Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linode 1,065% ...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Linode 1,065% ...

bdtechbdtech Member
edited August 2012 in General

They are a bit pricey but these guys are tearing it up....

2011 Revenue:$22.3 million
2010 Revenue:$10.75 million
2008 Revenue:$1.9 million

How does their network and nodes compare to LEBs?
http://www.inc.com/inc5000/profile/linode

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Linode provides a great service, they really do. For one, the control panel. The simple kernel selection, etc. The other thing, and the really big one, is consistency in performance and reliability. That is something I'd say they have down to a science.

I can't justify using them because their prices don't justify those two points for me. I'm sure it does to someone though. Safe to say I respect what they do, and that profit...that's beautiful for this market.

• KishKish Member

Prices seem fair as to the service they provide, their system and custom scripts available to it's end user is just amazing and worth extra price. I believe they are aimed at complex but cheaper configs then multiple servers with load balancing options etc

• @Jack said: I think BuyVM would win against Linode...

BuyVM and Linode compete in different markets.

• Their UK servers are using like 2007 Xeons.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@MrLabradoodle said: Their UK servers are using like 2007 Xeons.

Man, I only have two in my nodes.

Thanked by 3Damian Gary ihatetonyy
  • @jarland said: Man, I only have two in my nodes.

Ahahaha, that's awesome! Best response ever!

Thanked by 2jar ihatetonyy
  • I have a Linode VPS, makes up part of my nginx cluster.

They aren't as spectacular as their fans make them out to be, I get better performance out of my £4.50 bhost Xen box than I do Linode. Their control is good though, wipes the floor with SolusVM.

• @Jack said: Remember back in March when LET/LEB was on there? Got a little DDoS and got nulled for 24 hours...

This. I know a few people who use Linode, and even a token attempt at a DOS from a disgruntled former end user (text-based game server) got them nullrouted. There were also some hardware issues or something that took them out for about a day. I don't see where the service is worth what they charge for it.

• I see Linode Google AdWords banners everyowhere, and I know how much those cost. Plus they also have AdWords text ads. Their control panel might be sort of cool but it's nothing spectacular, and their servers are cca. 2007 Xeons @ 2.0GHz. There are plenty of providers around here who offer better hardware, better performance, better value and just as good if not better reliability.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited August 2012

The other day they paid hijacked Twitter accounts to spam Linode ads.

• I've moved from Slicehost to Linode after the RackSpace aquisition and Linode has been great - very stable (for an undemanding workload). BUT, when spinning up a handful of linodes each week in NJ for temporary use, get a "host was rebooted" message pretty much without fail on a weekly basis

• Linode has seen its peak, and now it will be on a downward spiral. Their downfall will be SoftLayer and outdated hardware, plus the hosting market has seen a surge in higher quality and better providers. Rackspace is a different matter, they make allot of money from their business clients, but they are Fortune 500 oxygen suckers that are used to charge an arm and a leg for about anything.

• BigScootsBigScoots Member
    edited August 2012

SingleHop = %7000 growth, they be the big boys these days in terms of rapid growth. Linode is a totally different market then BuyVM though, I doubt they hardly if ever touch each others clients.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@BigScoots said: Linode is a totally different market then BuyVM though, I doubt they hardly if ever touch each others clients.

Our KVM's sniff around their market though that wasn't the intention. We get more than a few of their Fremont clients come by wanting a KVM.

Francisco

• u4iau4ia Member

@vpsnodebox said: outdated hardware

This. My current production VPS is a Linode, and it does seem really sluggish lately, especially compared to newer hardware such as BuyVM's Buffalo nodes.

• @u4ia crazy fast growth can only be sustained for so long until somethings gotta slip. Looking at the numbers from OPs post, its pretty hard to imagine -- not just the % growth, but the actual size. There is an exponential increase I'd imagine at some point where the complexity prevents a lot of what an old customer would be used to.

Increasing from 10 customers to 100 is the same growth as 100,000 to 1,000,000, but one you have to buy an additional dedicated server, the other you've got to buy another data center :S

Thanked by 1u4ia
  • when you work for company, its easier to tell your boss to buy from linode than leb host

Thanked by 2u4ia SDH_TREXTOR
  • u4iau4ia Member

True. Seen this in the past with other companies as well.

• u4iau4ia Member

@jcaleb said: , its easier to tell your boss to buy from linode than leb host

This is also true. I have 2 Linodes I manage at work too.

• @BigScoots @jcaleb @u4ia

There is nothing cool about Linode. Personally I don't even like the fact that they make you run one of their pre-compiled kernels. If a little insignificant web host like us can offer our customers on Xen PV the freedom to run whatever kernel they want to on their VPS, Linode should be capanble of this as well.

If I would have a Boss and we needed corporate grade hosting and money wasn't a concern I would probably recommend either Rackspace or I would recommend leasing a couple of high end servers in a data center.

What goes up, must come down. Linode can't afford to upgrade their infrastructure, and SoftLayer won't play nice. In the long run they're screwed.

• @vpsnodebox said: If I would have a Boss and we needed corporate grade hosting and money wasn't a concern I would probably recommend either Rackspace or I would recommend leasing a couple of high end servers in a data center.

I agree. What I meant in general is its better to recommend known and more expensive providers. I just use LEB when its my own money that is involved =)

Thanked by 1Xeoncross
  • u4iau4ia Member

Perception != Reality
    I have learned this, but not everyone can be convinced.

• what about 6sync though (on the topic of custom CPs)? I remember being in live chat with someone named Mario and the guy was a complete/total dick to me (that was well over a year ago though)

biscuit looks really nice

• @winston heh, there is a reason why Linode has no life chat. They still have their gauntlets of minions on IRC, forums, Ubuntu forums and so on that recommend them and spread the word. Then some of them also make sure to ask you to use their referral link. Here is the thing: I couldn't care less if they fall one day: more for the rest of us... However I think that Rackspace will be right there to buy them just for their customer base.

• @vpsnodebox rackspace will rule the world one day if they aren't already. Its only a matter of time.

• @BigScoots they are the Billion Dollar Hosting Company. Look it up on Wikipedia... money rules my friend :)

• @vpsnodebox we are the multi-thousand dollar hosting company!!! Look us up on wikipedia!

• i cant find big scoots on wikipedia

• @BigScoots said: we are the multi-thousand dollar hosting company!!! Look us up on wikipedia!

@jcaleb said: i cant find big scoots on wikipedia

haha.. soon my friend, soon :P

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • I know that the words "Cloud Hosting" are thrown around carelessly these days, but Linode is pushing it when they call themselves a Cloud Hosting Company. Nothing could be further from the truth. They are a Cluster Hosting Company.

If you want to see real Cloud Hosting, take a look at http://www.togglebox.com for example.