Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Possible to convert XEN VM's to KVM VMs?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Possible to convert XEN VM's to KVM VMs?

Thinking of migrating some XEN VM's over to KVM -- are there any working scripts or methods available?

Thanks!

Comments

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2015

If it is hvm you should be able to just take the disk and boot it under KVM without any migration.

Thanked by 1ItsChrisG
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2015

I don't know of any direct way to convert them but here's a method I've done in the past when I had a Xen VPS with a provider and wanted to convert it to KVM on my personal Proxmox server many years ago (assuming you have a spare server laying around you can install ESXi on or you can rent one temporarily):

Xen -> VMware ESXi (VMware Converter)

VMware ESXi -> KVM (http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/How_To_Migrate_From_Vmware_To_KVM NOTE: This isn't the guide I used years ago but it's from KVM's website so it's probably the best method)

It's not ideal but it's an option if you can't find any other method and you really need to get them converted over.

Thanked by 2ItsChrisG 4n0nx
  • Thanks @KuJoe - gonna use your method

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

@ItsChrisG so it's paravirtualized Xen?

• @perennate said:
    ItsChrisG so it's paravirtualized Xen?

Yeah, they are PV Xen's :(

• Xen PV to KVM is easier than OpenVZ to KVM.
    I had to have my provider help me do it, and give it a kernel, etc.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

copy disk image, update kvm config file with location of disk image, done.

:-)

depending on your pv setup you might needto use sysrecue on first boot in kvm to install grub etc.