Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Clients , will you trust more websites who has EV SSL? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Clients , will you trust more websites who has EV SSL?

Comments

• @MSPNick said:
    but the verification process is a bit of a pain in the ass..

Isn't it supposed to be a pain?

• @doghouch said:
    Isn't it supposed to be a pain?

Indeed. It validates everything which is a good sign :-) Comodo is a bit of a pain to work with is what I was getting at

• @MSPNick said:

Yes i got an EV SSL by comodo , it was a much more paper work.

Do you know anything about startssl ev ssl proccess? Or any paper work? Or the same as comodo ?

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2015

EV SSL is irrelevant. The company can better show they care about security by enabling HTTP strict transport security, having a good privacy policy, etc.

• CakeyCakey Member
    edited June 2015

vladka24 said: The fact that it costs a lot, and is such hassle setting up. I would consider it a factor if to trust it.

Ehm, we were able to set one up with literally no hassle thanks to geotrust.
    Like, it literally took a few hours in real, they didn't even request us to disable our whois protection just one call and one email and a halfassed uk made company, comodo is another story doe.

So no, I don't really trust it like the old times.

• @Cakey said:
    So no, I don't really trust it like the old times.

I heard good things about geotrust but I tried Comodo and it is a big hassle with them.

• As per My Point-of-View, Why We Can trust EV SSL Website?

1. It Displays Green Colored Address Bar which is #1 signal of online security
    2. Organization name will be displayed in URL which indicated website is verified & the business is legitimate.
  • I bought mine at https://www.gogetssl.com/comodo-ssl-certificates/comodo-trial-ev-ssl/
    Took 2 days, 50 bucks and a phone call.

• @Termiet said:
    I bought mine at https://www.gogetssl.com/comodo-ssl-certificates/comodo-trial-ev-ssl/
    Took 2 days, 50 bucks and a phone call.

Already got this. But for now i have to secure around 10 domain/subdomain :P

• elgselgs Member

@FlamesRunner said:
    I have two rules for SSL.

1. No PositiveSSL

2. No CloudFlare free SSL

If you pass the criteria, I don't care if you have EV SSL or not. Even a RapidSSL is fine to me.

I had two sites using PositiveSSL. Should I read this post earlier, I would choose RapidSSL.

• martin_w said: Organization name will be displayed in URL which indicated website is verified & the business is legitimate.

Any private person or sole trader can get an EV cert. It makes almost zero difference to a Domain Validated cert - One call and sending them company documents or an ID copy, issued in a few hours. I can get you one WITHOUT any call and just an ID/company copy and no address proof (Cross-signed by Geotrust).

I do NOT put any single cent more trust in an EV cert, same shit as non-EV - SSL is SSL. End of story.

• tommytommy Member

after yts.re (no longer in service/torrent site) using EV SSL, I lost my trust in EV.

• CakeyCakey Member

vladka24 said: I heard good things about geotrust but I tried Comodo and it is a big hassle with them.

Comodo is the biggest trouble I've had with a provider in years, one of my coworkers was working on getting a EV SSL and they just kept throwing him back and forward in the chats and emails to the point where he basically rage quitted.

So yea GeoTrust is really nice.

• tommy said: using EV SSL, I lost my trust in EV.

I was wondering the same. Even we find verification process pain in the ass. How in the world did they revealed their identity

• dj1812dj1812 Member

My vote for EV SSL, strict verification process and the green address bar can add more trust on the website. Users can easily identify that the website is authenticate and safe. I found an infographic that explains the authentication process and importance of EV SSL certificate.

Source: EV SSL Certificate: Display Green Bar to Build Trust

Thanked by 2ZweiTiger ehab
  • @ZweiTiger said:
    The question is...

So what do you think who has EV SSL. Will you trust more? What do you think about it? Is it important?

Yes, EV SSL Certificate is trustworthy in comparison of other ssl because of its detailed verification process for the organization.

@justin4869 said:
    The most affordable EV I've heard of still cost $200~300 a year.

