Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DNS queries
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DNS queries

AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran
edited September 2012 in General

Okey, so I was just invoiced by dnsmadeeasy for going over my monthly quoata:
http://i.imgur.com/C2ztO.png

What could be actually causing that many hits?

Comments

• Maybe someone used your domain/DNS servers for a DNS reflection attack?

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited September 2012

I am using DNSmadeeasy for DNS services.
    With that rate it would go over 12 million in sept.

• flyfly Member
    edited September 2012

well there is an upward trend of hits, which may make it look legitimate. why don't you run your own nameservers?

My main website is behind a proxy and hosting will make it a weak point, counting that we are often targeted for DDOS attacks.

• What's your TTLs? Raising the TTL for each domain may help as there'd be more caching....

Thanked by 1AlexBarakov

Yup, the TTL was low in case of disaster. Forgot to decrease it after the spike of traffic the past month.

• I don't understand how you're supposed to verify DNS queries, what is to stop the DNS provider from just adding on a few hundred thousand or even million? I don't understand the per query pricing model as there are so many free providers I don't understand how they can't provide DNS at a flat rate.

Thanked by 1NanoG6

I've jsut passed 12 millions since the begining of sept. They rise at enourmous rate, no matter of the TTL. Was forced to move to cloudflare.

• Out of curiosity how much were you charged for the extra queries?

For 2 millions over, was charged about 35-40$. However I hit around 1 million per day, so it is going to be huge overusage charge if I stay with dnsmadeeasy.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

We saw a huge spike in DNS queries also and nobody could figure out what caused it (DNSMadeEasy pulled a 48 hour log for us and it showed a lot of traffic from the UK for some reason). We raised our TTLs for all except our primary domain and it dropped to 2.5m queries per month which is more acceptable. Our TTL for our primary domain was 120 (I just raised it to 300 as I was typing this since I was logged in already).

@KuJoe said: We saw a huge spike in DNS queries also and nobody could figure out what caused it (DNSMadeEasy pulled a 48 hour log for us and it showed a lot of traffic from the UK for some reason). We raised our TTLs for all except our primary domain and it dropped to 2.5m queries per month which is more acceptable. Our TTL for our primary domain was 120 (I just raised it to 300 as I was typing this since I was logged in already).

Our TTL was 300 as well. Then I raised it to the standard 24 hours 86k or smth similar to this. http://i.imgur.com/P0Zxb.png

I lied accidentely, we are not hitting 1 million per day, but aruond 600k daily.

• This is a real common problem with many outsourced DNS providers who bill with this sort of overage model.

DNSMadeEasy is pretty reputable, so I assume the requests were legitimate. Nice of them to provide some logs.

Have another competitor that shall go unnamed that we've requested any information from to substantiate their crazy billing overages. Think like a cool $5 per million over quota. Haven't seen attacks or anything saying more traffic, just DNS service increase and big bill.

I know the provider is inflating our queries. Recourse? Good luck. Just dump them.

Tad harder for me to dump providers and raise TTL's since we have bunches of custom domains as well as utilize geographic DNS location.

I've moved to cloudflare professional, as I can not afford to pay hundreds of overusage on DNSmadeeasy.

• I am testing a provider that posts here now as an alternative to DNSMADEEASY and the other company I won't name.

1 euro per million queries with geo-features is more my budget.

For generic DNS use most folks need, probably can use your domain registry's own DNS services. Do that for a bunch of small low use sites.

DNS is uber low cost to serve up. The low latency anycast stuff for the servers I believe to be costly and operations of a dozen servers perhaps. It's not a huge business. Definitely small on bandwidth and CPU to be gouging folks @ $5 per million. Lots of much costlier service out there beyond that price point.

• Might be DNS Prefetching ;)

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

For us from business point of view it's better to charge per 1 million requests and include all the features free of charge.

• That's why @gbshouse we are onboard with your service :)

Our old DNS company is still increasing our DNS use numbers even though we changed our nameservers away from them over 36 hours ago.

Wonder at which point they'll finally stop increasing our DNS counts :) ?

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@pubcrawler - DNS propagation can be messy, I know from my own experience that in practice it takes longer that 72 hours to propagate (sometimes even 1-2 weeks). Anyway we log every source IP per domain so in case of problems with number of queries we can provide detailed logs.

• @gbshouse, liking your service and responsiveness on the tickets. Keep it up.

Logs would be nice when odd spikes happening to determine why. (haven't seen that with your service yet).

Your competitor I won't mention basically hits us up for $5 per million with a flat 4 million auto billed each month. Then a nearly $5 per million on top of that.

Already kicking their butt on the price and customer support :)