Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Thoughts on HostingCon
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

My Thoughts on HostingCon

DillybobDillybob Member
edited July 2015 in General

Alrighty, for everyone who has seen my WebHostingTalk worst of the hosting industry video know that I rambled a lot towards the end. This time, I got to the point and want to explain how HostingCon is actually a violation of our human rights.

My first contention would be that they are under no obligation to dictate what 'age' we must be to attend a conference or talk to other hosting providers. We should beable to learn about the web hosting industry at any age. Whether this would be attending conferences or talking to providers face to face.

My second contention would be they are contradicting themselves by allowing 'alcohol' to be used with the word education, that doesn't make sense and whenever there is alcohol / wine involved, makes it a NON-education learning environment. You can see this contradiction in their 2014 promo video here at 1:06.

And the third part starts at around 3:30 shows several red flags of their hostingcon full conference benefits chart.

With all this said please be cautious before spending that $700 :). Hope this helps.

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Fucking hilarity, cheers.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited July 2015

Please ban and take this shit to VPSBoard.

• Dillybob said: My second contention would be they are contradicting themselves by allowing 'alcohol' be used with the word education, that doesn't make sense and whenever there is alcohol / wine involved, makes it a NON-education learning environment. You can see this in their 2014 promo video here at 1:06.

You can teach adults. Companies do it.

• Traffic said: You can teach adults. Companies do it.

This is true to an extent, but an alcoholic atmosphere is not a learning environment regardless if they are an adult or underage?

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

Why care so much?

• LeeLee Veteran

@4n0nx said:
    Why care so much?

Because WHT gave him infractions in the past and have since banned him. He has SBS.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

Lee said: SBS

sudden boner syndrome?

Thanked by 2alaningus PrestigeWS
  • LeeLee Veteran

Sore Butt Syndrome.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

4n0nx said: sudden boner syndrome?

Thank you, the police in UK just will not recognise it as a legitimate disorder.

• Lee said: Sore Butt Syndrome.

Not really. I raised good arguments in this video. You're just clouded by your premium membership on WHT to not give a damn.

Want to tell me how alcohol is OKAY to be used in a learning / educational environment? Want to tell me how a company has the right to put a limit on a certain age to attend this so called 'learning environment'. If they are offering a TRUE learning environment at hostingcon, anyone should be welcomed.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

No, he has "Special Snowflake Syndrome"

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Being under 16 will be due to child protection laws i.e. even if you are with a legal guardian it is not possible to vet the volume of people coming to the event, it is pretty far from a human rights violation.

It is meant to be a semi casual place some alcohol is usually available at such events and again even if you are right, it is not a violation of human rights it is just a bad decision, example you can buy alcohol at TED talks.

Thanked by 1wych
  • IThinkUFailedIThinkUFailed Member
    edited July 2015

13 seconds in and he has compared them to Nazis...

"Nobody under the age of 16 is permitted to attend the conference... So by their logic nobody under the age of 16 can learn about the web hosting industry..."

Jesus fucking hell... Were you dropped on your head? That's not their logic that's your logic.

All they have said is nobody under the age of 16 can attend the conference... More than likely for legality reasons... I think you're just upset that you aren't allowed to for another two or three years.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited July 2015

@Dillybob I have been borderline on agreeing with you anyways, but this just seems kinda silly. The idea is it is both a learning experience and a chance to relax from what would be the normal stress of a week. You go and listen to the keynotes and learn during the day and then try to meet new people and network with people in the evenings. This is often helped, especially in large groups of awkward nerds, by adding a bit of alcohol to relax things.

These events are meant mostly for adults, so I can see how a younger audience would see this as a bit strange for a learning environment. However, used in the correct context to further meeting new people in a relaxed environment, alcohol isn't all bad. Now those who choose to abuse alcohol, that is another story and not the fault of the conference.

I can tell you have never been to a hosting or related business convention, as this is pretty standard across all industries which use conventions to introduce and promote new products and allow a forum to learn about upcoming technologies in their industry.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1Dillybob
  • DillybobDillybob Member
    edited July 2015

IThinkUFailed said: 13 seconds in and he has compared them to Nazis... N "Nobody under the age of 16 is permitted to attend the conference... So by their logic nobody under the age of 16 can learn about the web hosting industry..."

My point was that that a 16 year old should have the right to attend a conference and learn about the web hosting industry and interact (face to face) with providers. My nazism analogy was just a facetious comparison to the extreme.

It is meant to be a semi casual place some alcohol is usually available at such events and again even if you are right, it is not a violation of human rights it is just a bad decision, example you can buy alcohol at TED talks.

But, in the promo they are advertising a learning environment then show a glass of wine, that's not right.

Being under 16 will be due to child protection laws i.e. even if you are with a legal guardian it is not possible to vet the volume of people coming to the event, it is pretty far from a human rights violation.

I can agree on this partially, but couldn't they have said 'If under 16, a parent or guardian must be with you?' instead?

If a company is not letting you come to a conference to learn about something because of your age, is a violation of our human rights. It's really that simple. (Dependent on what it is, and web-hosting is perfectly fine).

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

This seems like it's going to be a fun read

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

/me grabs popcorn

• Dillybob said: Want to tell me how alcohol is OKAY to be used in a learning / educational environment?

If alcohol wasn't part of the "Educational environment" the world would be full of potential mcDonalds employees and not college Graduates.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Dillybob said: But, in the promo they are advertising a learning environment then show a glass of wine, that's not right.

Many of us are forced to similar talks and seminars and can't survive them without alcohol, what about our human rights?

• @Dillybob said:
    My point was that that a 16 year old should have the right to attend a conference and learn about the web hosting industry and interact (face to face) with providers. Why is there a limit?

Because they're a minor and they don't want the legality issues... Seriously you act like you're a fucking imbecile... Can we just get on to your next video and thread please?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Dillybob said: to explain how HostingCon is actually a violation of our human rights.

No one gives a shit about your silly crusade about WHT.

Dillybob said: My second contention would be they are contradicting themselves by allowing 'alcohol' to be used with the word education, that doesn't make sense and whenever there is alcohol / wine involved, makes it a NON-education learning environment.

You have never been to an IT conference in your life.

You have never worked a day in IT in your life.

You are 14 and have zero life experience on which to judge.

You are desperate to criticize WHT because they banned you and hurt your little feelings.

Dillybob said: My first contention would be that they are under no obligation to dictate what 'age' we must be to attend a conference or talk to other hosting providers. We should beable to learn about the web hosting industry at any age.

You can't even speak English. You try to sound like an adult by putting together phases you don't completely understand. "Under no obligation" does not mean what you think it means. One is never under an obligation to dictate.

BTW, what did Mark Shuttleworth say when you emailed him, pumping your fist in the air about an imaginary Ubuntu licensing issue?

• LeeLee Veteran

On Hangout...

Check VPSB looks like they deleted that shite about hostingcon, bet it was martin at least he has some common sense.

The mods here should follow the same common sense approach.

Thanked by 2MartinD raindog308
  • @ItsChrisG said:
    (image)

I would normally flag so many posts by a user as spam but in this case the images make more sense and have more to give to the thread and LET than Dillybob and his videos.

Thanked by 1ItsChrisG
  • I'm glad you see my point of view and I've tried to stop at a fair amount of images.

Thanked by 1IThinkUFailed