Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Decent US VPS for a VPN in Croatia
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Decent US VPS for a VPN in Croatia

filmgirlfilmgirl Member
edited August 2011 in General

Hi all,
I'm in the United States (New York, New York), but a colleague of mine is in Croatia. We work for a large technology website with a US focused audience and it's difficult for our European editor to test certain sites and services because of his location. Proxy servers only work so well. Originally, my thought was to use one of the dormant boxes in our office to just create a VPN to our office network that he could access. The problem is, we JUST moved offices and won't have fiber for another two months (Verizon installers are on strike) and our interim solution is hardly going to work.

Thus, my thought is, why not just get a cheap US-based LEB and do a VPN for that. I'm actually a little annoyed I didn't think of this earlier (I've been with the company for 2 years and our European editor has been with us for like 5 years...yet it didn't dawn on me until June that, smack forehead we could get him a VPN connection to take care of his tunneling needs). Any recommendations for a VPS that will work with a VPN that doesn't have hellatious ping times to Croatia/Eastern Europe? I've got a BuyVM account for myself but Freemont to Zagreb doesn't strike me as being ideal. I'd think an Atlanta or Dallas DC would be better.

Thoughts or recommendations? This would literally just be used as a VPN, so the specs can be limited, just looking at probably 500GB a month in bandwidth (and to be honest, that would be a stretch). There really isn't a budget - cheaper is better, but I'm thinking I'd like to stay in the sub $20 a month range if possible.

Comments

• iKockaiKocka Member
    edited August 2011

Almost all routes from Europe go trough Washington D.C., so it would be good to take a VPS near it. It would also help that you take a VPS from provider who's network provider is peering with your friend's ISP. Ping should be >140 ms.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

We have quite a few clients from Croatia that run VPNs but, to be honest, I have no idea what kind of latency they are getting.

Your best bet is to have your colleague ping the test IPs provided by the LEB providers and just determine which one is best (or which one is best for the money).

• Thanks for the feedback -- I'll have him try the test IPs and look at getting something from a host with a DC data center.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited August 2011

I would suggest you some vps host which have servers at FORTRESS ITX New Jersey DC (ThrustVPS, more reputable SolarVPS, etc..). I am from country which is near your colleagues country and while I had (and still have) plenty .us vpses I never had better latency to .us than with ThrustVPS (around 120 ms) which is pretty impressive for US - eastern EU (thanks to Telia).
    Let him to try some IP from 69.72.186.xx range.

• I would go for a VPS in the North East of the US. Like Washington, New York, etc. They have good connections to Europe there.

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited August 2011

I would go for a VPS in the North East of the US. Like Washington, New York, etc.

cough That's Mid Atlantic. It's one of the few things Boston and Yankees fans agree on. :)

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

My Hostigation VPS in Rock Hill feels like LAN in the UK here, just like in the Redstation datacenter :)

• @Humza: I don't consider 100 ms as LAN ;)

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2011

I'm talking about snappyness (if that is a word :) it loads really fast, It's the first US server that I've seen that fast. It was an exaggeration, can't you tell, come on I am like 5000miles from the US, I guess.

But Redstation is like the next level, it is REALLY REALLY fast.