Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nginx 1.0.8 on dotdeb
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Nginx 1.0.8 on dotdeb

drmikedrmike Member
edited October 2011 in General

Just a quick mention that Nginx 1.0.8 got released on dotdeb if that's one of your sources:

http://www.dotdeb.org/2011/10/20/packages-of-nginx-1-0-8-are-available/

Just came down for me.

Comments

• Nginx got official repo for Debian 6 ;) Why would you use DotDeb instead?

• NickMNickM Member
    edited October 2011

The packages in Debian 6 are way out of date. See?

• Ancient, using nginx 1.1.6 myself :)

• Compiling ftw

• gianggiang Veteran
    edited October 2011

NickM said: The packages in Debian 6 are way out of date. See?

You may misunderstand my post. I meant NGINX's repo for Debian 6, not Debian's repo.

It will always up to date by Nginx team ;)

Thanked by 1Xeoncross
  • 
    Changes with nginx 1.0.8                                         01 Oct 2011

*) Bugfix: nginx could not be built --with-http_mp4_module and without
           --with-debug option.

Not an important release :).

I always run the dev versions!

• NickMNickM Member
    edited October 2011

giang said: You may misunderstand my post. I meant NGINX's repo for Debian 6, not Debian's repo.

I totally missed that, actually. Still prefer dotdeb since it has a php5-fpm package though.

• I built nginx & php5-fpm from source..no deb :) only build module that my apps required :)

• marrcomarrco Member
    edited October 2011

you can have this (and other updated packages like tmux or nsd) directly from debian backports:

add this to your /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports main contrib non-free

and then
    apt-get -t squeeze-backports install nginx

it will then automatically update via standard apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited October 2011

cough

"Why thank you, drmike, for letting us know about an important update. Thanks for making sure we were aware of it. All hail the wise and wonderful drmike."

:)

edit: Actually I'm using dotdeb because I was using Debian 5 previously and never changed over when I upgrade to 6. Oops.

What should my sources.list file look like?

• What the heck is "non-free software" anyway? I gather some one didn't have proofs in high school and/or college. "Non-free is non-free software" My math teacher must be rolling over in his grave....

I got half way down and went "Huh?" All those explanations run off the right side and are unreadable in FF. I took some guesses and got back what I already had for a sources.list file.

thanks though.

• I love dotdeb :) Use it on all my Deb web boxes, no problem, works great, latest versions of nginx, php-fpm & mysql.

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited October 2011

@sleddog Um, I think the whole point of this is that dotdeb doesn't have the latest version of nginx.

Or am I missing something here?

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited October 2011

dotdeb has the latest stable version of nginx. if you want the development version for some reason you'll have to look elsewhere.

I have no desire to explore the development version, especially for production servers, so dotdeb works fine for me.

See http://nginx.org/

• tuxtux Member

drmike said: What the heck is "non-free software" anyway? I gather some one didn't have proofs in high school and/or college. "Non-free is non-free software" My math teacher must be rolling over in his grave....

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html

Thanked by 1drmike
  • drmike said: What the heck is "non-free software" anyway?

Don't ask me why, but you need "non-free" if you want to install libapache2-mod-fastcgi!

• You are the man, I love that site

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited October 2011

I'm curious and I've always wondered about this. I know in many GPL and other open source licenses, there's a clause prohibiting any restriction of use of the software. But yet I see some GPL'ed software go ahead and do this, even though their license states that it's a nono.

Is there anything that can be done about this? I know that when I asked the EFF about this, I got back a very unclear answer stating that the developer can do whatever they please as long as those under him or her followed the rules in the GPL.

edit: Thanks for the policy link by the way.

• Just to mention, looks like mysql5.5 got released on dotdeb to a few issues. There's a thread here:

http://www.dotdeb.org/2011/11/01/mysql-5-5-is-finally-here/

I screwed something up on my box. Have to look at it tomorrow.

• @drmike said: Just to mention, looks like mysql5.5 got released on dotdeb to a few issues. There's a thread here:

http://www.dotdeb.org/2011/11/01/mysql-5-5-is-finally-here/

I screwed something up on my box. Have to look at it tomorrow.

That's no fun but no worries man. I set mine up last night was running great. Tried to ssh in today got nothing. Webmin everything was down. No choice but to reinstall good thing nothing was on it.

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited November 2011

Yup, mysql 5.5 is failing for me on both vpses. :(

edit: Looks like this may be the issue:

Nov 11 16:11:33 vps mysqld_safe[9645]: ERROR: 1064 You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'ALTER TABLE user ADD column Show_view_priv enum('N','Y') CHARACTER SET utf8 NOT ' at line 1
  • And you don't have an error? :P

• @drmike said: Yup, mysql 5.5 is failing for me on both vpses. :(

You must run mysql_upgrade.

• Sure., I get an error. FAILED. That's my error. For both starting as well as the upgrade @tux mentions. mysql logs are empty. Lots of fun. :)

• Each time I saw other distro users struggling looking for latest packages or compiling everything from scratch by themselves, I felt so lucky that I am using Arch.

Arch official repos already beat EPEL, dotdeb, etc. AUR even kills them. Peace.

Come on people, try Arch. Seriously.

• KeithKeith Member
    edited November 2011

skip_innodb causes mysql 5.5 to fail. with Squeeze

I've replaced skip_innodb with

ignore_builtin_innodb

default_storage_engine=MyISAM

Thanked by 1drmike
  • drmikedrmike Member
    edited November 2011

Gone to try. @Keith, where did you find that? Been looking most of the afternoon and blowing off my real work. And where specifically are you replacing that please?

edit: I found the lines. They're in /etc/mysql/conf.d/lowendbox.cnf

reedit: No dice. Still the red failed message and nothing in the logs.

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited November 2011

I reinstalled the vps yet again, made the changes to lowendscript that @Keith mentioned up there right from the start and things seems to installed fine. At least mysql is up and running,

thanks again

edit: Of course it doesn't help that lowendscript is still broken and on a repository that doesn't allow folks to submit fixes.

• @Keith said: skip_innodb causes mysql 5.5 to fail. with Squeeze

I've replaced skip_innodb with

ignore_builtin_innodb
    default_storage_engine=MyISAM

I've used this config with MariaDB 5.3 (MySQL 5.5?), it was eating about 300MB of my memory, LowEndScript only eats 25MB, lol