is why they started the war in the east, to protect the minorities under the heavy oppression of the nazis and gays paid by NATO.

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited August 2015

@Maounique said:
    a) Not steal, but give ballots.

Doesn't change the argument of how ridiculous that "evidence" was (in regards to the discussion we were having) :)

b) It depends, Ceausescu enjoyed much higher support than Putin, 99.97% were behind him with the others unable to vote due to deaths or comas, yet he was still overthrown. I bet Kims in NK have similar support, but there is still some work to be done in Russia, the Crimean referendum only had 96.77 support for the occupation, there are still people to be "convinced", a small minority of nazis allied with the tartars paid by foreign agent NGOs and homosexuals.

You kinda forgot to notice how it's on an English governmental web site that says about the popular support to Putin and not in Pravda...

edited August 2015

deadbeef said: You kinda forgot to notice how it's on an English governmental web site that says about the popular support to Putin and not in Pravda...

I am not sure what governmental site you are talking about, however, the western media was also quoting the official results of "polls" in communist countries, that did not make them true, just that there are no ways to check real support since the pollsters are "foreign agents" and expelled and voting takes place like that or under the gun like in the occupied territories.

• We just couldn't live there anymore... The polite green men actually pointed an automatic weapon at my daughter who was 12 years at the time... She was holding our dog and they threatened to open fire if the dog got loose... We left the next day... Some of our friends were upset we ran, but my family comes first... At that point we didnt know how bad it was going to get...

Many of our pro Russian friends left too, but have since returned... They don't really talk to us anymore as anyone against Putin is a neonazi/enemy... Really sad to see the division this has brought between friends and families... MANY divorces even as one spouse is pro Russia and the other pro Ukraine...

• @kendid said:
    I have friends in Yalta from when we lived in Crimea, who hold government worker positions. Russia is now telling them if they want to keep employed they must exchange jobs with workers in Siberia! Most of them don't want to work in Siberia so are quitting... Many used to be pro Russian but are seeing the true colors as Russia moves in their own people, forcing out the locals to complete the annexation.

What did you expect? I'm pretty sure the US kept all of Sadam's bureaucracy because it makes so much sense to do it...

Crimean Tatars at the end of Ramadan were not even allowed to celebrate their most holy holiday this year due to a crackdown from Russian authorities...

Tatars (along with many more) have suffered a lot under Russians in the past, that's very true.

edited August 2015

deadbeef said: Tatars (along with many more) have suffered a lot under Russians in the past, that's very true.

Hum, does your supervisor know the western propaganda you are spewing?
    Russia always protected the minorities, even now, a lot of volunteers are spilling their blood in support of the russian minority in the eastern ukraine. More are preparing to support those that will rise in Eesti or Lietuva. A russian army protects those in transnistria too, how can you believe that western shit? You must be paid, a traitor, because nobody in their right mind can believe it.

• kendid said: Those posting pro russian comments,

???

Maounique said: and stupidities the nazis and homosexuals are throwing at the orthodox russian people

How do you see this effecting the server business?

Thanked by 3mikei alexvolk Makenai