Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need VPS for DNS slave or possible backup server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need VPS for DNS slave or possible backup server

I am looking for a VPS to use as a secondary DNS server. Could someone give me a price for a 256MB and/or 512MB VPS? I would prefer something < $10/yr with a fast internet connection.

Comments

• $10 a year won't get you anything stable. Might want to grab a server that has SLA at least if you want to use it as a DNS server (even secondary). As for backup server, you wont get too much storage at that pricing.

My 2cents that can be ignored.

• XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep

Check our Plans : Here

• bersybersy Member

ramnode 128mb ram, 80gb disk for $13.5/yr

• htunhtun Member

Have you checked HostUs? Their $10/year deal may still be available.
    http://lowendbox.com/blog/hostus-10year-768mb-and-18quarter-6gb-ovz-in-three-us-locations/

Thanked by 1AlexanderM
  • Why do you want 256/512MB RAM? I'm having my DNS servers with BandwagonHost (recommended, stability is good for the price, check lowendstock.com), running MaraDNS and they're working fine with 14MB RAM Overall.

• jeromezajeromeza Member
    edited June 2015

@nexusrain - how does MaraDNS compare to PowerDNS?

I'm thinking I should try it, based on that light memory footprint of yours.

• erkinerkin Member

May I ask how many zones are loaded, @nexusrain ?

• @nexusrain The reason I am interested in 512MB of ram is because I was thinking of setting up a backup server in the future.

• NavynNavyn Member

Check our KVM plans HERE

• blazerunner44 said: I would prefer something < $10/yr with a fast internet connection.

Navyn said: Check our KVM plans HERE

Your cheapest OpenVZ VM costs 6,33 Euros per month. You seem to be missing the point.

• @jeromeza I'm sorry, can't tell you. Didn't ever use PowerDNS.

@erkin Ehh, 3? :p

@blazerunner44 Alright, but why does a server for backups need "so much" ram?

• @nexusrain said:
    jeromeza I'm sorry, can't tell you. Didn't ever use PowerDNS.

erkin Ehh, 3? :p

blazerunner44 Alright, but why does a server for backups need "so much" ram?

I agree on that as my backup server(vps) with ftpit that I still keep around for some reason when nipon and radi set it up(back when they owned ftpit) they gave it I believe 128mb of ram as why would something that is just being used as a backup nas or something to that nature need more ram than 128mb of ram?

• $10/yr should get you a fast cPanel DNS service ;)

• The one recommended by @htun is the cheapest you'll get with good uptime.

Thanked by 1htun
  • erkinerkin Member
    edited June 2015

+1 @hostus

Using their let special since last year as a backup server. No monitoring and I didn't notice any downtime or slowness.

Thanked by 1AlexanderM
  • XiNiX said: Check our Plans : Here

http://www.xinix.net/whmcs/cart.php?a=add&pid=206

Fatal error: Class 'WHMCS\WHMCS_Application' not found in /home/xinix/xinix.net/whmcs/includes/classes/WHMCS/License.php on line 32

May want to fix that.

• nexusrain said: Alright, but why does a server for backups need "so much" ram?

I meant as a complete running webserver backup, not just to back up files and a DB. How much RAM would you suggest for an apache webserver with a DB? Isn't 512MB about min for acceptable performance?

• 512MB should be acceptable, but as others have suggested your budget may be a bit unrealistic.

• @htun said:
    Have you checked HostUs? Their $10/year deal may still be available.
    http://lowendbox.com/blog/hostus-10year-768mb-and-18quarter-6gb-ovz-in-three-us-locations/

As @htun said i think hostus will be rocksolid i have one Box with them the performance & support is great it comes with 768 mb ram and 25G HDD and your
    $10/year price range i think you should go for it

Thanked by 2Traffic htun
  • blazerunner44 said: I meant as a complete running webserver backup, not just to back up files and a DB. How much RAM would you suggest for an apache webserver with a DB? Isn't 512MB about min for acceptable performance?

If you're going to replicate your webserver setup then you should know exactly how much memory is required by looking at your existing setup....

• jeromezajeromeza Member
    edited July 2015

Trying this as mentioned by @htun and others.

Will see how I go - going to try Cpanel DNS, MaraDNS and PowerDNS.

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited July 2015

jeromeza said: Will see how I go - going to try Cpanel DNS, MaraDNS and PowerDNS.

Great choice. You have gotten the best VPS for that price, and their uptime is excellent.

• @Traffic said:
    Great choice. You have gotten the best VPS for that price, and their uptime is excellent.

Thanks. I've read good things!

Any idea on how long deployment takes - paid with PayPal and it says "pending".

• @jeromeza said:
    Any idea on how long deployment takes - paid with PayPal and it says "pending".

I just checked my email and mine was provisioned instantly. That was about a year ago though.

• cassacassa Member

I heard @drserver likes DNS

Thanked by 1drserver
  • komputerkingkomputerking Member, Host Rep

RAM should not be a necessary requirement for backup, unless you are running a bunch of rsync commands from the server. Having RAM isn't terrible, but not all that important. Might just be that most hosting providers don't really provide hosting solutions these days at less than 512MB.

Were you able to find a solution for your needs, op?

• blazerunner44blazerunner44 Member
    edited July 2015

ftpit_cameron said: Were you able to find a solution for your needs, op?

I went with the HostUS $10/yr deal. So far, so good. It's a great price for the value and I haven't had any problems with it so far.

Thanked by 1AlexanderM
  • wychwych Member

Crissic or Ramnode?