Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

misbehaving IPs - what's your dumbest support response
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

misbehaving IPs - what's your dumbest support response

BruceBruce Member

Got a response from tech support today, for one of the low-rent VPS that I use for slave DNS

The IP of your server was changed as it was having an issue

OK, so it only takes me 10 minutes to adjust my DNS settings, but why the **** would this happen. Nothing to do with me, no DD-os in or out, no SPAM, no reason to do anything. Maybe they took a node out of production, but surely they could migrate the IP as well as the VM.

having an issue = we won't tell you WHY we changed the IP

Anyway, what's the dumbest response you ever got from support ?

Comments

• ATHKATHK Member

They either, assigned the IP to two VMs, lost that IP block, someone wanted that IP and paid for it or sold the IP block..

Try asking them?

• Migration.

• BruceBruce Member

didn't think they would tell me, but I guess there's nothing to lose

• jhjh Member

Slightly different but one of our clients relies on Adwords for his business. Google suspended the campaign. He spoke to them and they said there's malware on the site. I told him to ask for which URLs are infected and any other information they could get. Initially, Google said it was other sites linking to that site that were infected and provided links - all of which didn't resolve. Then we pushed for more answers and they it's definitely their site but couldn't comment beyond that.

• century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited July 2015

maybe your IP was stolen, hijacked, kidnapped, whatever :P

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

it shouldn't normally happen.

A good hosting provider should have means to police their network to stop the IP 'misbehaving'.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Some IPs just get down with no absolute reason. Other IPs from the same subnet just work. And no, this isn't a DC null. I had this issue personally.

• ehabehab Member

look at my sig.

Thanked by 14n0nx

Radi said: Some IPs just get down with no absolute reason. Other IPs from the same subnet just work. And no, this isn't a DC null. I had this issue personally.

So you're saying that some IP's are better than the other ?

No. It's a network issue that has to be resolved by the provider.

Thanked by 3OnraHost Brad Pwner
  • BruceBruce Member

@ehab said:
    look at my sig.

yep, too lazy to fix the real problem OR too stupid to understand the problem OR don't want to admit to why they're migrating

Thanked by 1OnraHost
  • Answer from FortaTrust, one of the biggest shit providers out there. They won't answer on any ticket except when you're asking for cancellation (as you can't cancel in WHMCS. They removed the option to cancel there). Then they'll once copy / paste an answer you can read everywhere on the internet. That you can contact him on Skype (but never online), call them (no one will ever pick the phone up) or send a letter to somewhere in Panama. Good, huh? But the solution is simple: pay just nothing anymore. They'll send you multiple emails every day that they'll report you to wherever but after some month your service is cancelled and you don't get any emails anymore.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

Well, even the "good" or "quality" providers seem to be pretty bad in terms of keeping their IPs clean.
    Initially my leaseweb IP was blacklisted by all major German email companys and by Hotmail.
    I wrote them a ticket and they failed to do anything in 24 hours so I wrote to all of the providers myself and the blacklists got removed.
    On the one side they seemed to be a provider that cares, as they even asked me after the initial call they gave me if they could call again after a few days to see if everything is alright, and on the other side they don't seem to be able to maintain a clean network.

edited July 2015

Hm. We always check IPs reclaimed from Customers against major blacklists. If the IP isn't clean it's not going back to the pool until we resolve the problem.

• NomadNomad Member

Maybe your IP got old and started having problems. You know, maybe it was getting a hard time getting hard. :D

Dumb explanation indeed.

• IP committed suicide :(

• @nexusrain said:
    Answer from FortaTrust, one of the biggest shit providers out there. They won't answer on any ticket except when you're asking for cancellation (as you can't cancel in WHMCS. They removed the option to cancel there). Then they'll once copy / paste an answer you can read everywhere on the internet. That you can contact him on Skype (but never online), call them (no one will ever pick the phone up) or send a letter to somewhere in Panama. Good, huh? But the solution is simple: pay just nothing anymore. They'll send you multiple emails every day that they'll report you to wherever but after some month your service is cancelled and you don't get any emails anymore.

Good thing someone filled for a class action lawsuit and now that stupid shame list is gone :p

(yeah, I fell in the FT scam too)

• SnapeSnape Member

I'm just happy when LEB hosts actually reply to tickets, even if the response is incredibly dumb. Even happier when their response manages to make it to my inbox and not my spam folder...

edited July 2015

@sdglhm said:

IP committed suicide :(

Called in sick to work :P

• J1021J1021 Member

Clouvider said: Called in stick to work :P

You should hunt down that dictionary on your mobile and disable its ass.

kcaj said: You should hunt down that dictionary on your mobile and disable its ass.

My dictionary thinks it's not ok to call sick to work ^^. Corrected, thanks @kcaj.

Thanked by 1perennate
  • sdglhm said: IP committed suicide :(

Clouvider said: Called in sick to work :P

I'm sorry, I can't come in to work today because I'm dead.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Clouvider said:
    So you're saying that some IP's are better than the other ?

All IP's are equal, but some IP's are more equal then others.

• mikho said: All IP's are equal, but some IP's are more equal then others.

All IP's are equal. Subnet equality for IP's (SEIP)

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@sdglhm said:
    All IP's are equal. Subnet equality for IP's (SEIP)

It was a reference to the book "The animal farm" by George Orwell. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_Farm :)

• mikho said: It was a reference to the book "The animal farm" by George Orwell. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_Farm :)

Thanks @mikho. I was referring a meme line ;)

Thanked by 1mikho
  • doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited July 2015

@century1stop said:
    maybe your IP was stolen, hijacked, kidnapped, whatever :P

How do you propose that someone can steal an IP? Well actually, you can re-announce the block and broadcast it as yours, so... meh

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

doghouch said: How do you propose that someone can steal an IP? Well actually, you can re-announce the block and broadcast it as yours, so... meh

Or bribe/hack RIR.

• @doghouch said:
    How do you propose that someone can steal an IP? Well actually, you can re-announce the block and broadcast it as yours, so... meh

no such need dude, just troll........

• "meh" :P