Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to create VM with VMware ESXi and seperate IP for them??
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to create VM with VMware ESXi and seperate IP for them??

Please help me, i'm new !

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2015

Create a VM and in the OS set an IP that is different from the other VMs and hosts. Done.

I hope that is what you're asking. If not, please provide a more detailed question so we can understand better.

Thanked by 1vaotam
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Google result. Watch and let us know if it worked

Thanked by 1vaotam
  • question 1. Is this on a local network or you bought a dedicated server?
    2. does your dedicated server come with multiple IP's or are you trying to get a NAT configured

Thanked by 1vaotam
  • BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2015

1) Please google the question you've asked.

2) Please read what you've googled.

• vaotamvaotam Member
    edited July 2015

@ronaldgrn said:
    question 1. Is this on a local network or you bought a dedicated server?
    2. does your dedicated server come with multiple IP's or are you trying to get a NAT configured

answer 1: dedicated server
    answer 2: i bought from dacentec come with 1IP, can you guide me use NAT configured ?

• while you can NAT with 1ip... I really recommend you get at least 2 IPS... one for the ESXi install and the other for your firewall (pfsense/sophos/zentyal/clearos etc)

Thanked by 1vaotam
    edited July 2015

You have 2 options if you only have a single IP available:

1) Buy a 2nd IP, install a software router (I use ClearOS for my ESXi installs but Vyatta or any other should be fine), add the 2nd IP to the software router and point all of your VMs to the software router for NAT.

2) Install a software router (like mentioned above), add your single IP to the software router, change your IP on your ESXi host to a NAT'ed IP (or use DHCP) and point it to your software router to manage internally and point all of your VMs to the software router for NAT. (You'll want to request KVM over IP access to your server from Dacentec since you'll lose connection to your ESXi host when you assign the IP to your software router.)

Thanked by 1vaotam
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2015

You can't run NAT on ESXi with only one IP - You need another IP for a VM that does the NAT.

ronaldgrn said: while you can NAT with 1ip...

No you can't unless you don't want access to the host anymore or play around with ugly hacks (multiple bridges and NAT IP on the host, very bad if the VM does not autostart at one point).

Thanked by 1vaotam

William said: You can't run NAT on ESXi with only one IP - You need another IP for a VM that does the NAT.

You can, you just need to run a software router and you'll need to NAT your ESXi host. I've done this in the past with a Delimiter server that only had one IP.

Thanked by 3ronaldgrn mikho vaotam
  • @William said:
    You can't run NAT on ESXi with only one IP - You need another IP for a VM that does the NAT.

Its less a hack and more of some careful planning to get it working.. of course I really don't recommend it but on cases where you have ilo or DRAC you don't necessarily need to keep the server on its own ip.. in fact its probably safer if its not.

Thanked by 1vaotam
  • @BharatB said:
    1) Please google the question you've asked.

2) Please read what you've googled.

Like you were never a beginner...

Thanked by 1vaotam
  • BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

@ronaldgrn said:
    Like you were never a beginner...

I did what I advised when I was a beginner.

Thanked by 1BeardyUnixGuy
  • vaotamvaotam Member
    edited July 2015

@ronaldgrn said:
    while you can NAT with 1ip... I really recommend you get at least 2 IPS... one for the ESXi install and the other for your firewall (pfsense/sophos/zentyal/clearos etc)

I think this is good choice, so summary, now i have 1 IP, and i will install pfsense and next step, how i can seperate more IP by pfsense. Thank you !

• I got esxi to work with 1 ip nat using an online.net server.

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/993621/#Comment_993621

Let me know if it works for dacentec.