Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated HDD/SSD VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated HDD/SSD VPS?

I am looking for a VPS with dedicated disk space.

I know delimiter, run above(price is way more then what i want to spend), and vultr (way too expensive)

any others?

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2015

Stevie said: with dedicated disk space.

I wonder what do you mean by "dedicated". If your plan comes with an X amount of GB, then you absolutely can use all of it, it's not "shared" with others. Or do you mean physically separate hardware storage device used just for your VPS? What for?

http://www.time4vps.eu/ was mentioned in a recent thread, quite decent storage plans on RAID6, 20 EUR/year for 512 GB, 4 EUR/month (40/year) for 1024 GB.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Dedicated drive = Dedicated equipment, power usage, you are using slots in the array, which is a limited resource, it just must be expensive.

If you need dedicated HDD I would recommend at really looking into dedicated servers.

• StevieStevie Member

@rm_

Dedicated HDD as in not shared - I was hoping this was becoming more popular but at my price range I guess not.

@Clouvider
    I posted what I wanted If I wanted a dedicated server I would of rented one, but I do not want a dedicated server - I guess the only choices I have are the ones I listed then.

• OVH have this. On their runabove site :) maybe a bit costly

• StevieStevie Member

@TinyTunnel_Tom

I know i listed them on my OP.

Thanked by 1TinyTunnel_Tom
    edited July 2015

Stevie said: Dedicated HDD as in not shared - I was hoping this was becoming more popular but at my price range I guess not.

A dedicated HDD on a VPS does not make a lot of sense. You get worst of the both worlds: your other resources are not really dedicated so it's not as good as a real dedi, AND you run just a single HDD which means lower reliability due to no RAID.

Cheap storage VPS plans will use RAID6, they won't beat I/O speed records, but this is the right choice from the cost efficiency and reliability standpoints.

• StevieStevie Member

@rm_

I have a problem wording what I wanted - sorry for that.

But what I want is a company like delimiter - they offer Dedicated RAM (not shared) 1 cpu core (not shared) and disk (not shared) this is basically what I am looking for.

Stevie said: disk (not shared)

So a dedicated, not shared disk space, or a dedicated, not shared disk drive?

• StevieStevie Member

@Clouvider

Non shared Disk Drive - ugg I am horrible at explaining :-(

I won't be able to add anyone to this list in that case, I agree with @rm_ though that this is not the greatest idea.

May I ask you a question? Instead of dedicated drive with say 50-70MB/s R/W and small number of IOPS, why won't you go, for example, for a good SSD VPS or HA Cloud Server? You can get dedicated memory, dedicated CPU core and while the disk I/O would be shared, if you pick a good company you'll benefit from a similar or higher I/O speed and definitely better IOPS thanks to SSD and, most importantly, from data security thanks to RAID. Just my two cents. It's your request, I'm just presenting alternative options that might still let you accomplish what you need.

Aside form the above, while this is not a normal service that we would offer, how much are you prepared to pay for a dedicated drive and other resources? How much of other resources you need and what size of the drive are you looking at? As we own our equipment I might try to accommodate you as a Custom solution. Please let me know.

• edited July 2015

Stevie said: Non shared Disk Drive

I think you're mentioning OpenVZ as shared disk drive. Correct ?

But KVM also can oversell. <news for summer sales>

• bersybersy Member

Stevie said: But what I want is a company like delimiter - they offer Dedicated RAM (not shared) 1 cpu core (not shared) and disk (not shared) this is basically what I am looking for.

Do you mean Slot Hosting?

I actually think a small dedi is your choice.

edited July 2015

Stevie said: they offer Dedicated RAM (not shared) 1 cpu core (not shared) and disk (not shared)

Don't you also want a motherboard (not shared), hard disk controller (not shared), network card (not shared) and switch port (not shared)? Why are you okay with sharing certain things, but not the others. If you want dedicated resources, just get a real dedi and call it a day. The rest is a pipe dream and a marketing-inspired sick fantasies (not to mention you have to take the provider's word that the CPU cores are not shared and that RAM is not oversold).

Thanked by 1alexvolk
  • StevieStevie Member

@Clouvider

Yea I understand it is a weird request, the main reason is I believe having a dedicated drive would be more secure then having a standard cloud/vps account. Although rare, one could hack a vps machine host node and copy all information, so I am thinking having a dedicated drive would be a better safe bet?

I am just looking for options mostly, while I understand your first response on getting a dedicated server would be the best option I do not have the funds for that and I do not want kimisurf.

• Stevie said: one could hack a vps machine host node and copy all information, so I am thinking having a dedicated drive would be a better safe bet?

In your case. Even if the Disk is dedicated, Let's assume I was able to hack the main node. Well guess what. I do have access to your Dedicated Disk

If your concern about security, buy a dedicated server. That's the only thing I can think that matches with your request.

• StevieStevie Member

@sdglhm

lol that was a horrible example I gave and you are 100% right and that was a huge fail on my thinking.

I guess dedicated is the way to go but I have to get a bigger budget

Stevie said: I guess dedicated is the way to go but I have to get a bigger budget

I think so too. In the meantime just go with a reputable VPS/Cloud provider :).

• If you're with a good provider, I highly doubt that they will surf your files for fun.

Start with a good VPS. OpenVZ indeed is shared at base level. Try KVM VPS for first. Later on you can go with Dedicated and after few years, who will know. Maybe you'll have your own DC ;) We cannot predict once mans futures.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • cociucociu Member

@Stevie you are in time, tumorow i will start new node , if you want a dedicated hdd please pm with details/budget , We are located in Romania. PS will be a new drive

• Stevie said: But what I want is a company like delimiter - they offer Dedicated RAM (not shared) 1 cpu core (not shared) and disk (not shared) this is basically what I am looking for.

So whats wrong with Delimiter's slot hosting offer?

• StevieStevie Member

@MarkTurner
    Don't have $30 upfront :-(

• @Stevie - how much storage do you actually need?

• StevieStevie Member

@MarkTurner

honestly 10 gig is way more then i need - its just for a database

• @Stevie - what about this:

Dedicated X5650 Core, 1GB RAM, 40GB HDD, 1TB BW $6.50/mo
    https://clients.delimitervps.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=176

• @Stevie said:
    honestly 10 gig

Purchase vps from reputable providers and big companies and chances that it'll safe are bigger than hosting with small ones.

Suggestion: before purchasing from some company check their shady history.

• StevieStevie Member

@MarkTurner

Yea I saw that but is that all dedicated including disk drive ?

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

Maybe it would help to know your motives for wanting a "dedicated disk drive"

• StevieStevie Member

@4n0nx

Just for a remote database.

I feel more secure with dedicated drive even though dedicated is my best choice - just looking for solutions.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

@Stevie sorry somehow I missed all the later posts o.O maybe I left this tab open while I was gone..

Yes, dedicated then. Doesn't OVH now offer VPS's with dedicated hard drives? Can't find anymore. :(

• StevieStevie Member

@4n0nx

No worries.

OVH does with there runabove.com its 0.03 a hour and vultr does for 0.08 cents a hour. If delimiter $6.50 package is a dedicated hard disk it would be the cheapest offer.