Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nginx 1.0.8 on dotdeb - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Nginx 1.0.8 on dotdeb

2»

Comments

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited November 2011

I have been using MySQL 5.5 in my nginx+php-fpm+mysql autoinstaller scripts for months.

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited November 2011

@dmmcintyre3 I'm going to be polite and just ask for the link to this script please. I'm not going to give you the answer I want to give right now.

How many months have i been cough expressing my annoyance with the current state of the lowendscript?

edit: Thanks though as I hope that's an offer.

edited November 2011
    Thanked by 1drmike
  • cleonardcleonard Member
    edited November 2011

The lowendscript is a good starting point, but it's possible to do a lot better. Some seem to have an aversion to compiling from sources, but it is really the best way. Sure it takes more effort than apt-get or yum, but you can configure it your way. I was trying to get a 128MB setup and I really wanted to be able to run more than just a single php-fpm process. After compiling with only the things I needed I cut the php footprint by half.

The down side is that it becomes a bit more difficult to script as there are a lot of packages that need adding to be able to compile.

Now on a 256MB server it would not be so critical and on a 512 I might even run apache, but on the smaller boxes every MB counts.

edited November 2011

@cleonard said: I was trying to get a 128MB setup and I really wanted to be able to run more than just a single php-fpm process.

I had no issues with my CentOS 5 script on my 128mb KVM with 2-3 php processes, APC and decent MySQL caching limits and a lot of extra stuff like ZNC, UnrealIRCd, NSD, OpenVPN or pptpd and exim.

• Perhaps I just needed a bit more headroom. I was also using Debian 6 32 bit, but I don't how that compares exactly to CentOS. I do need a bit more extra space. Using the OS packages I was able to run 2 php-fpm children. After some load testing it was idling at about 110 to 120 MB allocated. I have some rather heavy duty process that I was planning on running which can max out at 50MB. I wanted to try and keep below the limit so I went and compiled my own. It hovers around 75MB with just nginx and php recomplied with just what I need.

• I would sit around 40-55mb ram used, but that is on a KVM VPS not OpenVZ with crappy allocation based memory limits.

• Yes, I did mine on an OpenVZ where the virtual allocation is counted. I didn't realize it at first and I had a hard time understanding it at first. I just got done putting the same stack on a 128MB KVM and the numbers are more like I was expecting from my experience on non virtualized systems. Guess I just learned one reason why OpenVZ is usually less expensive for what seems like the same specs.

• KeithKeith Member
    edited November 2011

@drmike Late reply due to time zone difference (I'm in the UK).

Found this with Google

I use my version of lowendscript for Squeeze only at https://github.com/Keith2/lowendscript

Now updated to work with MySql 5.5

• sigh

@Keith It doesn't help having this hosting on a site that really doesn't allow contributions and fixes from members....

I'm cold, it's 28 degrees here and i'm late as usually. someone please find that thread nwhere we (i) was complaining about problems with the script and point @Keith to it. tyanks

• @drmike said: @Keith It doesn't help having this hosting on a site that really doesn't allow contributions and fixes from members...

What's the best software package for Squeeze which will set up a site to do this on a leb?

• @Keith, I'm talking about Gethub. I would love to contribute fixes to Xeoncross' script but their site doesn't allow it. Everything goes to the original and it appears that LEA is no longer working on it.

May want to review the thread as I mention it further up.

• @drmike Creating a new empty repository on Github then adding the script file should enable contributions of fixes.

Trying it ouit with my version of lowendscript, now at https://github.com/Keith2/lowendscript-ng

• Actually it doesn't. I've tried to contribute to Xenoscript's code but it all winds up on LEA's top version and Xeonscript never gets word of it.

I swear I'm going to throw it up on sourceforge after a bit.

• TigersWayTigersWay Member
    edited November 2011

@drmike There is plenty of different versions of LEA script: some better technically, some better organized, some worse :-) (https://github.com/TigersWay/VPS)

Take your pic and start yours!

• sigh

Which is the problem. @TigersWay you just stated all of the issues with what's happening with this script.

I mean no disrespect but is anyone understanding what I'm saying here?

• We as end users can't do anything on github. We can't offer fixes or point out issues as it all goes to LEA and not to the folks actually working on the script. Or even log issues with the scripts that are having the issues.

• Forking is bad because it just spreads around the script and makes point one even worse. Spreading it around even more is bad because some of the versions have problems that others don't.

• There's no tracking at all.

• @danielfeng Oh lookie. Another Daniel.

Have to admit that I looked at Arch this afternoon and I wasn't too impressed with their docs. I looked up a problem at random in their forums and the wiki's answer was "Fix it" with no explanation as to how to do it.

• @drmike said: We as end users can't do anything on github. We can't offer fixes or point out issues as it all goes to LEA and not to the folks actually working on the script. Or even log issues with the scripts that are having the issues.

Well, maybe that's just because no "forker" decided to implement the available issue tracker.

@drmike said: Forking is bad because it just spreads around the script and makes point one even worse. Spreading it around even more is bad because some of the versions have problems that others don't.

Having kids make parents worse? :-)

The only question is to find an interesting AND active repo (forked or not) and participate with this one.

• How about using the low end wiki? Seems like the place for something like this.

• Any chance you'll release any of your modifications to the lowendscript soon @drmike?

• I had the same error for mysql 5.5. It wasted my time! At last I found that these two lines can remove the errors if you install mysql 5.5 in a fresh box:
    skip-innodb
    default-storage-engine=MyISAM
    if you upgrade from old 5.1, you have to comment our the line about "lc-messages-dir" in your my.cnf file.

PS:thank for you guys. Excellent lowend script!

Thanked by 1manma
  • drmikedrmike Member
    edited December 2011

@manma I woud love to but I can't push out to github as I don't use git. That's why I think we should put the script somewhere where we can all access and help out with it instead of just LEA. (No offense @LowEndAdmin)

It's nice that some of us are using cutting edge but that just leaves the rest of us out in the cold. Heck, we couldn't even pull it off of github without extra commands for wget.

@feelapi you have to make a change to those two lines. I don;t have it handy though. I thought we had talked about it though.

• TigersWayTigersWay Member
    edited December 2011

@drmike said: I woud love to but I can't push out to github as I don't use git. That's why I think we should put the script somewhere where we can all access and help out with it instead of just LEA

And how would you imagine that? :-)

• Git seems pretty good for me to do that. I would prefer bitbucket over github because of latency, but we even could setup our own git server.
    • We would still need "dev leader(s)" to organize all that. Which I believe is going to be interesting as we obviously have quite different ideas to organize those scripts.

Have done this for years, and I'd really be curious the hear your thoughts, you @drmike but any of you too!

• Is it really that easy @feelapi? I spent the entire day looking through each commit of each fork trying to find the best possible version ;_;

@drmike I agree Github is a bit problematic for something like this. Can the script something was forked from get notifications of changes?

Thanked by 1feelapi
  • @manma,yes, it works in my local virtualbox testing envirment(debian 6.0 32-bits). Here is my clone of lowend script which fixed this issues.
    http://vpscode.googlecode.com/files/debian6.sh
    In this script, I add those two lines into my.cnf when installing mysql 5.5.Also It supports to add static website,iptable rules(I just open 80,443,53, ssh port,and ban all others).
    I found that mysqld is not running. then I used 'mysqld --skip-grant &'. This command told me that my.cnf had something wrong.

PS:I like hg ^_^