Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I refuse refund for those users who use VPS to attack others' network? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Should I refuse refund for those users who use VPS to attack others' network?

2»

Comments

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

Personally I'd refund them if they were within a month of starting their account. The fee you'll retain just isn't worth any additional hassle!

• Do whatever your TOS says you will do.

• If I was you, I would terminate the client immediately, gather up IPs, commands used, installed programs and names/aliases of that client. Print them out and put it in a file cabinet for the time being (Being just in case you, the owner, get a visit). I would also not refund as in violation of your terms of service and Acceptable Use Policy.

• everything @Derek says, I agree.

More than likely, you'll get a call :P

• You Must Suspend Them And Send Them A Warning First If They Still Do The Same Then You Terminate Them

• flyfly Member

Yes I Agree To This Statement As Well. This Guy Speaks The Truth!

Thanked by 1jar
  • @ whoever said paypal would give it bakc to them

Thats not accurate. Hosting is an intangible service. Paypal will not refund intangible services.

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: None of them has successfully taken our webserver down so far.

Be careful with what you say...

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@Brandon said: Be careful with what you say...

Damn, this sounded like a threat :D

• @wrhoton said: Hosting is an intangible service. Paypal will not refund intangible services.

Pay close attention to the funding source when viewing a transaction

• Depends on your ToS...
    There are some DC's that wouldn't care much if there is an attack initiated from their network, so in case it didn't make any special troubles for you, I guess you should work it out with the customer...

Regards,
    Tony

edited August 2012

@Tony_offshore said: Depends on your ToS...

There are some DC's that wouldn't care much if there is an attack initiated from their network, so in case it didn't make any special troubles for you, I guess you should work it out with the customer...

Regards,

Tony

cough ecatel cough

Also, I am not sure if I udnerstand you correctly, but do you actually tollerate DDoS attacks, as long as you do not get DC notice?

They can sue you for posting this out, according to the text in the end of the email. And they actually do allow spoofind on gige servers as well.

• Alex_LiquidHost,

I do, on selected DC's...
    Since our company only resells bandwidth+IP space (and sometimes hardware) from certain DC's, it is not our business to restrict certain activities that are OK both from the DC and the customer's point of view...

P.S.
    you're cough was correct ;)

@Jack said: I highly doubt Ecatel would take any legal action.

Also FYI It wasn't the email to me someone showed it me :)

I was joking :P

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

I'm not a VPS provider but if you can prove that they have been abusing their service and they of course agreed to your TOS which I assume says that they are not to use the servers for malicious purposes, I suppose keeping their money and terminating their services would be fair. However, I'm wondering if this will actually have an effect on the abuser since they might just be using stolen cc's to pay for the service in the first place. So I don't know who actually loses.

• You shouldn't.

• if they abused it no, just keep the money , if its misunderstanding just refund them. after all they did agree to the terms and services of your site/

• @Randy said: after all they did agree to the terms and services of your site

Thanked by 1Gary
  • @Alex_LiquidHost said: text in the end of the email

Those statements contain no legal power afaik.