Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wordpress: Best custom fields/views plugin?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wordpress: Best custom fields/views plugin?

littleguylittleguy Member
edited September 2012 in General

Hi guys! What is the best Custom Post type, fields and views plugin for Wordpress?

I'm looking to get an experience similar to Drupal with Views.

Right now I'm using WP-Types ( http://wp-types.com/ ) but I find the functionality to be inadequate and unsatisfactory, not to mention buggy.

Any input?

Comments

• I've tried few such plugins in the past and honestly can't recommend any, not that there aren't any, just my personal experience. Usually they are either bloated, broken, or will break your site sooner or later, which I couldn't afford as the main functionality of my site depends on custom post types.

After much frustration, I decided to do it myself (following tutorials etc.), and it has been running without problems ever since.

This is what I recommend:

Generate your custom post types
    Generate your custom taxonomies
    and put these in your funcions.php file.

Next you will need meta boxes for your post types to make it usable. I've used the ones from deluxeblogtips.com. It has since been turned into a plugin, which should work fine if you want to go that route. I've used the script myself.

After that, you'll need to edit your theme files to call the post types and custom fields as you wish.

Hope that helps.

• littleguylittleguy Member
    edited September 2012

@Dudeist said: I've tried few such plugins in the past

Thank you for your input!

I fully agree with you that most of the existing plugins are bad. I'm sad you haven't found a better solution. Perhaps Types and Views (link in original post) is the best right now because it is paid, so there's an incentive to continue development. It's a pretty sad state of affairs.

Unfortunately I need to be able to generate views/templates on the admin side so I can't roll my own for this particular project. Your plugin (Meta Box) does look neat though.

If you haven't checked out Views and Types, you should give it a whirl. Views is really the interesting part, very similar to Views in Drupal (but buggy and slow :)).

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I have a license for wp-types and did play around with it some time ago but got caught up with some other bigger and more important projects.

So far I like what it can do without much coding. I still need more time with it to master it.

• @littleguy

@littleguy said: I'm sad you haven't found a better solution.

I did after careful consideration, which I described above. This solution is rock solid and my theme won't crap out on me next Monday, or any other day. In the worst case scenario, I'll know what needs changing before my pants get caught on fire

@littleguy said: Perhaps Types and Views (link in original post) is the best right now because it is paid, so there's an incentive to continue development.

Perhaps. But this is no guarantee (or even a safe bet), that this plugin will be developed and improved, or that the developer is either willing or competent enough to continue with his pet project. What if he gets hit by a bus tomorrow?

@littleguy said: Unfortunately I need to be able to generate views/templates on the admin side so I can't roll my own for this particular project.

That's too bad. If you're willing to let a do-it-all plugin inject a lot of garbage into your theme file without any of your control, then be prepared for some funny surprises.
    I can understand that your project either pays peanuts, or is a favor for a friend, but that's all I can suggest from my experience. My main concern was stability and speed, and it delivered without a glitch. I hope someone else from LEB will chip in, or you can try your question at stackexchange.

@littleguy said: Your plugin (Meta Box) does look neat though.

This is a supplemental plugin, after you have your custom post types in place. It doesn't do anything magically or on it's own.

@littleguy said: If you haven't checked out Views and Types, you should give it a whirl. Views is really the interesting part, very similar to Views in Drupal (but buggy and slow :)).

I don't really have the time (or nerves) to check it out right now, apart from what you linked, but maybe another time.

Good luck!

• what about best free adsense theme and plugin :)

• littleguylittleguy Member
    edited September 2012

@Dudeist said: This solution is rock solid and my theme won't crap out on me next Monday

Fully agree!

@Dudeist said: is no guarantee (or even a safe bet), that this plugin will be developed and improved

You're right, but this is true for your own plugins as well. If you don't maintain them you'll see messages about deprecated functions quickly - and you have to do the updating.

@Dudeist said: be prepared for some funny surprises

Yeah, already seen a few of these, haha!

@Dudeist said: I can understand that your project either pays peanuts, or is a favor for a friend

There's actually a third option - that there is no money for a back-end dev. Hiring a frontend guy to do template work is cheaper.

Thanks for your insights!