Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best virtualization type for high storage VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best virtualization type for high storage VPS?

charliecharlie Member, Host Rep
edited July 2015 in General

What are you think, what is the best virtualization type for high storage VPS (4-500 GB or more storage).

All solution have pro and contra (eq. kvm or hvm with costum partition layout, or xen-pv/openvz have better io speed, etc).

Whyt type?
  1. Xen PV44 votes
    1. Xen HVM
      13.64%
    2. OpenVZ
      34.09%
    3. KVM
      52.27%

Comments

• afterSt0rmafterSt0rm Member
    edited July 2015

If you will provide backup storage, so your biggest needs are fast writes for big chunks of data, data resiliency, stateful data failover and easy duplication, I would recommend Docker + Flocker on top of ZFS.

If what you need is raw I/O performance on big datasets, VMware vSphere ESXi/ESX on top of XFS.

If you just want fast reads for a big number of small files (like a CDN), go with XEN-PV on top of Raiser4/ReiserFS.

But if you just want to provide VMs with a fucking ton storage for general use, go with OpenVZ/KVM on top of EXT4.

(EDIT: I forgot to cite that if you choose the Docker + Flocker approach, you should use OverlayFS as Docker file system)

• Depends in part on what you're going to do with the data once it's stored. If it's going to sit mostly idle, it doesn't really matter. If you're going to push some high traffic to it, that's different.

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited July 2015

Unless you have specialized requirements, just choose what you know best.

For your typical backup activities, the type of virtualization and underlying file system really won't matter.

• EkaatyLinux said: If you will provide backup storage, so your biggest needs are fast writes for big chunks of data, data resiliency, stateful data failover and easy duplication, I would recommend Docker + Flocker on top of ZFS.

While good in theory docket is not safe to rent to customers yet.

• William said: While good in theory docket is not safe to rent to customers yet.

Well, it highly depends on your skills. Some (fucking) big companies are already using Docker in production, but it's obviously non-trivial. As he hasn't mentioned "for production" nor how much effort he will be putting on the project, a theoretical solution is still a good solution that has potential to be put on pratice.

• charliecharlie Member, Host Rep

Thanks for the answer.

We would like to start high storage VPS for backup (or torrent, file sharing, etc) purpose, and we not decided yet what virtualzation type is the most popular for this purpose.

• RurikoRuriko Member
    edited July 2015

I would like to see kvm mainly because it supports custom ISO. Besides your site doesn't offer kvm so it might be a good idea to offer kvm for storage. I hope to see 1TB storage plans.

Any ideas what the bandwidth limit will be like?

• charliecharlie Member, Host Rep

Xen HVM also know these features. We prefer Xen over KVM.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

If your customers will use it for that, OVZ or some other containerization will work best because allows for efficient space usage. Unless you will be using thin provisioning (highly not recommended for big IOPS) Xen/KVM will lead to waste of space, will lead to that anyway as once expanded volumes wont shrink back, but will be loss catastrophic.
    If storage is the key component, you have to go with OVZ and the like.