Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's up with SnelServer?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's up with SnelServer?

FreekFreek Member
edited August 2012 in Providers

After InceptionHosting, another hoster is moving away from SnelServer. What's going on with them?
Anthony Smith from InceptionHosting provides the following explanation for the migration:

The reason for the server move is simply due to the current network provider not being able to deliver and regular unexplainable issues affecting all customers.

Is SnelServer really that bad now?

Comments

• @Freek said: Is SnelServer really that bad now?

AFAIK the whole Snel is moving to another provider. Cast @AnthonySmith.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@Jack - move to somewhere else if you don't like it :P

@Jack said: When did I say I didn't like it?

You didn't, but I'm assuming you don't because of all the problems and migrations etc lol

• VictorVictor Member
    edited August 2012

@dominicl said: @Jack - move to somewhere else if you don't like it :P

I think he was simply trying to inform everyone (including OP), on what's going with Snel.

@dominicl said: You didn't, but I'm assuming you don't because of all the problems and migrations etc lol

As you've said in another thread of yours..."don't assume things :)". :P

• Snel VS LSn. who wins your vote jack?

@Victor said: As you've said in another thread of yours..."don't assume".

Haha - that's true. I shouldn't really.
    Snel's network is pretty good when there aren't problems i must say :)

Thanked by 1Victor
    ping 5.104.224.1:

Pinging 5.104.224.1 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 5.104.224.1: bytes=32 time=43ms TTL=57
    Reply from 5.104.224.1: bytes=32 time=42ms TTL=57

Ping statistics for 5.104.224.1:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 42ms, Maximum = 43ms, Average = 42ms
  • @Jack said: @Freek you are a little behind Anthony sent that out a few days ago?

You seem to have an awful lot of accounts with different providers. :)

@Victor - that's not all he has - he has loads, trust me. Tests out every provider out there, haha. Nothing bad about that.

• @dominicl said: @Victor - that's not all he has - he has loads, trust me. Tests out every provider out there, haha. Nothing bad about that.

Must be loaded. :)

• FreekFreek Member
    edited August 2012

Thanks for the replies guys.

@Jack thanks for sharing those emails.
    I am not behind. In my OP I was referring to that email of Anthony. I even quoted him ;) I was just wondering why 2 providers were changing DC's, both currently hosted at Snel. But the official website of Snel explains everything: Snel itself is moving to another DC, so it's only logical that all providers that use Snel are moving DC's as well ;)

@Victor I have too many VPSes. I have 1 at InceptionHosting, 3 at Iperweb/Prometeus, 1 at Adeska, 1 at BuyVM and 1 at miniVPS.
    The ones I only actually use are the one at InceptionHosting and the one at Adeska. The rest is pretty much ideling. But it's good to know I have VPSes at hand whenever I need one immediately. Like yesterday, I needed a TS2 server within 15 mins :)
    I am not loaded ;) Computers are my hobby. That includes messing with servers :) I just like to gain some experience whenever I can.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2012

The current network is not 'bad' but it is not what it should be, when there are problems its almost impossible to get an answer as to what actually caused it, despite claims of redundancy a single line card fault takes out the whole network..

On top of this the sort of speeds that should be possible are not possible, try pulling a test file from leaseweb or ovh for example you are lucky to get more than 200mbit from leaseweb and a lot of the time you wont even get 50mbit from OVH.

There are also a high number of very brief disconnects experienced on a regular basis while most of the time you would never notice they are happening, I spent a good deal of time investigating this myself and found that when they occur we-dare simply drops packets (tcp and udp) with destination unknown.

This was raised with snel after enough info was gathered and they told me they had been aware of it for some time, after many weeks/months the network provider was unable to offer either an explanation or resolution which prompted snel to move everything over to i3d.

Having done some tests it is apparent that the i3d network is vastly superior and a lot of traffic goes in/out over level 3, ( http://www.i3d.net/network.php )

It will be a good thing long term, the long downtime window for the move is less than convenient but hopefully will go smoothly.

I am sure @Woet will be able to add more to this.

• @AnthonySmith thanks for the clarification. i3d's network should be excellent as they are one of the largest gamehosters in the world. Gamers do not tolerate packet drops or high pings ;)

@Jack said: Snel are offering a '10gbit' line to Servers too haha :)

They are?

@Freek no problem, to be honest that email I sent out was one of those ones that you re-write about 50 times, send it, re-read it and think.... damn that barley made sense, I will be sending another one in the comming days then another one 48 hours before the move and then 6 hours before th move just to make absolutley sure everyone knows what is going on.

I will also be available all through the night in to the morning during the migration to keep people up to date with the migration.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@Jack said: Well I was told : there is a suggestion in snelpanel for 10gb uplinks you can vote for it :)

I don't see them not adding that it's extra money for them isn't it...

It's also an extra investment for them, especially if their network is not designed for something more than 1gbps.

@Jack ah ok, yes that was me who put the suggestion in, I would expect to be paying at lease €75 per server p/month for the upgrade.

I imagine there will be a one off set up fee too as the server will need a new NIC.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited August 2012

75 EUR one time is not enough to buy a 10G nick and a 10G switch port.
    But 75EUR / month over 1 year period might cover the expenses.

@rds100 yeah sorry I meant €75 p/month + a set up fee

Thanked by 1rds100
  • @rds100 said: 75 EUR one time is not enough to buy a 10G nick and a 10G switch port.

WIth CX4 it is :)

• @William said: WIth CX4 it is :)

Ok, i am buying 10 of these. Where are they? :)

• a card is around 160$ with 2x10G, Switches are 7000$ / 48 ports = 145$ = 305$ one time - 100$ (75EUR) = 205$ one time, factor that over 24 months into the server price and it is only like 8,X$something

Thanked by 1Zen