Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FreeBSD or Linux
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

FreeBSD or Linux

elgselgs Member

I'm planning to move all my database servers (about 10) from Ubuntu to FreeBSD, as I read some people saying FreeBSD has much smaller memory footprint. And my databases keeps running out of memory these days. I played with FreeBSD for a while, and I generally feel comfortable with it. I'm wondering whether you guy have any comments on these twos OS'es? Thanks.

Comments

• ReetusReetus Member

There was a time in my life that I preferred FreeBSD (and NetBSD when I used to collect old Sun hardware)...

But after using Debian for the past 10 years or so, I recently made a FreeBSD VM on my dedi, FreeBSD feels old and crusty.

So although not about performance, I'm sure you probably could cut Debian down to be close to FreeBSD.

• Debian is much more cool. It is a co-operative. People are motivated by doing excellent things.Maybe you can have a try.

• elgselgs Member

@lyytwenty said:
    Debian is much more cool. It is a co-operative. People are motivated by doing excellent things.Maybe you can have a try.

What did you mean by co-operative with Debian?

• sinsin Member

All I use nowadays is Debian...I have just gotten so used to setting up Debian servers that it feels awkward if I try using non-debian based distros or any BSD (someday I hope to play around and learn a bsd operating system). I do plan on trying out SUSE's new thing they plan on releasing in around November where they are using SUSE Enterprise as a base and supposedly making more longterm releases.

• Ubuntu (along with other big distros) pull in more packages by default which leads to higher memory usage. Debian has a slimmer profile allowing a minimal installation to use less resources.

While the BSDs are architecturally superior in certain aspects, your decision should be based upon which platform you're more comfortable with managing going forward.

elgs said: my databases keeps running out of memory these days

If you already hitting memory limit issues, then a FreeBSD migration may not necessarily solve them.

If you wish, you can still see if using Debian or FreeBSD works out better for you.

However, time is money, so I'd suggest you optimise your DB configuration and/or move the DBs to systems with more resources.

Thanked by 3elgs sin Clouvider