Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SSD Drive failures?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SSD Drive failures?

drmikedrmike Member
edited November 2011 in General

Greets:

It's been awhile since providers started offering accounts with SSD drives.

Just wondering what the feedback is like? Is the failure rate what folks were predicting?

thanks,
-drmike

Comments

• jhjh Member

I've heard that it might just be the OCZ ones, though we have a couple of those powering our Ubersmith backend just fine..

• Stay far away from Crucial and Intel Drives.

• crucial, intel, and ocz.... some of the top players in the market and we should stay away?

• I've always heard that Intel made the best SSD drives. Haven't had a chance to use one though yet.

• @Corey said: crucial, intel, and ocz.... some of the top players in the market and we should stay away?

Trust me there shite. ( Unless you're buying huge corporate versions at a price of over 1k each)

• I use a samsung one in my machine

• @DanielM I have used patriot and using intel right now.. neither seem to have any problems... although I do not run anything to IO intensive on my desktop.

• @DanielM that is the model I have just not that size... haven't had that problem, bought mine AFTER june.

• I have three SSDs in my own machines (2 in desktop, 1 in laptop), two Crucials and a Corsair, they're great. I've been looking into the Intel 320's for servers and they seem to be great, they have decent garbage collection, so using them in RAID is viable it seems.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

They still randomly die without reason/time.

I got a friend that had one start reporting smart errors and within ~4 hours was toast. He lost all of his data on it but thankfully it wasn't anything of value. It was a high end Intel one too which was surprising.

There are reports on WHT from a few people having the same issue where drives simply fail within hours.

Francisco

• Started having kingston ones fail with alarming regularity, they are blaming a firmware bug...

• @michaels said: Started having kingston ones fail with alarming regularity, they are blaming a firmware bug...

Kingston are just cheap crap ( Like most of there other products) only decent product they make is RAM

• @francisco a drive failling in hours... isn't that a warranty issue? You have platter disks that fail or arrive DOA as well.

• So in other words, it's all rumor and they sometimes work and sometimes don't?

Thanked by 1kylix
  • kiloservekiloserve Member
    edited November 2011

The problem is that the desktop MLC drives are being used in a server environment. If you're going to use desktop SSD's in a server, I would recommend using some kind of protected RAID.

Desktop SSD's in a RAID10/RAID5 works pretty well.

• Well, they have to be in RAID & for server use -> SLC drive even if it's more expensive.

Heard that the intel 311 was quite good for long term use never tried though

• Well, I have OCZ Vertex2 60Gb drive since few months. It works 24/7 in my main workstation (Linux based, kernel supports TRIM and this feature is obviously enabled). There was a little performance loss over these few months but I wrote down zeros all over drive and reinstalled OS - speeds came back to these advertised on box.

• The problem is that when a SSD dies, it dies completely, and you've lost all your data. With a platter-based hard drive, when it starts to fail, there are warning signs, and you can usually copy all your data off (though it should all be backed up anyways) and just replace the drive before it totally dies.

• @DanielM said: Kingston are just cheap crap ( Like most of there other products) only decent product they make is RAM

All my computers use Kingston RAM, can't fault it. Used to use Crucial but in recent years they appear to be quite crap.

If you want a HD/SSD, best to use Hitachi or Samsung.

I still don't use SSDs in any of my computers though, I want 500GB+ of storage without paying $250 for a drive.

I've never ever had a HD fail on me apart from one I took apart then sat on, but thats a different story.

• Seagate has recently released hybrid drives there callled Momentus XT.

• XeoncrossXeoncross Member
    edited November 2011

@Daniel said: All my computers use Kingston RAM

I have found that the kingston "Value RAM" is the best stuff you can buy for over clocking semi-aging computers. The only problem is that it doesn't come out until the RAM market has moved on.

Here is the way it works. After a while, the RAM sizes get compressed and you can now fit more chips on a stick. Most of the "value RAM" is only one sided because they are using the newer stuff on older speed sticks.

This means you can buy a stick and not worry about the heat problems and if you add a heat sink you can really crank it up without any problems.

I haven't played with DDR3 yet, but I almost doubled a DDR 1 stick's speed using that kingston stuff. Oh, and it's usually dirt cheap.

• SSDNodesSSDNodes Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2011

We've been using the Micron P300 SLC SATA III SSDs, which are enterprise drives, and we've seen a very low failure rate with them compared to what others are reporting from Intel and Crucial. The enterprise SSDs have much better endurance and wear leveling than consumer SSDs.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@DanielM said: Seagate has recently released hybrid drives there callled Momentus XT.

They have tons of firmware issues it seems.

Francisco