Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linode 1,065% ... - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Linode 1,065% ...

Comments

• Rackspace Cloud performance is meh.

• @jcaleb @nanog6 You've only truly made it when you are a wiki! Forever solidified in time, that is until someone changes it.

• @serverbear I spoke to someone who works there as an admin.
    Not a real cloud like http://www.togglebox.com - just clusters of servers.

• @vpsnodebox said: to see real Cloud

look in the sky

• @miTgiB lol

Seriously do, I like how Togglebox has set up their cloud with OnApp. I recognize something good whe I see it.

• @vpsnodebox said: I recognize something good whe I see it.

I contacted them for some benchmarks, we'll see.

• flyfly Member

<3 linode

rackspace die in a fire.

• PhoenixVPSPhoenixVPS Member
    edited August 2012

@serverbear Thanks, I was pretty tempted to sign up just to run Unixbench from serverbear.com and submit a bench, lol.

• so if not linode or rackspace, then who would you recommend for "cloud hosting", or atleast decent scalable hosting?

• Best cloud performance I've seen so far is Storm on Demand or Joyent.

Thanked by 1shaanl
  • @BigScoots said: @jcaleb @nanog6 You've only truly made it when you are a wiki! Forever solidified in time, that is until someone changes it.

make your own wiki then :) :)

• @shaanl Linode is so far from what Cloud Hosting is/should be that it's not even funny.

• @vpsnodebox said: @shaanl Linode is so far from what Cloud Hosting is/should be that it's not even funny.

Maybe this is exactly why it works so well ;-)

Thanked by 2dmmcintyre3 Chan
  • @rds100 I don't have a problem with any company using the term (even we use it), just because Rackspace started this trend first and put everyone in a position to make it basically part of their marketing vocabulary. That being said, don't confuse real cloud hosting like Liquid Web's Storm on Demand or that running on OnApp. What Linode has is what 99% of us have: clusters of Xen nodes :)

• @vpsnodebox said: What Linode has is what 99% of us have: clusters of Xen nodes

Yes, and it seems to work well :)

Btw, do you consider vps.net to be "true" cloud by your definition? Because their service seems to be less reliable than many OpenVZ providers :)

Thanked by 2miTgiB Chan
  • @rds100 It says at the bottom of their page in the right corner "powered by OnApp", so it's a real cloud alright. Why it's unreliable? Well misconfiguration, bad hardware and maybe some over-provisioning come to mind. It's all speculation of course, as I have zero experience with them. If I had at least worked with one VPS of theirs I would be able to tell you a bit more.

• flyfly Member

linode linode linode linode linode linode linode linode linode linode linode linode linode linode linode linode linode linode

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Linode is for two classes of people:
    1) those who don't know about LEB/LET
    2) those who spend someone else's money (e.g. their company/boss)
    other than these there's no reason to use Linode, from what I hear their reliability and performance are pretty average, something you would not expect to see at such price.

• @rm_ There are so many better options than Linode for businesses. To me Linode always looked like a place for developers to test their web sites, applications and so on, yet not a place where to do your business hosting.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2012

I think people forget just how useful the Linode control panel really is. Sure it's not for everyone, but they're the only ones I'm aware of offering such easy to setup load balancing at such low cost. Correct me if I'm wrong, but everyone else I've seen offering that is charging unreal prices. Sure I don't need Linode to do it, but I'm also not other people. The ability to pick your kernel without the knowledge of how to do so in the terminal is also quite interesting.

• @vpsnodebox said: so it's a real cloud alright

I don't think its made out of water vapour.

Thanked by 2jar tux
  • @MrLabradoodle it's more like vaporware :))

• @jarland true ...and... true

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@Jarland
    Not sure about linode, however at rackspace it is extremely easy to set up an LB

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

And boy do they charge ;)

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@jarland said: And boy do they charge ;)

Well, if I understand correctly how linode lb works, rackspace is like 10$ more. If you do not pay for an LB at linode (basically just server charges). And at the end, rackspace is far more "cloud-based" than linode.

• bdtechbdtech Member
    edited August 2012

I guess the good thing about running on Linode is your fellow neighbors on your node/rack will most likely be business type or startup customers. The monthly price tag is deterrent enough to keep the trouble makers away.

Also, it appears they pro-rate by the day so you could benchmark a box for 0.65/day or spin it up on days you need it. The most important factor is which providers you can trust with your data/keys etc.

• @bdtech wrong, they prorate by the middle of the month, just like us. While we prorate by the day, we charge either ~half a month on your first bill or ~a month and a half. So if you sign up on the 14th for a $9.95 plan with us for instance you will pay only $5.31 on your first bill, and then $9.95 on the first of each month, but if your sign up on the 16th then you will pay $15.26 but your next bill is due in about 2 months on the 1st for $9.95. Linode does it the same way. If you want to spin up instances and pay hourly then go to http://www.zerigo.com and do it. Don't expect the moon do from them, since these days they are beyond mediocre.

• @vpsnodebox wrong? What are you talking about. They advertise their daily rate

If you remove services from your account, you will be issued a prorated service credit for the time left in the current billing period. This credit may be used to purchase additional Linode services in the future. Service credit is always used before charging the credit card on file for ongoing service.

http://library.linode.com/billing-and-payments

• @bdtech OK, so their billing revolves around the 20th of the month for the first month, ours around the 15th. We could change that. The goal was to get customers aligned to pay on the 1st of each month, it's much easier to do billing that way.

If you want to find out for sure, just sign up for an account with Linode. Give them your credit card number and you're all set :)