Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommended Config for Easy Apache? (Heavy Classified Wordpress WebSites)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Recommended Config for Easy Apache? (Heavy Classified Wordpress WebSites)

UknownUknown Member

I need some help setting up Easy Apache for a VPS to optimize it for heavy classified wordpress websites to make them load faster while eating less resources (using cache plugins didn't help much). Is there anyone here who did this in past and would like to share the experience?

Also which PHP handler you will recommend in this case?

Comments

• There's not much you can expect from that front, the web server is not your bottleneck.

• if you really want to make wordpress scream, you will have to customize your setup a bit. here's a great read: https://ewan.im/900/10-million-hits-a-day-with-wordpress-using-a-15-server

• wychwych Member

What cache plugins did you use?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2015

Event MPM. Spend the rest of your time deleting plugins on Wordpress.

Thanked by 1mehargags
  • UknownUknown Member

@wych said:
    What cache plugins did you use?

Almost everyone available in wordpress plugin directory (w3t, spuer cache etc). They didn't work well for me to decrease load and another problem is they sometime serve mobile cached files into desktop users and sometime they also show the cached content that i hided from specific country users (using cloudflare detect country)

• Have you considered using Nginx?

• UknownUknown Member

@Jar said:
    Event MPM. Spend the rest of your time deleting plugins on Wordpress.

ok i will recompile apache with MPM Event enabled.

I am using Apache 2.4+PHP 5.5 which handler would you recommend fast cgi or suphp

• UknownUknown Member

@lyytwenty said:
    Have you considered using Nginx?

Maybe my knowledge about Nginx isn't that good because i heard it's only fast if your site is serving static files and doesn't help much for php+mysql sites?

@Uknown said:
    I am using Apache 2.4+PHP 5.5 which handler would you recommend fast cgi or suphp

SuPHP or you'll be surprised at how things operate. Most people running cPanel expect a certain type of environment and suPHP is key to that.

• UknownUknown Member

@Jar said:
    SuPHP or you'll be surprised at how things operate. Most people running cPanel expect a certain type of environment and suPHP is key to that.

thanks i will try it i just saw that it can help detect which cpanel user is running the script that is eating the resources instead of showing nobody/apache as user for all.

• UknownUknown Member

Also i have another question which i want to ask here instead of opening another thread.

I have a site that continuously comes under attack by someone and i am unable to identify what kind of what attack is that and how to get rid of it because i moved the site to at least 3 ddos protected shared hosts and vps but issues still exist.

This attacks doesn't eat the bandwidth at all what it does is that it create pressure in CPU continuously and get it to the point where site becomes offline and on VPS the cpu load get to as much as 50+. As soon as i enable Cloudflare Under Attack mode (where use have to wait 5 second for a browser check before accessing site) the cpu comes back to normal. That site is also in wordpress is it some kind of attack on php to create this cpu load and why the ddos protected hosting can't handle it while Cloudflare under attack mode helps me get cpu back to normal?

• Jar said: SuPHP or you'll be surprised at how things operate. Most people running cPanel expect a certain type of environment and suPHP is key to that.

cough modruid2 endcough

Thanked by 1jar

@Rallias said:
    cough modruid2 endcough

Fair point ;)

• bulltenbullten Member
    edited July 2015

I hope you are hosting single website. As per handler choose DSO , as this is most light weight handler and also fast. Next enable APC which is compatible with DSO can be enabled. Never use All in one seo plugin for high traffic site because that takes huge resource on the server. Enabling WP super cache will also help you in minimizing load. According to wordpress a certain structure of permalink can also cause unexpected load on server. I don't remember the article but you can search online.There are N number of things you can do to optimize your wordpress site but its based on your expertise.

If you want to use fastcgi do remember your server should have good resource available or else If you are going to host single site just go with DSO.

• wychwych Member

Yoast & WP Supercache.

I would check your apache is hardened against DOS attacks.

Also what template are you using? Some of the ones I have seen are god-awful.

• AlbaHostAlbaHost Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2015

@datarealm said:
    if you really want to make wordpress scream, you will have to customize your setup a bit. here's a great read: https://ewan.im/900/10-million-hits-a-day-with-wordpress-using-a-15-server

+1 for this, we used it in many wordpress sites and it has really great performance.

• Optimize combination is nginx/hiawatha (better DDos protect + static file handling) + Apache 2.4 (with php-fpm + mod-pagespeed + opcache + memcached) + wordpress (with enable cache in wordfence plugins).

• UknownUknown Member

Thanks for the replies guys the theme i am using is from theme forest and it's quite popular with regular updates so i guess the issue is not with the theme. @bullten i am hosting multiple sites but i will try DSO as well or maybe try fcgi, dso and suphp all one by on for a couple of days to see how it works?

• Uknown said: i am hosting multiple sites but i will try DSO as well or maybe try fcgi, dso and suphp all one by on for a couple of days to see how it works?

If you plan on sticking with cPanel, the name of the performance game is mod_ruid2, mariadb 10.0, php 5.5. Possibly consider LiteSpeed as it does increase perf.

• UknownUknown Member

@Rallias said:
    If you plan on sticking with cPanel, the name of the performance game is mod_ruid2, mariadb 10.0, php 5.5. Possibly consider LiteSpeed as it does increase perf.

I don't know anything about mariadb? is it going to work my current mysql wordpress databases if so how?

• Uknown said: I don't know anything about mariadb? is it going to work my current mysql wordpress databases if so how?

Make sure to take a backup, but absolutely, it should be a seamless upgrade.

• UknownUknown Member

@Rallias said:
    Make sure to take a backup, but absolutely, it should be a seamless upgrade.

Yes backup always my priority ok i will do a mariadb installation on my cpanel server and enable mod_ruid2 with php 5.5 that is already using to see how it works. Will think about getting a LiteSpeed server license.

• nagugnagug Member
    edited July 2015
    • replace mysql -> mariadb or percona
    • use caching for db - memcahced helps
    • use apc or equivalent for php speedup
    • use cloudflare or any other CDN
    • use plugins like w3tc helps

nginx/varnish could help reduce the load on the server

If you have multiple VPS, try using tiered architecture. Might need to use multi-db or similar.

if you are game for bleedding edge. then try HHVM and nginx. HHVM is not yet very stable and hence configure normal php route as failover mechanism.

• nunimnunim Member

You need to sort out your caching plugin situation before you're going to be able to expect too much from the webserver. mpm_event + FastCGI works very well for me but it's no substitute to a proper caching plugin like W3 Total Cache.