Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do I use my /64 IPv6?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do I use my /64 IPv6?

elgselgs Member
edited July 2015 in General

I got a /64 block of IPv6 addresses on my server, which is 2^64=18,446,744,073,709,551,616 addresses. I don't even know how to read it. I'm wondering what I can do with such a scary number of addresses? I literally need to be educated about the IPv6.

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

SOP for IPv6 is assign one to your device to use and talk about how many you have left over on social media. :)

• Is there a way to set my server to listen on all /64 addresses, but to use a random address as the outgoing ip?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@wwabbit If you like slow reboots and using a lot of RAM I'm sure you can.

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • sinsin Member

I usually just use an IPv6 for nginx as I do get some visitors that use it.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited July 2015

@KuJoe said:
    wwabbit If you like slow reboots and using a lot of RAM I'm sure you can.

Add this: 24/7 maxed out CPU core(s)

[Linking that many IP addresses to one server would cause CPU, RAM, and SSD/HDD suicide (assuming that the network connection isn't saturated yet).]

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2015

KuJoe said: @wwabbit If you like slow reboots and using a lot of RAM I'm sure you can.

It is not possible. I mean you can do it, but will not work.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

why would you even want to?

With a router you can forward the entire /64 to a single address.

• Hurricane Electric has some learning resources for IPv6. Take a look here - https://ipv6.he.net/presentations.php

Thanked by 3elgs gestiondbi wwabbit
  • gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

HE also have a training/certification program to learn some few things step by step: https://ipv6.he.net

Thanked by 1wwabbit
  • tomletomle Member, LIR

+1 on the HE certification program (you even get a t-shirt ;) )

Thanked by 1DianTama
  • Count them. Print them.

tomle said: (you even get a t-shirt ;) )

That as well. Have the full /64 printed in a t-shirt. Badass!

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited July 2015

Assign one to every item in your house, to prepare for when they are internet of things compatible.

EDIT: Tunnel a /56 to your house and use that!

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited July 2015

linuxthefish said: Assign one to every item in your house, to prepare for when they are internet of things compatible.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • @elgs said:
    I got a /64 block of IPv6 addresses on my server, which is 2^64=18,446,744,073,709,551,616 addresses. I don't even know how to read it. I'm wondering what I can do with such a scary number of addresses? I literally need to be educated about the IPv6.

Assign one to your VPS but try and figure out cool words you can create using 0-9 and a-f

• ChuckChuck Member

Is there a way to run multiple VPNs using /64 IPv6 on a VPS?

• elgselgs Member

@hostnoob said:
    Assign one to your VPS but try and figure out cool words you can create using 0-9 and a-f

One of them could be cafe:babe. :)

• elgselgs Member
    edited July 2015

I'm actually wondering technically why some people says subnet smaller than /64 is not really useful.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2015

elgs said: I'm actually wonderful technically why some people says subnet smaller than /64 is not really useful.

1) You are actually wonderful :3

2) Because SLAAC requires a /64 per LAN to work, and IPv6 without SLAAC is more cumbersome to set up and use e.g. for a VPN (you will need to statically assign everything, or set up DHCPv6).

Thanked by 2elgs Shot2
  • elgselgs Member

@rm_ said:

OMG, I mean wondering. :)