Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feathur - The Github is restored.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Feathur - The Github is restored.

FeathurFeathur Member
edited June 2015 in General

I read a bunch of comments floating around LET/IRC and quite a few people asked that I reupload my original repo and keep going with the project. I honestly had no idea anyone even cared about Feathur until today.

So here's the new repo: https://github.com/Feathur/Feathur

I'll probably start fixing things over the next few weeks or months. I have a lot of things that I have to attend to at this particular moment however. I will be available on Obsidian IRC and Freenode as the user Feathur if anyone has any questions.

NOTE: I will not discuss anything related to BlueVM in this thread. This is not a BlueVM thread and I'd appreciate it if you'd leave me alone on the subject.

Comments

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Who are you? Justin?

• Radi said: Who are you? Justin?

Yes.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Good to see it back up.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Feathur said: Yes.

Just posting to confirm this the IP's match in case anyone is worried about any scams with it being a new repo.

@Feathur I assume that means the rights to it were not transferred to CVPS as part of the sale?

• AnthonySmith said: @Feathur I assume that means the rights to it were not transferred to CVPS as part of the sale?

Correct.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Feathur said: Correct.

Thanks for confirming.

• BruceBruce Member

OK, so CVPS migrated customers to SolusVM because Feathur was crap? if so, how crap is Feathur? compared to other panels, which are free/cheap, is it OK ?

• Bruce said: OK, so CVPS migrated customers to SolusVM because Feathur was crap? if so, how crap is Feathur? compared to other panels, which are free/cheap, is it OK ?

I'd say it's better than any other free panel. I won't comment on why CVPS migrated the VMs. That's their business.

Thanked by 2yomero alexvolk
  • LeeLee Veteran

Bruce said: OK, so CVPS migrated customers to SolusVM because Feathur was crap? if so, how crap is Feathur? compared to other panels, which are free/cheap, is it OK ?

Well..

Feathur said: I'll probably start fixing things over the next few weeks or months.

• @Bruce said:
    OK, so CVPS migrated customers to SolusVM because Feathur was crap? if so, how crap is Feathur? compared to other panels, which are free/cheap, is it OK ?

I'd say they're scared of the better alternative to their "custom" panel, which is still SolusVM after all.

• BruceBruce Member

CVPS comment was

One of the main issues with BlueVM performance was the Feathur control panel.

that's why I asked the question. they specifically accused Feathur as the problem. the reality might be they want to have one platform, so are migrating customers onto the one they already use

not interested to get into CVPS and their reasoning. more interested in Feathur and what future it has. would be more interested if it was license free

• FeathurFeathur Member
    edited June 2015

Bruce said: not interested to get into CVPS and their reasoning. more interested in Feathur and what future it has. would be more interested if it was license free

It's AGPL. That's virtually license free.

• MikeInMikeIn Member

Good to see you back Justin :) Back on topic, Any future thought of being SaaS like provider with Feathur?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Welcome back.

• MikeIn said: Good to see you back Justin :) Back on topic, Any future thought of being SaaS like provider with Feathur?

That'd be interesting, but I doubt there's a market for it.

Thanked by 1MikeIn
  • Bruce said: OK, so CVPS migrated customers to SolusVM because Feathur was crap?

No. CVPS migrated to SolusVM presumably because they knew SolusVM and didn't know Feathur. Feathur does it's job as advertised on the tin. They're taking a bunch of actions, not because they're actually good actions to take, but because to a customer they sound good.

• BruceBruce Member

@Rallias said:
    Feathur does it's job as advertised on the tin.

any VPS providers successfully using it in production? ie, license-paying customers of Feathur?

• Bruce said: any VPS providers successfully using it in production? ie, license-paying customers of Feathur?

According to my data it looks like there are currently 26 active copies of Feathur floating around with 193 active slaves. We only collect the # of masters and # of slaves though... so I couldn't tell you who they are. However it's guaranteed at least some of those are hosts.

• @Bruce said:
    any VPS providers successfully using it in production? ie, license-paying customers of Feathur?

NATVPS.uk did at one point. There is another NAT provider definedcodehosting using it production.

• I wish the base was MVC based, would entice me to have contributed.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Jono20201 said: I wish the base was MVC based, would entice me to have contributed.

It is

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

Best of Luck, Justin :-) Last Time, I was unable to use feather (for installation troubles). Hope to use it for upcoming days.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHL said: Last Time, I was unable to use feather (for installation troubles). Hope to use it for upcoming days.

Feel free to PM me if you have any issues or would like me to complete the install.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

I really hope the best for Feathur. It would be great to see you continue development of it Justin! :)

Having alternatives in the market place can only be a good thing.

• So is licensing the panel the honor system? Because doing a search for "license" on Github didn't return anything for me.

techhelper1 said: So is licensing the panel the honor system? Because doing a search for "license" on Github didn't return anything for me.

???

https://github.com/Feathur/Feathur/blob/develop/License.txt

• @perennate I meant licensing for commercial usage, $3.50/server/month.

edited June 2015

techhelper1 said: I meant licensing for commercial usage, $3.50/server/month.

It is released under AGPL. There is no restriction on commercial usage in the AGPL. The commercial license for Feathur came before they released it under AGPL. See http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/384333/#Comment_384333

• @perennate Thanks for the clarification. The website still has the cost on it as well, which is also why I asked.

• I suggest to use composer and after all use somekind of excellent php frameworks (cphp is too "raw").

Complete rewrite is needed that's for sure.