In the market EV SSL Certificate available at low price under $100 with discount coupons http://www.cheapsslcouponcode.com/coupons/ev-ssl-certificates

• elgselgs Member
    edited July 2015

I don't trust more because they use SSL, but SSL is a must for a real business. Without SSL, I know all the data are transferred in plain text over the internet. SSL means my data is encrypted. I don't care whether it is an EV one or not. I think SSL should be used on every website. The encryption should be free, while the authentication could be payable. Shame on the big browser vendors making a scary red cross to threaten users if it is a self signed certificate. They mixed the concepts of the encryption and authentication, merely for selling their certificates at a ridiculously high price.

• Since 2004 till now, I've seen so many websites using EV SSL, but many of them also died/run with client/customer money.

So, EV SSL only makes me know that they're registered, but still, someday they will gone.

For example, just go with HYIP/Ponzy site, many of them having EV SSL, but they died after having many profit and run with client money

• @ErawanArifNugroho said:
    Since 2004 till now, I've seen so many websites using EV SSL, but many of them also died/run with client/customer money.

So, EV SSL only makes me know that they're registered, but still, someday they will gone.

For example, just go with HYIP/Ponzy site, many of them having EV SSL, but they died after having many profit and run with client money

Yes i agree. But not every company is the same. So... :) But anyway EV SSL is a good start to a client about a serious business.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • edited July 2015

Yes, I agree with that :)

EV SSL gives more trust to client with the "green bar", due to it's verification process

• @ErawanArifNugroho said:
    Yes, I agree with that :)

EV SSL gives more trust to client with the "green bar", due to it's verification process

Soon i will got my EV SSL :)

• Apologies for the bump, but I found this topic and had to say this. I once found a carding forum (offline now) with EV SSL, I was seriously like "WTF". So, this expensive cert. means nothing to me. I recommend providers to invest the money in something more productive instead of an EV SSL that might attract a few more clients.

• @Nixtren said:
    Apologies for the bump, but I found this topic and had to say this. I once found a carding forum (offline now) with EV SSL, I was seriously like "WTF". So, this expensive cert. means nothing to me. I recommend providers to invest the money in something more productive instead of an EV SSL that might attract a few more clients.

Could you explain? What is more attractive then an EV SSL or the website :P?

• @ZweiTiger said:

A section in your website giving details about your company (who are you and etc) is more attractive to me than an EV SSL certificate. Your company registration number is enough to verify that you're actually registered :)

Thanked by 1ben78
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2015

The infographic posted earlier (two weeks ago, but someone bumped the topic so...) was obviously peddled by EV SSL certificate authorities, given how flawed its logic is.

• Independent, qualified audit -- true for all certificate authorities, it's up to the browsers to decide whether or not to include each CA
    • Valid organization -- yes, that's all that EV SSL does, validate the organization's name in addition to domain name
    • Valid organization -- yes, thanks for repeating that a second time
    • Valid organization -- okay this is getting silly
    • Valid organization -- ...
    • Valid organization -- seriously?
    • "Only when everything checks out" -- just some added BS

If you trust "Good Hosting Provider LLC" more than "goodhostingprovider.com" then good for you, for the 99.5% of people who heard of them via LEB/LET it's meaningless though (there are other ways to verify that an entity is also a registered business if you care so much about that).

The only reason that people have pointed out to trust websites with EV SSL more is because it costs more. But really that sounds like a reason NOT to trust the company since they're spending money on things they don't need.

Incidentally, my bank does not seem to use EV SSL.

• I'd trust it, because that means theirs an actual business behind the use of the certificate. I'm sure the CA also holds all the information used to verify the business in case they get contacted by some sort of authority.

Disclaimer: The hosting company I work for has an EV SSL cert for the main site and a wildcard for everything else.

• They aren't expensive if you look in the right place. I can purchase one for the $30.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @vladka24 said:
    They aren't expensive if you look in the right place. I can purchase one for the $30.

(Trial ev ssl, right..)

• linuxthefish said: No, knowing that a green bar is connected with some address and business name sure looks nice but does not make something more trustworthy.

It's like buying a safe that comes with a $100 flag that means you have a mailing address, and buying a $20 safe without a flag when they both use locks from the same manufacturer.

I believe the process is a bit different than that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it also include sending over an ID and confirming quite some information?

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

It will be more trusted but maybe also your website will run slower.