Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Thoughts on HostingCon - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

My Thoughts on HostingCon

2»

Comments

• @TheLinuxBug said:
    Dillybob I have been borderline on agreeing with you anyways, but this just seems kinda silly. The idea is it is both a learning experience and a chance to relax from what would be the normal stress of a week. You go and listen to the keynotes and learn during the day and then try to meet new people and network with people in the evenings. This is often helped, especially in large groups of awkward nerds, by adding a bit of alcohol to relax things.

These events are meant mostly for adults, so I can see how a younger audience would see this as a bit strange for a learning environment. However, used in the correct context to further meeting new people in a relaxed environment, alcohol isn't all bad. Now those who choose to abuse alcohol, that is another story and not the fault of the conference.

I can tell you have never been to a hosting or related business convention, as this is pretty standard across all industries which use conventions to introduce and promote new products and allow a forum to learn about upcoming technologies in their industry.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thank you! Yeah, I can kind of see how it is more a of a relaxation conference, I just got put off by how they have wine and learning in their promo video. It just seems kind of self contradictory. (wine + learning don't really go together in my humble opinion).

Problem is though in today's age is a lot 'social awkwardness' as you said, is easily fixed by adding alcohol to the mix to relax things. I personally think that's the wrong way of going about it because alcohol is bad for our health and can lead to an addiction. I think just being friendly and already having that 'confidence' in a social atmosphere is far better than taking down shots or drinking. (I've never been to a party or in a drinking atmosphere or a relationship, but just my personal belief).

• wychwych Member

@Dillybob nobody is forcing anyone to drink at these events.

• wych said: @Dillybob nobody is forcing anyone to drink at these events.

That's true I just feel like I wouldn't want to be around other people drinking as I could get peer pressured into doing it, or get into a fight, etc.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

AnthonySmith said: Being under 16 will be due to child protection laws i.e. even if you are with a legal guardian it is not possible to vet the volume of people coming to the event, it is pretty far from a human rights violation.

@Dillybob did you write to these guys yet:

• DillybobDillybob Member
    edited July 2015

@raindog308 said:

Nah, it's not a serious issue where lives will be lost, or there will be torturing there :P. Just a catchy title I used to be honest. (to help spread the word)

• @Dillybob said:
    That's true I just feel like I wouldn't want to be around other people drinking as I could get peer pressured into doing it, or get into a fight, etc.

Why would you get in a fight at a peaceful hosting convention?

• @ItsChrisG said:
    Why would you get in a fight at a peaceful hosting convention?

Well, I mean wherever alcohol is offered, there could be trouble..I doubt there might be a fight at the hosting convection, but you never know. And seeing wine + education on a promo video is just a turn off for me if I were to ever 'WANT' to attend. They could appeal to a larger audience if they didn't include that imo.

• ChrisMillerChrisMiller Member
    edited July 2015

ItsChrisG said: Why would you get in a fight at a peaceful hosting convention?

Because Obviously he is not mature enough or in the right mental state to handle alcohol.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Dillybob said: That's true I just feel like I wouldn't want to be around other people drinking as I could get peer pressured into doing it, or get into a fight, etc.

You'll man up a bit when your second testicle drops.

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited July 2015

ItsChrisG said: Why would you get in a fight at a peaceful hosting convention?

-So we have a 500Gbps network [...] with over 30 different providers [...]

-No, you don't. Your network is crappy, I have better connectivity at my basement.

-Are you fucking talking to me?

-Yeah you, I bet you don't even have 1Mbps taking into account your phone's data plan!

Fight begins

• You should make one of these about how shit GoDaddy is

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Complaining about something you've never experienced and have zero knowledge about is extremely ignorant. I understand you are upset over WHT's success but it's not worth broadcasting to public forums with adults who understand and have experienced the real world.

• DillybobDillybob Member
    edited July 2015

KuJoe said: Complaining about something you've never experienced and have zero knowledge about is extremely ignorant. I understand you are upset over WHT's success but it's not worth broadcasting to public forums with adults who understand and have experienced the real world.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. You don't need to experience the REAL WORLD to know that something is wrong. By this logic, you cannot experience that killing someone is wrong without actually doing it...?

You have no argument and what you said is extremely arrogant. The irony...

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

False.

• @KuJoe said:
    False.

Was that an argument?

• 95%+ of conventions have alcohol available - RIPE and other RIR meetings are the same...