Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is lowendtalk.com itself hosted in a low end box?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is lowendtalk.com itself hosted in a low end box?

elgselgs Member
edited July 2015 in General

I'm wondering whether a low end box we talk about here everyday is capably of hosting a website like this.

Comments

• cociucociu Member

whay not ?

• Well, lowendspirit forums is hosted on a 64mb VPS.

but, i doubt it.. It's probably on an E3, with a /16 assigned to it etc. Remember, this is Colocrossing we are talking about..

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

It used to be when it was at its peak and it managed really well, these days (for literally no good reason) it takes up a cluster of servers, which is bonkers and it runs worse.

Why you say?

Because apples.

• blackblack Member

I think LE(B/T) is hosted on a cluster of dedicated servers.

Thanked by 2Droid 4n0nx
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

black said: I think LE(B/T) is hosted on a cluster of dedicated servers.

yep

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • Considering the interests of the LE(B|T) community, it would be cool to host the sites on some LEBs.

However, there's always a ton of drama which often attracts some trigger-happy DDOS folks.

• ben78ben78 Member

... and quite some load to handle. Even if they wanted to host on a virtual machine iut couldn't be that low end...

• ben78 said: ... and quite some load to handle. Even if they wanted to host on a virtual machine iut couldn't be that low end...

it previously worked fine on 64MB but not many where happy when Chief sold out to cc

• FritzFritz Veteran

I doubt LET is hosted on 64MB box.

• On Raspberry pi clusters?

• @BeardyUnixGuy said:
    Considering the interests of the LE(B|T) community, it would be cool to host the sites on some LEBs.

owners dont give two shits about community interests

• Not like CC is able to manage anything - So they just have some dedis running LEB/LET instead of optimizing it.

Thanked by 24n0nx k0nsl
  • lol

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • wychwych Member

@SysAdmin said:
    lol

What is it hosted on these days?

• It runs on a cluster of 3 E3-1240 servers, of which it's load balanced between all three, plus two firewalls in an active / failover configuration.

We can survive a failure of 2 application servers and one firewall before the site is down for any significant period of time.

As far as it "running worse", I guess I'd have to know what people are talking about as it seems rather fast to me. There was a problem with email however that didn't have anything to do with the cluster.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • tr1ckytr1cky Member

SysAdmin said: It runs on a cluster of 3 E3-1240 servers, of which it's load balanced between all three, plus two firewalls in an active / failover configuration.

The site could be hosted on 2 7$ servers and would be as fast as it is now.
    One would also like know which firewall, as CloudFlare is in front and you can't filter IPs on a network-level then.

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited July 2015

SysAdmin said: We can survive a failure of 2 application servers and one firewall before the site is down for any significant period of time.

I have to give it you, I rarely see any downtime or problems from the LET website. /s

• Thanks for the comment regarding the servers, I will certainly keep that in mind going forward and consider moving the site to two $7.00 VPSs.

Thanked by 1BensDaMan
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

SysAdmin said: It runs on a cluster of 3 E3-1240 servers, of which it's load balanced between all three, plus two firewalls in an active / failover configuration.

So in this config where is the database?

• On the application servers in their own respective containers.

• @tr1cky said:
    One would also like know which firewall, as CloudFlare is in front and you can't filter IPs on a network-level then.

If it's a nextgen firewall (That's what the vendors call them, not my term) it will be L7 aware and able to inspect any http traffic going towards the site, So it will depend if cloudflare passes the origin ip in the headers which I think they may do.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

SysAdmin said: On the application servers in their own respective containers.

Servers...so are you using MySQL replication to keep each server in sync? Just curious.

• raindog308 said: so are you using MySQL replication to keep each server in sync

I guess it's the way they are doing.

• It's MariaDB with Galera.

• SysAdmin said: It's MariaDB with Galera.

Awesome.

• @sdglhm said:
    Awesome.

The people at MariaDB are doing great things, the product is a lot better then MySQL under the stewardship of Oracle.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

SysAdmin said: The people at MariaDB are doing great things, the product is a lot better then MySQL under the stewardship of Oracle.

In terms of performance it's not really better than other master-master replications, but it's definitely the easiest one to configure and has just little flaws.

• What flaws have you uncovered? I've been using it quite a bit for our internal infrastructure and have found it to be quite stable.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

SysAdmin said: What flaws have you uncovered? I've been using it quite a bit for our internal infrastructure and have found it to be quite stable.

There's stuff that doesn't work, e.g. delayed insert queries that can be usefull for caching. I had some applications where you had to find a workaround for this stuff.
    I also saw some complex databases lock up from time to time, causing some minutes of downtime.
    For my usage, mariadb-galera isn't worth the slowdowns it causes in the setup I run. On a large xenforo site I run I had a galera-cluster running for some weeks and I noticed that the overall performance was worse.
    For vanilla with only a few to no addons this surely can work very well, but if you're using ~25 addons and run some very db-heavy stuff like a very active shoutbox you will see the performance go downhill.

• Are you splitting your read / write queries?