Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where do you back up your family pics?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Where do you back up your family pics?

sonicsonic Veteran
edited August 2012 in Help
  1. External Hard Drives
  2. Flickr, Photobucket, Imgur,...
  3. Cloud service like: dropbox, skydrive,...
  4. Low end VPS
    ......others....

I have 20GB family pics on my PC and i want to backup it online.

Flickr, Photobucket takes me 24$/year for Premium account (free account can views some recently pics only)
Dropbox, Skydrive is good choice but low storage with free account

Should i buy low end vps for this? VPS with 128mb ram, 30gb raid protected shoud be enough. Then i can install wordpress with galery plugin,...

Comments

• @sonic said: 30gb

You get 25GB free with SkyDrive provided that you preserved your storage a few months ago...
    Also if you are on a tight budget go GoDaddy. https://www.godaddy.com/email/online-storage.aspx?ci=72975

Thanked by 1sonic
  • If you concerns about your privacy, save them locally in External HDD.

Thanked by 1sonic
  • 0.20/m cents on AWS Glacier.

Thanked by 1sonic
  • I shouldn't need to tell you this, but if you use an LEB, get more than one and make distributed backups. Set up scripts to do it for you so you don't get lazy and potentially lose stuff. If you want to throw some money at it, set up a network-attached RAID.

Thanked by 1sonic
  • I got mine backed up to a redundant NAS & Dropbox, plus also a copy on time machine.

Thanked by 2sonic TheHackBox
  • I backup mine on photo paper.

• I use My NAS device Using WD Anywhere Backup (Which is then backed up to a server weekly) I also use http://www.livedrive.com/

Thanked by 1sonic
  • gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

iDrive

Thanked by 1sonic
  • CiriumCirium Member
    edited August 2012

I have myself a lovely acer aspire windows home server with 9TB HD.

(costs $150 for server with 1TB HD, other HD's are extra)

I like the software on it, backs up all the of PC's in the house on a schedule, sits beside my router with 1gbps connectivity, and I use it to stream movies to phones and such.

It's a lovely little machine.

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows/products/windows-home-server

Thanked by 1sonic
  • No reason to get any "cloud backup solutions" or setup multiple redundant LEBs. Amazon Glacier would be the best option, but since it doesn't really have many clients avaible yet i'd suggest Amazon S3. 20 gb will cost 2.50$/month and it will be much more secure than some NAS, LEB or Flickr/Photobucket/Imgur.

Thanked by 1sonic
  • Glacier was designed for this purpose. Media storage I have already put all my RAWs in there and etc.

People are shy of it but its actually filling gaps more than ever.

Thanked by 1sonic
  • how about Catalystvps or Hostigation or SecureDragon?

Thanked by 1sonic
  • @ErawanArifNugroho said: how about Catalystvps or Hostigation or SecureDragon?

and TorqHost

Thanked by 1sonic
  • AshAsh Member

For personal pics and stuff, local NAS box and further copies on some good old DVD's

Not a fan of online storage services, too many incompetent companies getting owned these days.

Thanked by 2sonic [Deleted User]
  • ReeRee Member

1) Second hard-drive in same PC
    2) Every laptop in the house
    3) Work PC
    4) Website
    5) Maybe Glacier in the future

• One backup on another PC.
    One back up on an external disk I store outside the house.
    And one backup at Hostigation.

All backups are updated weekly during my "update and upgrade" hour.

• CommittingCommitting Member
    edited August 2012

I use rsync.net for the critical stuff (not just photos), they are more directed towards Enterprise customers, hence their amazing support. Tarsnap is also good, very secure and cheap.

• DATA D:) 2nd hd on my local PC

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Crashplan.

• http://www.zenphoto.org/ on a VPS with daily backups.

• All I have is a spare/old 640GB HDD, I use it to do weekly backups of my Data. Plus I Do weekly system Images via the win7 function of my C:\ SSD.

• sonicsonic Veteran

@SonicVPS said: http://www.zenphoto.org/ on a VPS with daily backups.

Daily back up to where?

• @sonic Are you looking for a simple backup solution? Or are you looking for an archive solution?

If you need simply a backup solution, any old drive will work. And I mean "old" drive. You can dump them on an ancient PATA utlraATA drive if you want. If it dies, who cares, yous till have the master copy on your "main" harddrive. Your backup solution doesn't even need RAID, since you still have the master copy on your personal harddrive.

If you're looking for an archive, where you remove the original data from your "main" drive, then yes you need some kind of redundancy i.e. physically separated data copies, example RAID or simply separate VPS copies.

Personally I archive data off my main systems out to BuyVM storage VPS. Then I rsync the storage VPS out to two others. One is at Hostigation , who unfortuantely no longer offers Backup VPS service. The other is at budget-vps-hosting.com where I have the VBS184. That way, I offload it from my home machine, and get redundancy over the network. I use rsnapshot to keep psuedo-multiple copies.

• bamnbamn Member

Everybody uses Facebook for this option. You should look into it

• u4iau4ia Member

@raindog308 said: Crashplan.

Any particular reason for Crashplan? I ask because I am in my 15 day window for Backblaze. I want an online solution, and was trying to decide between them both.

• Crashplan's cheapest plan is 2.50$/month vs 5$/month on Blackblaze's cheapest plan.

Anyway why do you people trust proprietary with your backups? Software gone == backups gone... For such important things you should rely on FOSS.

• u4iau4ia Member

@gsrdgrdghd said: why do you people trust proprietary

I have redundant backups within my home network, it's really for catastrophic type situations where all my HDD's would be destroyed.

• @u4ia said: I have redundant backups within my home network, it's really for catastrophic type situations where all my HDD's would be destroyed.

Like a fire. That is why I don't store stuff at home.

• I use Crashplan, I backup to their servers and also use their software to backup the same content in real time to another PC on my network.

• u4iau4ia Member

@Spencer said: Like a fire.

Precisely. That's why I have been debating between Crashplan and Backblaze. I have way too much data for a VPS to be cost effective. My data sits on a network attached RAID1 array, and I have backups on an external drive. But currently no off-site backup. Working on a backup right now, but it's going to take months for the initial backup on a 768k up pipe.