Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Galaxy S3 Screen Replacement
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Galaxy S3 Screen Replacement

rethinkvpsrethinkvps Member
edited September 2012 in General

Hello guys -

Well I recently dropped my brand new Samsung Galaxy S3 and cracked the screen. I have contacted a few places and they are saying that it will cost £160 for a screen and a digitizer.

Does anybody here know what a digitizer is? What do they do because my screen still functions where the crack is so would it be possible to just change the glass instead of the full thing.

Comments

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

digitalizer is the touch itself. It is something that is generally put over the displey. And the protective glass over it.

• AsadAsad Member
    edited September 2012

@rethinkvps Ouch.

The digitizer converts direct analog touch input into digital input. It's pretty much part of the screen and you'll need to get both replaced unfortunately.

If you don't care about your warranty - Save yourself some money and look up YouTube videos on how to do it yourself, then buy the parts off eBay.

• @AsadHaider said: @rethinkvps Ouch.

The digitizer converts direct analog touch input into digital input. It's pretty much part of the screen and you'll need to get both replaced unfortunately.

If you don't care about your warranty - Save yourself some money and look up YouTube videos on how to do it yourself, then buy the parts off eBay.

But surely if I can still tap the screen where the crack is and it works fine I could just replace the glass?

• @rethinkvps if the touch works then you just need the LCD screen.

• @Jacob said: @rethinkvps if the touch works then you just need the LCD screen.

You've just saved my day if you're correct.

<3

• The digitizer is only £10 for kit anyway.

• Sometimes the digitizer and LCD screen are bonded together for thinness.

• Is it like that in the S3?

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

How did you manage to crack it btw? I've literally thrown my old HTC at the wall 4 times, since I have it and never managed to do any demage to it. And around 2 weeks ago I dropped one s3, which wasn't myne.. Luckily no damage on it as well.

• On my bathroom floor. It's a wet room so it's just concrete much.

• Can someone confirm to me what is exactly broke on mine.

I have a crack on the very top layer as I can feel it. I can see my screen perfectly but there is just a crack on it. I can still touch the screen everywhere and it works fine

• I looked at that link @AsadHaider and it's just the gorilla glass that is broken on mine.

• You should probably ask on xda-developers

• I'm going to a local shop tomorrow. He thinks it could just be the glass so I have my fingers crossed

• @rethinkvps Is it one of those phone shops owned by Asians? Careful he doesn't rip you off :P it can't hurt to ask on xda-dev.

• @AsadHaider said: @rethinkvps Is it one of those phone shops owned by Asians? Careful he doesn't rip you off :P it can't hurt to ask on xda-dev.

No it aint haha and I will do.

• 160!!! for just a screen danggg....

• @joodle said: 160!!! for just a screen danggg....

For the LCD yes.

• 160 pounds? might as get a new one...?

• @fly said: 160 pounds? might as get a new one...?

Find me a brand new S3 for £160 then haha

• Could always try the shop where you bought the phone from if it was on contract or something. O2 and Apple replace phones with accidental damage free of charge sometimes.

• @liam said: Praise the lord for insurance.

Have you not got household insurance?

Yes but it doesn't cover mobile phones.

• @rethinkvps said: Yes but it doesn't cover mobile phones.

I know this isn't going to help you now, but next time you get such an expensive piece of hardware just spend 100€ on an extra insurance or so.

• dwilddwild Member
    edited September 2012

@rethinkvps said: But surely if I can still tap the screen where the crack is and it works fine I could just replace the glass?

The glass and the screen is one piece and it's a pain in the ass to replace that, they are glued to the phone. You need an heat gun... check that video: