Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My 11 Months Journey with Online.Net
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

My 11 Months Journey with Online.Net

SadySady Member
edited July 2015 in Reviews

Hello,
Hope you all are doing good, It's my first review ever so expect some mistakes :P
As said in the title, I've been with online.net for 11 months now. I signed up there when kidechire was announced first time & was able to grab one. Then I grabbed an DEDIBOX® XC 2015 for some experimental purposes & at the moment I've 5 servers from them including 3 kidechires :D

Support:
I've 15 tickets with them & responses were in a timely manner ranging from 10 minutes to 6 hours. I had only a major issue with them when they denied to accept my Payoneer's card saying that this is a virtual card ( which it wasn't). Their English grammar is a bit wonky but understandable at least.
One of my server's HDD had an error with smartctl so I requested them to replace the HDD on 18th July, they confirmed that I've backed up my data two times & they at last gave me an option in panel to let me replace my server which goes fully automatic & I was assigned a new IP Address & a new Server ID with Server having brand new HDD as well :) That hardware replacement took ~36 hours.

Network:
Their network is what I like at most because of good speeds all over the world & lower latency to my place (~160ms). I haven't noticed any downtime yet. I don't monitor any of my servers but I do use them most of hours of the day.

FreeVPS's Benchmark:

CPU model :  Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU  C2750  @ 2.40GHz
Number of cores : 8
CPU frequency :  1200.000 MHz
Total amount of ram : 7994 MB
Total amount of swap : 7811 MB
System uptime :   22 min,
Download speed from CacheFly: 75.8MB/s
Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 10.9MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 11.2MB/s
Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 4.11MB/s
Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 59.8MB/s
Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 82.4MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 6.39MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 10.7MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 9.42MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 18.9MB/s
I/O speed :  114 MB/s

Panel:
They provide a panel having all features which you can ask from a dedicated server's provider. You can reinstall, change rDNS, control power, reboot in rescure, deploy a KVMoIP, break your IPv6 subnet, assign failover IP, control power of your server, control your FTP Backup space etc from there.

Price:
Their price is pretty reasonable on each & everything but lacks a bit in Additional IP address & that is why I don't have any virtualized node there :D
They provide 100GB of FTP Backup space with every server free of cost.

Overall Experience:
I would rate them 9.5/10 due to the fast support, network & uptime etc. If they can make their English a bit better then they deserve 10/10 :)

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Sady said: heir network is what I like at most

Some people say their network sucks, I guess die hard fans of OVH. I found their network acceptable, even if it was ten times slower, would have still been happy with it, the poor CPU cannot cope with the encrypted traffic I throw at it, otherwise it would have done way better as plain transfers show higher throughput than what you posted.

• AltAlt Member

@Sady, "I/O speed : 114 MB/s", I guess it's a XC with SSD?
    If you have a XC with HDD, please can you post a benchmark? At least the I/O speed, I know the network rocks :-)

• HTMLHTML Member

@Sady if i am not wrong you are from Pakistan? can you pm me your online.net ip if you are from Pakistan i would like to test ping from PTCL and some 3G/4G networks i am interested to explore their services to see if they will work for my Pakistan traffic websites.

• FrecyboyFrecyboy Member
    edited July 2015

Maounique said: Some people say their network sucks, I guess die hard fans of OVH

I tried a ts3 server on my kidechire, which went fail because all people on it got packet loss nearly every weekend, else, can't complain. And I am not a big fan of OVH ;D

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Am I the only one wondering why you couldn't contain yourself for just on more month for a full year review?

• AmitzAmitz Member

@Nekki said:
    Am I the only one wondering why you couldn't contain yourself for just on more month for a full year review?

recenseo praecox?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Amitz said: recenseo praecox?

Sacre mang!

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • 4n0nx4n0nx Member

Maounique said: Some people say their network sucks, I guess die hard fans of OVH.

Hurr durr maybe you are just a die hard fan of online.net

I don't know why but I never get full speed from online.net to my home internet. :( Hetzner OVH etc work fine

edited July 2015

Well, OVH didnt give me a chance to test them directly, so, no comparison, of course online.net looks better.
    That is besides the tons of U-turns and broken trust OVH did, the seemingly invented or automated glitches used as excuses to terminate contracts, at least in the past, did not help their case.
    In the end, it might be that OVH has a better network, but online is good enough, better than most i tried, certainly better than even the the top 25% in US average and this is not because I am in Europe, I know how and can test it anywhere.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

@Maonique yes OVH still sux. It's just that I went to online.net so I could transfer files at >100 mbit/s and then was very disappointed to see only ~30 mbit/s

edited July 2015

OVH is present in many IX-es, online also seem to limit somehow per connection, or their network is setup that this effect is visible, but, you can saturate the connection with more connections, I suppose, I tried and worked up to 500 mbps with only 4 simultaneous transfers and the CPU was certainly not helping.