Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Changed DNS - can it be faster?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Changed DNS - can it be faster?

JoeBissJoeBiss Member

Hello.

I switched hosting accounting (shared) and I changed my DNS to the new hosting. But some people are still seeing the old website. Is there anything I could do to make the switch faster?

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• wychwych Member

Lower the TTL before you switched.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

You may still be left waiting because of TTL on NS records with registry (usually 86400s or higher) though.

• @Clouvider is correct.

If you want a smooth transition you can first configure the new nameservers, setting the old IP in 'A' records and a low TTL. Then change nameservers at the registrar and wait a day. Then, to bring the site up on the new service, edit the 'A' records.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • In some cases when you using most stable dns servers will be reducing loading and caching.

@ConstantVPS how does it responds to OP's question?

@sleddog gave an excellent solution to fast migrations. Definitely agree. :)

• SadySady Member

@sleddog said:
    Clouvider is correct.

If you want a smooth transition you can first configure the new nameservers, setting the old IP in 'A' records and a low TTL. Then change nameservers at the registrar and wait a day. Then, to bring the site up on the new service, edit the 'A' records.

Helps, but what TTL value would you recommend?

60s for example. But change it to something normal when you finish the whole process, otherwise t will slow down losing. Speeds as DNS will not be cached.