Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS or not?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS or not?

KytroKytro Member

Hello everyone,

So recently I've bought a script that's using Laravel framework, and it's basically a really simple CMS but it fetches information from an external API to my database (something small).

My problem is that I'm using (offshore) shared web hosting and they have limits in mysql databases (like most of hosting providers) and they can't increase those limits (oh well, I'm paying 1$ anyways).

So my question for you is - My website gets 400 to 800 users everyday (the script is really small and fast!) should I try to get a better hosting provider, or should I go with a small VPS?

If you recommend me a VPS, what specs should I get? Since I'll be only using Apache and 1 mysql database.

Appreciate your help!

Comments

• The more of the infrastructure you own the more of the project you own.

• I have a blog (~30-50 visitors a day) hosted on a 64mb VPS Running Apache2 and MariaDB. I myself have not used MySQL so would not know how many resources it takes. I'd recommend evoburst.com's 512 BudgetVZ. Had one for a while now and no problems whatsoever.

• @Kytro said:
    Hello everyone,

So recently I've bought a script that's using Laravel framework, and it's basically a really simple CMS but it fetches information from an external API to my database (something small).

My problem is that I'm using (offshore) shared web hosting and they have limits in mysql databases (like most of hosting providers) and they can't increase those limits (oh well, I'm paying 1$ anyways).

So my question for you is - My website gets 400 to 800 users everyday (the script is really small and fast!) should I try to get a better hosting provider, or should I go with a small VPS?

If you recommend me a VPS, what specs should I get? Since I'll be only using Apache and 1 mysql database.

Appreciate your help!

Do you plan to grow? Do you feel comfortable managing a VPS?

• One of my personal blog runs on a 256MB CentOS LAMP stack perfectly. Average daily visitors around 2k-5k

• Kytro said:

How comfortable are you with the linux command line? What is your budget? If you are comfortable with the command line or can afford the cost of a control panel then definitely go with a VPS. Otherwise find better shared hosting.

If you don't need a control panel then a 256MB or 512MB openvz from a quality provider should suffice.

• KytroKytro Member

@gibster said:
    I have a blog (~30-50 visitors a day) hosted on a 64mb VPS Running Apache2 and MariaDB. I myself have not used MySQL so would not know how many resources it takes. I'd recommend evoburst.com's 512 BudgetVZ. Had one for a while now and no problems whatsoever.

@sdglhm said:
    One of my personal blog runs on a 256MB CentOS LAMP stack perfectly. Average daily visitors around 2k-5k

Alright, that doesn't seem that bad.
    I thought I'd need a bigger VPS, but Evoburst doesn't have 'offshore' location for the BudgetVZ.

@VPSSoldiers said:
    Do you plan to grow? Do you feel comfortable managing a VPS?

Yes and yes!

@Abdussamad said:
    If you don't need a control panel then a 256MB or 512MB openvz from a quality provider should suffice.

I'm no pro, I've never actually pointed a domain to a Linux VPS, but I guess that would be easy even if I follow a tutorial? I mean, I just need the database & apache.

• Kytro said:

I'm no pro, I've never actually pointed a domain to a Linux VPS, but I guess that would be easy even if I follow a tutorial? I mean, I just need the database & apache.

I suggest getting a VPS with a cheap control panel like directadmin. Otherwise find better shared hosting.

• Kytro said: try to get a better hosting provider

Try BuyShared.

• @Kytro said:
    Yes and yes!

I would personally go with a VPS then. Easier to expand and grow in the long run imho.

• KytroKytro Member

@Abdussamad said:
    I suggest getting a VPS with a cheap control panel like directadmin. Otherwise find better shared hosting.
    @VPSSoldiers said:
    I would personally go with a VPS then. Easier to expand and grow in the long run imho.

Alright, doing to try and find a good VPS provider, but first doing to read how to manage DNS and stuff like that.

@rajprakash said:
    Try BuyShared.

Thank you, great prices, going to read up some reviews ;)

• Do you NEED to use Apache? can't you switch to lighttpd or something?

• KytroKytro Member

@hostnoob said:
    Do you NEED to use Apache? can't you switch to lighttpd or something?

I guess I can, I just need PHP/mysql working!

• Install VestaCP

• try ramnode 13.50$/y. With LowEndScript you can optimize your vps to use low resources. Ping is great from Europe to their NL location.

• Kytro said: I guess I can, I just need PHP/mysql working!

DO is also an option. Also they got some pretty awesome ready made templates for installation.

• @Kytro said:
    I guess I can, I just need PHP/mysql working!

256MB should be enough, maybe even 128MB

Thanked by 1Kytro
  • I think you should get a better web hosting. You need to get up and running fast, even with tutorials they won't cover any of the issues or tackles you might come across with learning Linux commandline.

Web hosts are there to make websites up and running fast.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

Kytro said: Thank you, great prices, going to read up some reviews ;)

They are excellent

• KytroKytro Member

@jvnadr said:
    They are excellent

Yes they are! I just got shared hosting from them, fast and I didn't had problems like I was having with my database, I might get DDoS protection from them too :P

• vladka24 said: I think you should get a better web hosting

+1. Even I use our own shared hosting to host my websites rather than configuring my boxes.