Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kimsufi Low end vpses
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Kimsufi Low end vpses

ajonesajones Banned
edited August 2012 in General

I've had one for a while now.
They were free(5gb disk - 128mb ram - 1 ip) its pretty good for its specs tbh.

Anyone else use one?

Comments

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Have one - yes
    Use one - hell no

Thanked by 2Infinity NateN34
  • I have one, but I haven't actually started using it for anything yet. Probably going to change that today, but I don't know what I'm going to use it for yet.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Used it as an SSH tunnel a few times, that's about it.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I'd never work with something that is for free... dunno why, can't explain it. I just feel extremely unsecure with the free things. At the end - nothing is free in this life.

• I've used it for just a small dns server.

• Idle.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2012

@Alex_LiquidHost said: I'd never work with something that is for free... dunno why, can't explain it. I just feel extremely unsecure with the free things. At the end - nothing is free in this life.

Unless it's from a reputable and established company that isn't really hurt by the loss has nothing to gain from providing a terrible service at any or no cost. Pretty much the scenario here. Real reason not to use it is no confidence in it's future.

• OVH is a reputable company. It has the largest datacenter in the world.

• It's not free forever right?

• nunimnunim Member
    edited August 2012

@ajones said: OVH is a reputable company. It has the largest datacenter in the world.

If you're talking about their new Canada location, it's not the largest datacenter in the world. It "will" be the largest DC when fully built but by the time they get around to that I'm sure their will be something bigger.

I couldn't figure out how to signup for the free vks from US, but granted I didn't try that hard. I was pretty happy with my free server for a month, it'll be nice if they launch some Kimsufis there eventually, I'll pick one up for sure as long as it's sub $30/mo. They need to work on IPv6 support though.

• AsadAsad Member

We still have these?

Honestly, all the free and paid VPSs I get I don't ever use again or forget I ever had it.

• @nunim said: If you're talking about their new Canada location, it's not the largest datacenter in the world. It "will" be the largest DC when fully built but by the time they get around to that I'm sure their will be something bigger.

I couldn't figure out how to signup for the free vks from US, but granted I didn't try that hard. I was pretty happy with my free server for a month, it'll be nice if they launch some Kimsufis there eventually, I'll pick one up for sure as long as it's sub $30/mo. They need to work on IPv6 support though.

OVH announced the Canada one is built fully.

• I'm still having it. Just for proxy or leave it iddle

• lumaluma Member

I have it and use it. Turning out to be one of the best VPS' I have! Very stable, Network has been superb!

Can't wait to be able to buy a few more powerful ones in various spots and then I can cancel everything else I have.

• Have one at their Hong Kong location... pretty rare location :)

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited August 2012

@nunim said: couldn't figure out how to signup for the free vks from US, but granted I didn't try that hard.

Try french page with "all" countries listed.

First create nic handle here:

https://www.ovh.com/fr/cgi-bin/nic/newNic.cgi

And then order vps here.

http://www.kimsufi.com/fr/vks/geovks.xml

Insert your real location (country) as you will get verification text message with registration code to your phone.

Thanked by 2upfreak Pats
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2012

I have one in HK since July I think, used it for my ejabberd server (rock-solid, despite being 70+MB into vSwap :D), but now that their time is running out, I moved ejabberd somewhere else and now just run a Tor relay there.

@NickM said: I have one, but I haven't actually started using it for anything yet. Probably going to change that today

Rumours say they will be discontinued in Sept/Oct, and it's not certain that you'll be able to prolong it even for pay. So I dunno if it's a good idea to even bother starting using one for anything non-trivial today.

• @rm_ Thanks. I don't really plan on using it for anything that important, so it won't be a huge loss.

• Got one @newark DC. It is free, but you must renew it monthly. which is a good way to ward off idlers.
    here is a quick bench..

CPU model :  AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 6172
    Number of cores : 1
    CPU frequency :  2100.025 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 128 MB
    Total amount of swap : 128 MB
    System uptime :   29 min,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 9.26MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Atlanta GA: 14.8MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Dallas, TX: 13.3MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 5.85MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, London, UK: 12.3MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 12.8MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 4.00MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 7.07MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 7.84MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 22.0MB/s
    I/O speed : dd: opening `/dev/zero': No such file or directory

I/O speed i am checking..

• @peppr said: dd: opening `/dev/zero': No such file or directory

LOL :)
    can you please ls -l /dev/

• PatsPats Member

hmm.. HK location will be good for dns, Will try to get one after i get to my lappie.. difficult from mobile :)

• PatsPats Member

hmm... didn't any sms... looks like todays daily limit exhausted...

• Hong Kong.

root@vks19982:~# wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    CPU model :  AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 6172
    Number of cores : 1
    CPU frequency :  2100.025 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 128 MB
    Total amount of swap : 128 MB
    System uptime :   20 days, 20:08,       
    Download speed from CacheFly: 7.04MB/s 
    Download speed from Linode, Atlanta GA: 14.4MB/s 
    Download speed from Linode, Dallas, TX: 12.0MB/s 
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 5.47MB/s 
    Download speed from Linode, London, UK: 9.40MB/s 
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 10.3MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 3.24MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 7.96MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 5.86MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 18.4MB/s 
    I/O speed :  110 MB/s

• PatsPats Member
    edited September 2012

@peppr said: It is free, but you must renew it monthly

how do you Renew it? (my VKS says VKS 2012 model XS - 1 month From 04-09-2012 to 04-10-2012)

• @Pats said: how do you Renew it?

I guess you need to login into their billing panel and renew it.

Thanked by 1Pats
  • When it will come to due, you will see a flag, and you can click there to renew it.
    Usually it's 5 days before due :)

Thanked by 1Pats
  • How do you get one in Hong Kong?

• @Windy said: How do you get one in Hong Kong?

I applied for one there, but instead got from Newark. So i am waiting for some expert tips too..

• i didnt get a sms...

• @peppr said: I applied for one there, but instead got from Newark. So i am waiting for some expert tips too..

It is first come first serve. If the Nodes in HK are full they automatically provision you with a VPS in another location.