Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hostress.net (Former GVH/TacVPS) - Data loss, multiple locations at the same time. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hostress.net (Former GVH/TacVPS) - Data loss, multiple locations at the same time.

Comments

• @AnthonySmith said:
    I should probably split this thread?

Nah make it the universal GVH thread.

• Anna_ParkerAnna_Parker Member
    edited June 2015

All my data lost. I don't care much, but it is offline, so I've lost access to VPS which I paid for. That sucks. New provider, "but some things will never change" as 2Pac sang.

Thanked by 1nexmark
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

Title should be 'Hostress have shat the bed'

1. Delete everything
    2. Force people to go through the hassle of rebuilding their boxes
    3. Consolidate remaining VMs into 1 server vs multiple in each location, save some money
    4. Never profit. Continue to lose money and pass around user data
    Thanked by 1Catalin
  • looks like 'node consolidation' disguised as a mysterious data-loss event.

• IThinkUFailedIThinkUFailed Member
    edited June 2015

@mikeyur said:
    1. Delete everything
    2. Force people to go through the hassle of rebuilding their boxes
    3. Consolidate remaining VMs into 1 server vs multiple in each location, save some money
    4. Never profit. Continue to lose money and pass around user data

You forgot step 5.

5: Rinse and repeat.

Thanked by 1Catalin
  • How exactly can multiple locations have data loss at the same time?

• BruceBruce Member

@JoeMerit said:
    looks like 'node consolidation' disguised as a mysterious data-loss event.

VMs can be migrated without this embarrassment.

• BruceBruce Member

@Nekki said:
    Title should be 'Hostress have shat the bed'

"shit in their own nest" would be a better cliche to use

• @Bruce said:
    VMs can be migrated without this embarrassment.

sure they can. but if you want to save yourself time and effort and dont give a fuck about the customers you can just say 'ooops we lost your data due to the previous owners! blame them!'

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Bruce said: "shit in their own nest" would be a better cliche to use

I have never heard that one before.

• Droidzone said: How exactly can multiple locations have data loss at the same time?

I was wondering too. If it was a one node, it can be happened. Even DO lost their VM's once.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

No one going to say it?

Thanked by 2iKeyZ ATHK
  • JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran
    edited June 2015

I wonder if there is a single person out there that will renew with Hostress when their term is up?

also I wonder if Hostress has ever had a client that just signed up instead of being acquired from a shithost.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited June 2015

I can't think of many reasons to have data loss at multiple servers and locations at the same time other than developing some wrong configuration and badly breaking everything or being hacked.

• J1021J1021 Member

@XFS_Duke @XFS_Nicole Are you going to stand for being inferred as incompetent?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2015

"Problematic host" + "important data" - "own backups" = "you knew it, but still failed".

Bruce said: 99.9% is such a cliche in the hosting world. really doesn't mean much.

Please dont generalize:

http://www.webhostingstuff.com/uptime/IperWeb.html

http://www.webhostingstuff.com/uptime/Prometeus.html

http://www.webhostingstuff.com/uptime/Linodecom.html

Thanked by 1Lee
  • wychwych Member

@kcaj said:
    XFS_Duke XFS_Nicole Are you going to stand for being inferred as incompetent?

You love poking the bear.

Thanked by 3iKeyZ Pwner adxn
  • LeeLee Veteran

@JoeMerit said:
    I wonder if there is a single person out there that will renew with Hostress when their term is up?

Yes

also I wonder if Hostress has ever had a client that just signed up instead of being acquired from a shithost.

No

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited June 2015

I might, depending on whether they can still manage to offer the 8TB, 250GB plans. They're not reliable, but still great for sharing, er, Linux isos. That kind of bandwidth is great for relaying data.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

Is "DTXOVZ1" Node affected ?? I'm there on 290 GB Plan !

I think, it's a trick. Because, Loss of Data, at a specific time, in different locations, in different nodes seems suspicious. How can the HDD's be damaged at this particular time ??

I think GVH Sold some Big HDD Plans & there was no space left for customers to use that & so, it (data loss) was planned to clean the HDD's !!!

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:
    Is "DTXOVZ1" Node affected ?? I'm there on 290 GB Plan !

I think, it's a trick. Because, Loss of Data, at a specific time, in different locations, in different nodes seems suspicious. How can the HDD's be damaged at this particular time ??

I think GVH Sold some Big HDD Plans & there was no space left for customers to use that & so, it (data loss) was planned to clean the HDD's !!!

That'd be 100% correct... until GVH v2 comes back with more unstable plans...

• GIANT_CRABGIANT_CRAB Member
    edited June 2015

I guess it is HO-STRESS indeed. chuckles

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

cleaning up all the test posts.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Mahfuz_SS_EHL said: I think, it's a trick. Because, Loss of Data, at a specific time, in different locations, in different nodes seems suspicious. How can the HDD's be damaged at this particular time ??

Well as one person has already commented they still have read/write snmp access from the previous owners to the nodes, with that sort of 'oops' for want of a better way of putting it I think it is more likely to have been a compromise with malicious intent.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Nyr said: I can't think of many reasons to have data loss at multiple servers and locations at the same time other than developing some wrong configuration and badly breaking everything or being hacked.

Multiple servers at multiple sites...I vote for hacked.

I notice @tdale has been rather quiet about what the cause of this problem was, which makes me suspect it's something embarrassing.

Thanked by 1lbft
  • Selective pruning of the least profitable, knowing that many will just walk.

• FredQcFredQc Member

Thanked by 1FoShizz
  • FredQcFredQc Member

Well, I think it's the right time to move away.

• BruceBruce Member

@FredQc said:
    Well, I think it's the right time to move away.

who to choose though, considering the low-rent nature of GVH clients. are the alternatives any less dodgy ?

This discussion has been closed.