Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

no SSH connection possible - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

no SSH connection possible

2»

Comments

• People who overload OpenVZ Nodes are asking for trouble.

You have two options to make money. You buy the hardware up front or get favorable lease terms and you make a set profit per server you put up. You can make bigger or smaller ones, but keep in mind performance. Then to make your profit you have to scale. The second option which many deadpools probably engaged in was renting a server and paying more a month than the lease would of cost and making a pittance above the rental costs, which obviously requires much more scaling, but then your VM to support ratio is blown completely out of the water because you have to work in mass volume to profit.

WHT if full of posts in the VPS or Dedicated Server section of people thinking a baseline server with a single hard drive constituted a proper VPS business. It may work for awhile, but one dead server and a bunch of leaving customers and the downward spiral begins.

Thanked by 1Taz
  • @FRCorey said: WHT if full of posts in the VPS or Dedicated Server section of people thinking a baseline server with a single hard drive constituted a proper VPS business. It may work for awhile, but one dead server and a bunch of leaving customers and the downward spiral begins.

This.

How can you even think about offering PAID VPS hosting without bare minimum raid 1 ( If you can not afford additional HD.)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Actually, this is not the case with budgetVM. Their io is solid, stellar in places, it does not look like overloaded and it is not SSD with 80 GB for the 1024 plan.
    There is probably a "too many orders per minute" situation that blew out support and tech departments.
    Either way, at this time the machine is not usable for normal tasks, it is only a toy/vpn and an 128 plan should be enough for this. I do not intend to ask for money back, but I will cancel and change plan.
    M

• Same. Cancelled, but didn't ask for a refund.

• @Maounique said: Actually, this is not the case with budgetVM. Their io is solid, stellar in places, it does not look like overloaded and it is not SSD with 80 GB for the 1024 plan.

There is probably a "too many orders per minute" situation that blew out support and tech departments.
    Either way, at this time the machine is not usable for normal tasks, it is only a toy/vpn and an 128 plan should be enough for this. I do not intend to ask for money back, but I will cancel and change plan.
    M

Agree. Io and network is superb actually, except vps sometime offline problem.

• everyone loves uncle sal :)

@Randy said: everyone loves uncle sal

Jalous ? :P
    I was talking one of these days with him that he couldnt sleep because one node was not feeling well and when he was at the computer a DDoS was just starting... This requires a lot of work and dedication or a big team, I dont envy him, must be very hard especially since this is not his day job, he is making a lot of money as a consultant, this is just putting some unused resources to good use.
    Dont envy Uncle Sal, he works very hard for it.
    M

• SimpleNodeSimpleNode Member
    edited September 2012

@Taz_NightHawk

Well... there is a fairly popular VPS host around here who doesn't use any form of RAID or take backups. I've talked to their "technical lead" on skype, and apparently, it's not necessary because they're not responsible for their customer's data.

• @Maounique i am not, :) do you want me t o bite you @Maounique?

• RandyRandy Member
    edited September 2012

@SimpleNode said: Well... there is a fairly popular VPS host around here who doesn't use any form of RAID or take backups. I've talked to their "technical lead" on skype, and apparently, it's not necessary because they're not responsible for their customer's data.

Which?

• @gkz said: Uncle Salvatore / Prometeus

Well, the only point the kept me away from prometheus was the poor speeds on their US location.

@budingyun said: Io and network is superb actually, except vps sometime offline problem.

^This. Speeds are good, but uptime not.

• SimpleNodeSimpleNode Member
    edited September 2012

@Randy AstoundingHost. I used to run my (personal) minecraft server, and a SimpleNode backup webserver there, but I/O was terrible. It also feels... uneasy that yours (and another 50 or so client's) data is being stored on a single, non redundant drive. @dominicl knows more, he used to work there.

We now use @LV_Matt for our main webserver, and their servers are excellent. (also, matt, sorry for alex being so mad at you when we got DDOS'd. :) )

I can accept that host is not responsible for my data, after all, if i want backup i buy a plan with backup, but no raid... That would be for speed first and redundancy later, except on SSD which might work ok without raid.

@bubie said: Well, the only point the kept me away from prometheus was the poor speeds on their US location.

What are you talking about, Prometeus has no US location, you probably make a confusion here, they have the best network I saw to date, but it is all in Italy so far.
    M

• @Maounique said: @bubie said: Well, the only point the kept me away from prometheus was the poor speeds on their US location.

Do you mean the Italy speeds to US?

But it's nice to Indonesia :p

• But the lack of RAID also means downtime (how long depends on how long it takes for the DC to get new drives) when the disks fail.

@SimpleNode said: But the lack of RAID also means downtime (how long depends on how long it takes for the DC to get new drives) when the disks fail.

Let's face it, when you lose your data, a bit of downtime (no dc will change hw slower than 24 hours unless you have to ship your own which is silly IMO) doesnt matter much.
    M

• @Maounique

When I get bad disk io, I'm sad.
    When I also lose my data, I'm more sad.
    When I realise that I have to wait 8 hours for me to restore my data to bring my site online, I'm depressed.
    When my provider tells me that I have to wait while they have to reinstall and test SolusVM, OpenVZ etc, I get so depressed/angry that I punch a hole in my monitor.

RAID saves monitor's lives.

(If you have no idea what I'm saying, I don't too. I'm browsing LEB at 1AM and I honestly don't know what I'm writing)

Thanked by 1klikli
  • @Maounique said: Prometeus has no US location

sorry, I mixed up edis and prometheus.

Since prometheus doesn't have a US location, I can't use them

• @SimpleNode said: When my provider tells me that I have to wait while they have to reinstall and test SolusVM, OpenVZ etc, I get so depressed/angry that I punch a hole in my monitor.

so you dont do the work? :P

• @Randy No, this is referring to AstoundingHost / any host that doesn't use RAID, with me being the customer

I doubt they would not use raid with their own data. That is their responsibility :P They only need to install and configure the server, not solus or whmcs :P
    M