Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low end vps with 10gbps shared network port
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Low end vps with 10gbps shared network port

ajonesajones Banned
edited August 2012 in General

So, I was browsing around and I found a low end vps.
RAM: 128MB
BURST: 640MB
HDD: 75GB RAID10
NETWORK: 10TB @ 10GBPS SHARED

It costs a pretty penny though if you get what I mean. It costs $34 a month since it has 10gbps shared port.

Is it worth the $?

Comments

• Could you actually get close to utilizing the claimed 10Gbps -- or even 1-2Gbps?

Also, it seems like the main use for that would be some form of file hosting, given the high storage-low RAM combo.

• Depends how much data you need to push.

• I am just planing on using it for web server, streaming live audio and video 24 / 7.

• How many CPUs or CPU cores are available?

• @ajones said: I am just planing on using it for web server, streaming live audio and video 24 / 7.

Do you think you'll need that 10Gbps? And will the server you're using max out RAM before you hit the port speed, or will you hit the BW cap easily?

May be better to spread the $34 over multiple 1Gbps/100Mbps providers if you don't need that much speed.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@ajones said: I am just planing on using it for web server, streaming live audio and video 24 / 7.

Live streaming may be a bit heavy on RAM, depending on what software you use.

• CPU: 2x Intel Quad Core Xeon L5630

• I might use it like people have cloudflare to protect websites, set up a protection system like it that can handle huge dos/ddos attacks.

• www.buyvm.net with a DDoS filtered IP

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@ajones said: I might use it like people have cloudflare to protect websites, set up a protection system like it that can handle huge dos/ddos attacks.

You'll probably want to make sure that your host will not kick you out when you get hit with DDoS. Port speed alone won't save you from that if the provider doesn't like DDoS.

• @joepie91 said: You'll probably want to make sure that your host will not kick you out when you get hit with DDoS. Port speed alone won't save you from that if the provider doesn't like DDoS.

Well, I have plans for the server, just want to know if it is worth the $

• be careful they don't mean it's a 10gbit switch..

• @Jack said: FYI that's not Lowend.

The specs are low end, the price is pretty high since its 10gbps

• I don't care if it ever reaches 10gbps, but I want to know if it is worth it.

• why would you pay for something you aren't getting..?

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • @ajones said: NETWORK: 10TB @ 10GBPS SHARED

For a 10TB, there is SemoWeb, but for unmetered, there would be Catalystvps.
    Another one is Fanaticalvps and redinit.
    Sometime ago, there is CloudLix in Lithuania

• I will give someone $2.12 if they max out a 10GB port on a 128mb VPS for more than 10 seconds. It sounds like a DDoS paradise island to me.

• OVH is not bad. I used to have 16gb ram server with them till I just sold it for $50.00

• earlearl Member

@Jack said: I could only get ~2gbit out of it when I got a 24 hour trial with one.

10GbE nics looks pretty expensive maybe it just a 2 gb fibre card..

• [root@4sale ~]# wget http://213.163.76.200/10000mb.bin
    --01:00:24-- http://213.163.76.200/10000mb.bin
    Connecting to 213.163.76.200:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 10485760000 (9.8G) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: `10000mb.bin'

100%[====================================>] 10,485,760,000 105M/s in 92s

01:01:56 (109 MB/s) - `10000mb.bin' saved [10485760000/10485760000]

Not too bad.

• Eww hosthatch

• @Jack said: You paid for 10gbit and only getting a gbit?

Prob limited to stop DDoS.

• Contacted provider. They will offer me a refund when ever I want due to "speed issue"

• Also, I don't use hosthatch. :)