Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hostress.net (Former GVH/TacVPS) - Data loss, multiple locations at the same time.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hostress.net (Former GVH/TacVPS) - Data loss, multiple locations at the same time.

AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
edited June 2015 in General
This discussion was created from comments split from: Hostress, LLC has acquired GreenValueHost v2 Clients and domain..

Split in to a new post as this is a completely different issue

Comments

• FredQcFredQc Member

Anyone have their former GVH / xfuse / Hostress VPS down for some hours now ? Client area gives me a Cloudflare error ...

• tdaletdale Member

@fredqc we are aware of the issues and are actively working to restore services. All portals are online.

• I'm conflicted if I should get popcorn, or if I should get beer.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

KwiceroLTD said: I'm conflicted if I should get popcorn, or if I should get beer.

• @raindog308 said:

That summarizes this thread properly.

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited June 2015

Recently we’ve discovered that there has been data corruption on some of our VPS Nodes where your VPS may have been hosted. Unfortunately, none of the previous owners of your services had any backup systems in place.
    We would like to remind you as stated with your previous providers that they informed you that backups were not in place so this was to be expected if there was data loss such as this issue now.

Going forward we have corrected that issue and all containers will be backed up weekly to an offsite location starting this week. We feel that backups should always be in place no matter what. This was one of the issues on our list to fix when we acquired the companies you were originally with before. However, only acquiring the companies less than a week ago we didn’t have enough time to do that before this happened.

If you have an affected container on one of these nodes it will be recreated and a new welcome email will be sent to you with the information. The current ETA is approximately 24 to 48 hours.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We look forward to continuing our relationship with you as a client. If you have any questions do not hesitate to create a ticket in our support portal.

If you have multiple VPS with our company we suggest trying to access each one, not every VPS was affected from this.

That was expected, from a firm associated with CVPS.

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

@Droidzone they probably accidentally did dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda

• DillybobDillybob Member
    edited June 2015

Droidzone said: Going forward we have corrected that issue and all containers will be backed up weekly to an offsite location starting this week.

LMFAO. Fucking knew it.

• hbjlee17hbjlee17 Member, Host Rep

@perennate said:
    Droidzone they probably accidentally did dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda

and from a selection of random vps nodes. cuz apparantly this happened on "some" nodes.

• @tdale You requested customers to give you a chance. See how you've fucked it up. You've deleted everyone's data, and still expect to get people to trust you?

Even the tenor of your mail is unsuitable to the scale of damage you've done. You've fucked up, badly. And I don't detect a hint of apology there. Blame it all on the previous owners, don't you? Even Jonny didn't "corrupt data".

• if your server is on la1 lassd1 chssd1 atl1 ch1. it is affected.

• gianggiang Veteran

Mine VPS was on LA4 from GVH and Tac, but it's on LA1 for now, and it seems all data gone (some test but forget to backup :( )

• tdaletdale Member
    edited June 2015

I'm writing one response to this because I'm busy trying to get everyone back online.

I did apologize in the email. Nobody had backups in place prior to this event, customers were told no backups.

I had plans to start doing backups next week free of charge but I didn't get to do it in time.

Backups will start this week after all the containers have been fixed.

I sent the email to anyone that was active in WHMCS so everyone knew backups would be in place in the future. There is really nothing more to say.

Liability was removed from having backups prior to this due to it being disclosed to the customer.

Anyone that has active services is more than welcome to make a support ticket. Ticket answering times are delayed at this time due to all hands on deck fixing the issue.

I'm trying to make this a better service in the future by taking backups going forward. There has been alot of progress on GVH this far and it won't stop now or in the future. This only affected a portion of clients not everyone.

I appreciate everyone's concern on the matter and it will be resolved soon.

Thank you,

Tom

• @tdale don't care about backups, just turn on the node please, so that I can use it sometime. You have to have a running vm in order to worry about backups, etc.

• @tdale said:
    I'm writing one response to this because I'm busy trying to get everyone back online

it sounds like there were several nodes that failed how can you not assume liability for this?

How do several nodes in several locations all fail at the exact same time, unless of course this was not a failure at all and was purposely done by Hostress...

• SadySady Member

Oh WTF, Both of my VPS are gone :(
    I've backups of one, but don't have for another :(

• All My Data Were Lost. LOL

• time to back to one year ago???

• That anyone still has a vps with the xth incarnation of this host after everything that has happened so far is absolutely astounding to me.

• MrVPSMrVPS Member
    edited June 2015

I removed all your data, am sorry lol.
    You should give min. 1year free of charge vps to the clients affected..!

• BruceBruce Member

quote from their website, LOL

Need a reliable Virtual Private Server?
    We have you covered..

• DillybobDillybob Member
    edited June 2015

Bruce said: quote from their website, LOL

Their whole website took them 1 second to find and finalize. A template that's been re-used 1000000 times, and they are just a pawn host placed by CVPS working under the table for promotion. It's an inside job, there are tons of these hosts out there all working for cvps just gathering intel / clients just like this. :D

• BruceBruce Member

99.9% Uptime

so, they have a few more days before their uptime is degraded :) 99.9% is such a cliche in the hosting world. really doesn't mean much.

hopefully @tdale will explain what went wrong, and why.

Thanked by 1W3HostingServices
  • linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited June 2015

tdale it's your responsibility to put a backup solution into place the moment you get access to these nodes. I worked alongside Duke to help manage the GVH nodes and I can assure you I implanted daily backups of VZ configurations for each node along with monthly backups of all the SSD nodes to one of the decommissioned TX nodes. You need to stop giving Duke shit for failing your duty at managing TacVPS/GVH, when you took over everything that goes wrong became your responsibility.

Backups for budget VPS's at GVH was never advertised, however all nodes had working RAID setups with monitoring so I fail to see how this is not your problem.

Oh yeah last time I checked i still had SNMP read/write access, did you remove this yet?

Thanked by 2rmlhhd FlamesRunner
  • PeroniPeroni Member

Haha, this is great! I got an email advertising their "HUGE" sale on dedicated servers.

Of course the email had a unsubscribe link... that would have been handy if it actually WORKED and didn't go to a "404 - Page not found" LLOL

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

@Peroni - flag it as spam - sorted

• @Peroni said:
    Haha, this is great! I got an email advertising their "HUGE" sale on dedicated servers.

Of course the email had a unsubscribe link... that would have been handy if it actually WORKED and didn't go to a "404 - Page not found" LLOL

As @hawc said. This is now just complete spam as they're not following the CAN-SPAM act.

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/can-spam-act-compliance-guide-business

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

just curious, what was the cause of complete data loss in multiple locations at the same time?

Thanked by 1perennate
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@AnthonySmith said:
    just curious, what was the cause of complete data loss in multiple locations at the same time?

I'm going to go for an early guess of 'shithousery'.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I should probably split this thread?

Thanked by 1mikho
This discussion has been closed.